Gunner Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked this up a couple of years ago from a friend (LEO) when he up graded. Only gave $ 200. I don't really care for the DAO in that gun it being a 30 S&W...just me I guess. Rich
S&W MODEL 4046

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Looks like a great deal for that price. You really can't lose.

My Sig 239 would be OK in DAO as it is single stack and I have good control. I don't think I would like it in a double stack gun as my hands are small. I guess it depends on your hands and grip. DAO itself does not bother me as I worked a lot on shooting revolvers DA and I am very comfortable with it, as long as the trigger pull is good.

Another very nice gun. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Agree, cool gun. I'm with Mac. DAO is fine by me, since I also shoot a lot of revolvers in DA, though I've been working on SAO guns, of late. Need to get some range time with the DA revolvers if the weather would let up a bit.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Many years ago I won $3100 in the lottery. I bought a Canon SLR camera and a S&W 5906. I tried very hard to like the gun. I even used it to capture two guys trying to rob my house. I never liked the trigger. I eventually sold it. You certainly got a good buy at $200.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I don't like guns with DA/SA trigger . My hands are too small for a DA and double stack guns . The 9MM/ 40SW Glock small frame is the only DA / double stack gun that fit me .

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
Back in the 90s I was at the range trying out a Starfire in .40 S&W when a young man next to me asked me to shoot his gun. It was a police trade-in service type stainless double stack S&W 9mm with the standard DA/SA trigger. He was new to centerfire handguns and was throwing the shots wild and wanted to knoiw if it was him or the gun. I fired a few shots and it grouperd fine so I suggested an experiment, with me loading his gun with single shots and having him shoot it. Classic, right? After two or three shots I gave it to him empty and sure enough the muzzle did a massive nose dive when he pulled the trigger. No reason as recoil was very moderate in the gun, he was just unfamiliar with handguns. Had him do a little dry firing while concentrating on sight picture and follow through and then had him shoot a few magazines loaded with 3 or 5 cartridges. Just a few minutes and he was shooting groups and very happy.

The S&W was a nice gun and easy to shoot well. Like TGR my hands are too small to properly reach the DA trigger on double stack guns, and unfortunately I don't care for the Glock grip[ angle or trigger, wish I did. I do fine with single stack guns with decent triggers but it means a huge number of good police trade-ins are not useful to me. Too bad.

That S&W looks to be a fine gun and a great deal if it fits you. You can't lose at that price in any case.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
My CCW and match gun was a 1911 Randell 45 for over 20 yrs till one day I had a problem in Globe Az where there was more bad guys then I have ammo on my person . Extra ammo and mags were in motorcycle bags 35 yds away and a bunch of bad guys between bike and me . :evil:. Now I carry double stack guns only plus a BUG gun . I will never be caught under gunned again ..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts