Gunner Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read some articles concerning shooting reloaded ammo in Glocks. I know it will void the warranty.

I met a fellow at the range that was shooting reloads & said he does it all the time.

Anybody do this? My Mom carries a Glock mod19 9mm & I have a ton of 9mm cases that are just begging to be loaded.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
All Glock has a polyxxxxx barrel and lead or copper wash bullets are a NO NO . Then polyxxxx barrel leads up super fast and drives the pressure skyhigh and since most Glocks are not full supported barrels the web of the brass is the weak point . A barrel to shoot lead and reloads run around 100 to 200 dollar ....Here read paste

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

But they really rock and roll

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjUDCyDCuI

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I wouldn't shoot reloads in a Glock...had a M22(.40)...was shooting reloads...my son, then 10, was shooting (outshooting ME) and suddenly froze...didn't drop the gun but went limp-handed...I took the gun...a brass shell had ruptured where it wasn't supported and sprayed him with burning powder...it was a few weeks before he wanted to shoot again...I knew the chamber was partially unsupported but he suffered because I took a chance...never again.....could have been brass fragments instead of powder...and ruined a bodacious drummer's hand....

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Now this is off the top of my head . 45ACP works on 20,000 psi , 9MM works on 30,000 psi and 40SW works on 38,000 psi . Now add unsupported barrel most auto loader use because they feed well . Now 40SW didn't match 45ACP spec , so they took a little out the web to get more powder in case to match the 45ACP spec for the FBI . Now you have a 40SW with unsupported case , thinned web working on a 38,000 psi and you want to reloaded it . And remenber 1/4 gr of powder is no big deal in a 45ACP at 20,000 psi but it is in a 40SW working on 38,000 it is a big deal . That why the 40SW is the only cal I don't reload for and case life is about 3 reloads or less if you have it pumped up . Now add lead bullets which leads up super fast in polyxxx barrels and that will drive the pressures even higher . I carry a Glock 27 in 40SW . It is lighter fully loaded with 9 rounds in it then my 1911 is empty , with the fire power of the 45ACP and a 3.5 lbs trigger pull make this a super gun .

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...hadn't known of all those factors...thanks...it was a bad mix from the start....

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Just better to shoot factory in glocks, ya can always reload for another 9 that ya have. Me I don't mess with reloading 9 MM I just buy some more I do pick up the brass for the brass bucket some day I am going to sell it if brass is still bring a few bucks or so.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
If your going to reload a Glock use jacket bullets only ... If you want to use cast bullet or copper wash , you must replace barrel with one like from Bar-stor or KTM , they don't have the polyxxxx barrels and they are a full supported also . When reloading a 40SW use extra care and a full supported barrel is a must . Personally 40SW is the only cal I don't and won't reload . The polyxxxx barrel is a problem in any gun with lead not just a Glock . My CW45 Kahr don't have a polyxxxx barrel in it and it will take anything you want to feed it and loves lead bullets .

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided I'll just sell the brass & buy bullets.

And yet, another reason I don't like plastic pistols! :?

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Deadeye said:
And yet, another reason I don't like plastic pistols! :?
Take a 1911 45acp and load it to 9mm pressure it will blow up . Over 3/4 of the case is unsupported . Every 5,000 to 10,000 rds a 1911 will need a tuneup , Glock will run 100,000 to 200,000 rds without a service . 2 drop of oil will lube a Glock for 5,000 rds and 99% of the parts are drop in and NO gunsmithing needed . But is nothing like shooting or the feel of a 1911 in your hands .

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
not in a glock 40 for sure...........ive picked up range brass from a glock 40 before and saw a------for lack of a better description------partial discolored "quarter moon" near the web of the case head.......decided not to pick up any 40 brass...........

i've known a feller who has gotton away with lead loads in a glock 21 for several years....and he is by no means a casual shooter......he has got away with it in the 45........but i still would not do it myself.....

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
How does that Kahr function? Been considering the Kahr .45 as a backup to my Ruger .45---are they reliable??? is the CW45 a new model or the first one made????

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Sheepdog, I have the CW9 for my CCW. The CW series from Kahr, has a traditional rifled barrel....the rear sight is not adjustable for elevation....the front sight is pinned, so no changing out sights.....the firing mechanism and all is the same thing in the more expensive Kahr pistols. Frankly, the CW series is the best deal in the Kahr line.....

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...din't know they were making but one .45---would the trigger action be as smooth as the higher-priced one??? Don't need adj. sights at all...may be the one I want....hmmm.......

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Hey, thanks....wish other companies would do comparisons like that!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts