Gunner Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Site Founder
25,192 Posts
I'm going to load up some 200 grain LRNFP this week. I'll be using unique. Not exactly sure how much right now. I'm thinking about 9 grains.

Jim all my throats in my new Vaqueros are .446 - .447. I'll be reaming them this week. :)

· Site Founder
25,192 Posts
Deadeye the throat reaming is simply making your cylinder throats all the same size and at least .452" for lead bullets. Less than that and you end up getting some fouling going on. I did my Redhawk and the cowboy loads I put thru it didn't foul at all. I'll be doing both my Vaqueros this week hopefully too.

· Site Founder
25,192 Posts
Calipers are fine. The easiest way to check them is to take a .451 bullet and set it in the throat. If it pushes thru with a little force the cylinder is set up for jacketed bullets. Do the same with a .452 bullet. If it goes thru all throats with a little pressure the cylinder is good. If the bullets don't go thru you should ream them. I can't even get a .451 bullet thru my Vaqueros. They are real tight. I measured them and they are .446 - .447. That's bad. That will cause problems with lead fouling for sure.

· Site Founder
25,192 Posts
I agree that plug gauges are better, Jimbo, but with Ruger they are usually so far off that you'll know if they are undersized with calipers. Mine are very undersized. I'll be reaming them later today. Nothing wrong with having 6 throats all at .452".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.