Gunner Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ruger 4 5/8" New Model Blackhawk .45 Dual Cylinder Convertible
I bought some 45LC Cowboy ammo to play. A friend gave me large pistol primers and new 45LC brass to get started reloading. Just curious if anyone is reloading 45LC for Blackhawks. Not looking to create hot loads, more like cowboy ammo.

·
Administrator
11,367 Posts
The 45 C is made for cast bullet loads. If you have the brass that's half the problem and with the primers you are about 90%. Cast bullets can be had:
Missouri Bullet Company

I have had good luck with their plated bullets as well and have even used them in semi autos with success. Look for moderate speed powders like Unique or for Cowboy loads Trail Boss if you can find it. Start with a good reloading manual.

·
Registered
11,309 Posts
Nice gun, have fun!

Reactions: oldhunter1954

·
Administrator
11,367 Posts
I started with the Speer Manual. It is an excellent source. In addition I have: Hornaday, Nosler, Sierra manuals, Lee's self serving reloading book, the ABC's and Cast Bullet reloading. If I ranked them Hornaday or Speer would be top, Nosler is decent, the ABC's are ok, the Cast Bullet uses mostly powders I don't own, Sierra is in notebook form which makes it bulky and some of the loads are too hot for me. Lee's aim in his book is to tell the world how overbuilt all other presses are which means to me his are built cheaply. All of course IMHO.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt is notorious for small and even different sized cylinder throats. You'll want to slug your bore and and size you're cast bullets accordingly or order them 1/1000s over the bore measurement. You won't have any trouble finding load data for the .45 Colt. My favorite loads use a 255 rnf and the Lee 300 rf gas checked for hot loads using H110 or Alliants 2400.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt is notorious for small and even different sized cylinder throats. You'll want to slug your bore and and size you're cast bullets accordingly or order them 1/1000s over the bore measurement. You won't have any trouble finding load data for the .45 Colt. My favorite loads use a 255 rnf and the Lee 300 rf gas checked for hot loads using H110 or Alliants 2400.
Thanks. You are talking about slugging the barrel of the gun, correct. Do I need to buy a "Slug Your Barrel Kit" ? Or is their a better way.

·
Administrator
11,367 Posts
Thanks. You are talking about slugging the barrel of the gun, correct. Do I need to buy a "Slug Your Barrel Kit" ? Or is their a better way.
The chambers are in the cylinder. In 45 C they may run a bit tight and identifying which ones are tight and opening so all are consistent will aid accuracy. I know many that use cast bullets cut an 11 degree forcing cone.

Here are two papers that Iowegan a retired gunsmith and longtime moderator put together for RugerForum.net a sister forum.

Attachments

·
Administrator
11,367 Posts
As a side note I also have the Ruger Blackhawk Convertible 45C/ACP in 4 5/8". I had to have it several years ago and it has become a safe queen and will likely sell it this spring when we get back home. I have a SBH in 44 mag and a Redhawk in 44 mag as well so it was a bit of an impulse buy and not something I needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts