Gunner Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, like many, have a drawer full of holsters! As I have whittled down my array of hand guns I have been giving away those tat are no longer of use, but, I still have about 5 per gun! IWB, OWB, Leather, Kydex, ????. So, I decided to do a sort of in depth study of what really works best for me.

Now to start, I'm not a little guy, 6' and 280#. I'm not a fancy guy, usually Jeans & T shirt and Un-tucked shirt or Photo Vest and cowboy hat so for the most part concealment is not a problem no matter the size of gun. Dress-up might be battening the shirt! LOL

Carry choices / handguns have been narrowed to Sig P320C W/Wilson Combat Grip, M&P9 4.25 and Shield Plus 9. I Have 2 M&P 9s, a 1.0 modified with 2.0 palm swells, Night Sights and Apex Trigger (wife has the same) and a 2.0 Pro Series with suppressor height fiber optic sights. (these pose a problem with some holsters)

Holster choices: Generally, I find Leather OWB the most comfortable except for the shield. Due to it's slim size it just disappears with a BlackRhino TCS. I also find the Pancake style works the best for weight distribution and concealment.
For my P320 I have a Safariland 577GLS that I really like for the retention system but their 534 or their Leather version would conceal much better. I also have the BR TCS bot it it bulky for IWB use. I have two OWB leather pancake style holsters for this gun, a 1791 BH2.4s which I love and also fits both M&P9s and a Simply Rugged Cuda which is nice but does not hug the body like previous SR holsters I have purchased. Choice for the P320C Is the 1791, heavy, stiff and reinforced, actually over built for this gun.
For the M&Ps I have a Chicago Kydex, good construction but needs a stiff belt and does not hug the body well. I have a DeSantis Speed Scabbard from S&W I bought for the 1.0 that is absolutely great, hard, light and molded like Kydex but actually leather, hugs the body great but giving it to wifie! I have two equally good options in the earlier mentioned 1791 and a Simply Rugged Cuda that was made for a P226 Sig that fits the M&P9 2.0 perfectly (well, with a 1/2" extra length) and for some reason hugs the body and seems so much more secure than the newer version. This one is 20 years old and well used and still like new. I might have to look into a new belt though, my SR belt is about 25 years old. LOL

I have to say, with a the mayhem that has been going on I have been carrying all waking hours and given these guys a workout and at the beginning the Shield was my go to choice, now it it the Sig unless a camping outing. But, to be honest with a good pancake style holster I do not notice the weight difference. Sig to S&W is +4 oz and 2 rounds so not muck added weight.

Oh, and my gun and setup choices, they all feel the same when I hold them so to me it is like I am shooting the same one.

Just my thoughts, FWIW!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,356 Posts
I'm no better on the holster drawer, except my drawer is 50 cal ammo cans.
I have 7 models of holster for my 2 Guardians, and 5 more duplicates. So that's 12. OWB, pocket.
I have 4 for my 2 Bearcats, plus 1 duplicate. That's 5. All OWB.
Two for my 3 Zastavas, and both are duplicated. That's 4. OWB
Three for my .22 SP101, and 2 duplicates. That's 5. OWB

That's 16 different holsters for 4 types of gun, 26 total holsters for 8 total guns....:rolleyes:

I like leather with a belt loop and thumb break best, but only 5 are. I have 1 pancake I don't really like. Six are nylon. No Kydex.

Leather - Desert Gun Leather, Don Hume, Hunter, Mitch Rosen, TripleK.
Nylon - Allen, Bianchi, Sticky, Uncle Mike

I'd like a crossdraw for my Zastavas, but lucky to have figured out the two I've got, Hunter and Uncle Mike....:)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
12,032 Posts
I have a holster drawer as well. My carry 95% is a Sig P938 in the strongside front pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster. I have a Theis IWB hybrid that I think I have carried it once in it. It's a nice holster but the 938 is made for pocket carry. The other 5% (big city usually Tallahassee, FL) is a P320 SC in .40 S&W in a Simply Rugged Cuda OWB leather or a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB (another hybrid leather/kydex). The room for a IWB tends to vary with me with my caloric intake but I just feel more comfortable with the OWB. There is something about reholstering a striker fired gun that gives me the heebie jeebies and even more so with an IWB holster. Other times going to the big city I've been known to carry my P938 as I normally do and my Bond Snake Slayer with 000 buck in a Driving Holster which rides parallel on the belt. It's velcro attached around the belt so I take it off and lock it in the console when I get where I'm going. With the 000 Buckshot it's like getting hit with 3 or 4 38's at the same time which might discourage someone that wants to jack the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,356 Posts
Actual use, for my Guardians I like a Don Hume pocket, or OWB Mitch Rosen thumb break with a belt clip. Both discontinued, so I bought extras.
Bearcats, Hunter Snap-Off.
Zastavas, Hunter Versafit.
SP, Triple K.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a holster drawer as well. My carry 95% is a Sig P938 in the strongside front pocket in a DeSantis pocket holster. I have a Theis IWB hybrid that I think I have carried it once in it. It's a nice holster but the 938 is made for pocket carry. The other 5% (big city usually Tallahassee, FL) is a P320 SC in .40 S&W in a Simply Rugged Cuda OWB leather or a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB (another hybrid leather/kydex). The room for a IWB tends to vary with me with my caloric intake but I just feel more comfortable with the OWB. There is something about reholstering a striker fired gun that gives me the heebie jeebies and even more so with an IWB holster. Other times going to the big city I've been known to carry my P938 as I normally do and my Bond Snake Slayer with 000 buck in a Driving Holster which rides parallel on the belt. It's velcro attached around the belt so I take it off and lock it in the console when I get where I'm going. With the 000 Buckshot it's like getting hit with 3 or 4 38's at the same time which might discourage someone that wants to jack the car.
I forgot about the pocket holster, I rarely use it because the BR TCS is so easy to snap on. Wifie uses it occasionally when she uses a purse that doesnt have a gun pocket. I do like the Crossbreed Supertuck, that would be good for either the P320 or M&P.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bearcatter

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,356 Posts
Do you guys have holsters just for the range? I usually use my nylon ones except I don't have Bearcat nylon. Which means my OWB leather is rarely used. I only have it because every gun should have good leather, but I don't want to scuff it up....:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most indoor ranges around here don't allow drawing from a holster and outdoor only for competitions. I do have what I consider Field or Open Carry holsters, those not really suited for concealed carry. I do have one that I have had for 65 years that has served me well for a Fanner Fifty, Colt Frontier Scout, Kimber 4" 1911 and now a M&P 9, LOL It is a highly modifier WWII US Army surplus holster I got as a kid, had to do a little wet forming for the M&P, LOL That sucker has been around for a lot of years and seen a lot of different guns over the years, just can't seem to part with it. Wifie's M&P came with what they called a Range Kit and has a Fobus holster included.
 
  • Like
Reactions: bearcatter

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,356 Posts
I'm not used to indoor ranges. The one my brother "dragged" me out to was the first in a long time. The holster is for outdoors, walking out to targets or the "outhouse". It's unsupervised , and I don't leave a gun on the bench farther than arm's reach. Over the last few years, two people, that I know of, had handguns "walk off". Heard that one lost an AR somehow. There's been more, I'm sure.
That surplus holster sounds pretty durable! Isn't it a little big for an M&P?
I'm surprised that a S&W came with a Fobus, Israeli made. I like their holsters, tupperware beats Kydex. Like the belt or "Roto" mount, not the paddle. They don't make anything for what I've got now. I'd love one for a Zastava. I'd get the Roto for crossdraw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,356 Posts
I'll probably never use most of mine, but as soon as I threw one out, I'd have a need for it.....:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not used to indoor ranges. The one my brother "dragged" me out to was the first in a long time. The holster is for outdoors, walking out to targets or the "outhouse". It's unsupervised , and I don't leave a gun on the bench farther than arm's reach. Over the last few years, two people, that I know of, had handguns "walk off". Heard that one lost an AR somehow. There's been more, I'm sure.
That surplus holster sounds pretty durable! Isn't it a little big for an M&P?
I'm surprised that a S&W came with a Fobus, Israeli made. I like their holsters, tupperware beats Kydex. Like the belt or "Roto" mount, not the paddle. They don't make anything for what I've got now. I'd love one for a Zastava. I'd get the Roto for crossdraw.
Upon further research of the S&W holster, I opened the case and looked at it!, it is a Bladetech holster. Locks like it will do the job though. If she doesn't like it she can use the DeSantis Speed Scabbard, she has a Mini Scabbard for her Shield.
The old US Army 1911 flap holster has seen a lot of surgery and wet forming over the years!
 
  • Like
Reactions: bearcatter
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top