Gunner Forum banner

Ruger 77/357

8K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  tx gun runner 
#1 ·
#5 ·
That was my first thought when I saw the price but if the trigger is good and it is accurate it doesn't look that bad compared to a Rossi or Marlin and the cost of having it worked on. It seems to have the right add ons like sling mounts. If the real price is less than the list price it would look quite attractive.

If I had the bucks. :roll:

#6 ·
Now that I like! Looks like real world price would probably be around $625-$650. Still more than I'd pay for it. If they could sell it for around $500, they'd get more sales. I wonder how long it'll be available. Ruger sometimes puts something out and it seems like it's no longer available a month later. :|

#12 ·
Bountyhunter said:
Now that I like! Looks like real world price would probably be around $625-$650. Still more than I'd pay for it. If they could sell it for around $500, they'd get more sales. I wonder how long it'll be available. Ruger sometimes puts something out and it seems like it's no longer available a month later. :|
Completely depends on how well it sales.

#13 ·
i still think that ruger has hired away some of the taurus support team..............all these new ideas and models.......

the rotary mag ruger 77's have been around for a while but were always pricey. I still wish ruger would buy the old savage 311 machinery or come out with the capability to produce a new cost effective double barrel for the market. Currently, the only double barrel options i believe are from russia, turkey, and china.

its gonna happen sooner or later, but i would not be suprised if ruger starts importing and rebranding a few guns.............like a double barrel from china......

#15 ·
I'm excited about the .357/77....wanted to see this for quite some time! I'd think that after a while the price will be more reasonable, as is the case with most Ruger products.

Now, if they'd only make a "baby" SS carbine in the same caliber ( sort of a "minature" !-A )! Don't think they'll venture back into the SxS market again after the Gold Label affair. Interesting, tho', might be the creation of a Ruger slide action SG. With the metallurgy techniques and proprietary alloys that Ruger has, I'd think that they have the ability to "better" the venerable 870....

#16 ·
what's that saying? hind-sight is 20/20?

been thinking and have come to the conclusion to get around the rim-lock issue and also to increase capacity, perhaps ruger should had tried a tubular feed for this bolt 357..............after-all, it works for .22 bolt and levers and certainly works for 30-30's.

the ruger SxS Gold Label................what were they thinking???????? if i remember correctly the street price on that puppy was over 2 grand? and if the stories or even "lore" about that project are half-way correct, that entire gun came down to one point of production......barrel soldering/regulation.......and the ability of only one employee to be able to hand craft that point of production to ruger;s specs..........and with so much demand depending on the perfection of one individual for a mass produced off the shelf item...........the delays set in as well as profits got ate up....................or so i've heard. the gold label could not be massed produced to the desired level of perfection at cost savings to the consumer.

again.......ruger's bread and butter is the ability to produce quality firearms that are comparable American made to s&w, remington, winchester but generally below the competition's price point so the guns are financially available/affordable to a larger audience. When any gun goes over that one thousand dollar figure, it hits a psycological and financial barrier and in my opinion, 90% of the ruger faithful fall to the way-side.

a re-do of the savage 311 will set the world on fire.......or at least i think it would .............apple-crate wood and all with fixed chokes.........a "stage coach" variety would be a big seller and profitable compared to a class "A" english double......which in all honesty i believe was another one of Bill Ruger's personal "wants" that was on the design board with r&d during his reign and after his retirement.........not necessarily as a wise business decision but as a personal one.

the man on one had did take his customer base into account...........on the other hand, being the CEO, he also did like to do things he wanted for himself........call it that personal touch...... :lol:

#17 ·
I like the rifle a lot. I do not like the MSRP however. :lol: :lol:

I'd like to see them offer a Deerfield Carbine in .357 Magnum also. One in .480 Ruger may be appealing too, guessing Danny would have to have one. ;)

#18 ·
Yes Danny would definitely have to have the 480, This is the only 480 long gun I have and the #1 in 480 is way to much,. I have been looking for a 357 Marlin with out to much luck so this 357 Ruger is looking good to me. There is just something about having a handgun and long gun in the same calibers.

#19 ·
I have a new Ruger 77/357 ordered.
The dealer cut me a good price as I am a steady customer.
I am concerned about the rotary mag feeding 38's.
I like to shoot them instead of 357's when target shooting.
Hope I haven't made a mistake.This will be my first bolt gun as I prefer the lever guns best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.