Gunner Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's Your favorite plinker load for .45 L.C. ? :?:

I do have the box of 500 / 200 Gr. lead S.W.C.'s that I just got from "Chance", here in the "classifieds".

I also have Blue Dot, Unique, Red Dot, IMR 4227, 2400, WW 296,
& H 110.
WW large pistol primers, & CCI Large pistol & Magnum primers.
WW Cases.

I'm just interested in a mild to lukewarm load, that You Personally have used successfully, & accurately, in Your .45 LC. I realize there are probably hundreds of possible choices, but am looking to save a little time & money, with a favorite pre-tested load, perhaps even using the components I already have on hand.

My hunting load has been 25 Gr. WW296, & a 240 Gr. Hornady XTP, with WW Large Pistol Primers. I will probably stick with that, unless You have suggestions for that too.

I just got the cylinder back from "Cylindersmith" with the throats now @ .4525. They were originally .4497 !! I'm really hoping to see a rather notable improvement.

· Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Deadeye said:
Hey, could somebody please explain this throat reaming business to me. I think I understand the basics of it, but would like some details on it. Thanks!
Another problem occurs with tight throats is also ;
The most common bullet size for .45 LC is .452. If Your cylinder throats are as Bountyhunter's or Mine, firing a .452 bullet thru the .447 & .449 cylinder throat, resizes it immediately, thus creating quite a spike in chamber pressure ! Upon leaving the cylinder throat, the bullet is then too small for the bore diameter, creating a sloppy fit, except for the fact that the pressure of the powder gasses then expand the bullet base, back to bore size !!! So, . . . . . You are in effect, resizing Your bullets twice, each time You fire the gun !
To say this would effect accuracy is likely an understatement , to say the least !!! Ruger has likely known about this problem for many, many years, & has chosen to ignore it for some stupid reason, & continues to produce out of spec. cylinders by the hundreds, or thousands !

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.