Gunner Forum banner

Ruger 77 MKII RSI

17K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  chad8369 
#1 ·
My most favor-ite rifle in the whole wide world.....

Most of the time, i try to be "practical" when it comes to guns. Quality, function, utility above all other concerns. It does enable one to get by but it also tends to be a bit boring................

But every once in a while, there is that urge for a devilish, sinful indulgance in something that goes beyond utilitariarn.........something that tends to promote a self-centered, me-first complex that one tries to justify by the guns merits.........but we all know that it was the look that hooked ya.

My dance with the devil is the Ruger RSI bolt action. Ever since i first laid hands on one i've been compelled to own one. The RSI series in the bolt line is a marvelous carbine which was the first justification for owning one.

I've always prefered carbines over rifles for my style of hunting. Not being a "long range" hunter, i find it difficult to justify longer barrels in hot calibers. 300 yards is my self-imposed maximum effective range and the truth be known most of my deer hunting is much closer and under 150 yards. But the RSI enables me to at least reach out to my self-limited range abilities. The carbine also provides other advantages for my style of hunting. The compact size makes it easy to handle in the cab of a pickup getting it out a window (legal in TX) or in the confines of a small deer blind. She really comes into her own when walking. The balance is perfect between the hands and she shoulder's up right nice and solid.

Other bragging rights about the carbine are the features such as the usable iron sights for back-up application and of course the ruger scope ring system which to my way of thinking has to be about one of the strongest systems on the market today. I have the irons zero'ed for 100 yards as well.

The trigger in mine is decent as in the newer Ruger L-6 trigger series.............could always stand to be a bit lighter, but the break is clean. Might tend to it later on but it'l do.

Always been a sucker for nice wood and this one does not disappoint. The checkering is a nice usable touch as well and their ain't no slip and slide taking hold of her.

Never really tried to shoot her for tightest groups as she ain't a target gun. 1.5" groups @ 100 yds have always been more than adequate for my intended purposes. But I guess the important thing is that the mannlicher stock is not a hinderance for my purposes. Group size and point of impact has not changed over the years which was a concern about the full stock.

I guess if i have anything bad to say about this rifle, it must be the forward sling attachment. Rather awkard for me as i've always liked quick detachable style........and if you don't sling this rifle, the forward sling mount can fold and leave an indention in the wood should you rest the rifle on it.

The other bad thing about this rifle is that it has become my "fair weather" rifle. It's too dang nice and purty to take out in rain. And I sure don't want to low-crawl with it and am very conscious about protecting it from rough handling, scratches, and so-forth........in other words, she is babied and not worked hard..........i'm sure that will eventually change and she will develope some "character" over the years. But as of now, the "honeymoon" is still on. :lol:

Mine is a 77 MKII RSI in 308. Daughter has the older 77 RSI with tang safety in 250/3000 savage caliber. Honestly, I like her rifle a tad better. Her older rifle is a bit thinner in the rear stock grip area most likely because ruger needed more wood to contain the current 3 position winchester style safety. Her tang safety model is just more slim and the tang is prefered by this lefty......................she refuses to trade... :evil: :lol: Can't really blame her......the 250 sav is one sweet caliber with no kick. And it is her "lifetime" rifle.........

See less See more
#5 ·
sheepdog said:
...that's the most attractive bolt action I've ever seen...does it come in stainless??? Love that stock!!!
A gun wholesaler called Lipsey's a few years back did have a dealer exclusive RSI stainless i believe................think the caliber was 6.5 Swede...............

not sure but they may had at one time a stainless 257 Roberts as well but i can't confirm that.

CZ also makes a full stock rifle........and i do love the cz set trigger. But the ruger..............it was love at first sight and has lasted for years.

#7 ·
Very nice Deputy!!

#10 ·
You have two of those? And in two of my favorite calibers, I am envious and your daughter is extremely fortunate to have you for a father. Thank you for sharing.

Ya know, if you don't like that forward sling swivel, you might consider removing it and plugging the holes, then have a European style inlet sling swivel stud installed.

Mololn Labe

Kim

#11 ·
Machinist said:
That is really nice, Deputy. Right rifle, right caliber, iron sights. Near perfect.

What kind of scope is on it?
the scope is the weakest link...............sort of...........

its a bushnell 4x.....that refuses to die....i've always had a preference for fixed power scopes. And the bushnell was what i could afford at the time i got the carbine.........dang thing has held up well and won't lose zero despite the low price...it won't give me an excuse to upgrade........i'm thinking its the simplicity of the fixed 4x that has enabled it to last and hold up. I know this rifle desirves better to match it, and eventually i might try to get a better scope.......but Leupold fixed 4 is the price of a new gun!!!!

I've thought about the new Redfield variable in perhaps 2x7........just don't know..........but i think i would be happier with a Leupold 4x.

#12 ·
kim said:
You have two of those? And in two of my favorite calibers, I am envious and your daughter is extremely fortunate to have you for a father. Thank you for sharing.

Ya know, if you don't like that forward sling swivel, you might consider removing it and plugging the holes, then have a European style inlet sling swivel stud installed.

Mololn Labe

Kim
The daughter's RSI was well -used and with a rough spot in the bore when i got it...........but the price was way right. Despite the bore, she can still hold a group around 1.75" to 2" with her 4x scope. That rifle has a very sweet trigger job on it and far superior to mine.

I just can't see myself plugging holes on mine just yet..... I got daughter one of those "ruger" leather slings for her RSI. Think maybe this Christmas I'll ask her for the same thing........with a few hints... ;)

#14 ·
Very very sweet. I love the wood, and I love the iron sight backups. As much as I love my polymer stocked Ruger 30-06, it will never have the allure of the wood and the simplicity of iron sights gets me every time. My 30-06 does not even have the option of iron sights without some gunsmithing.

#21 ·
Your choosing the "RSI" is outstanding...there's something about th' full-length stock that just screams out "class act!" And th' .308 is outstanding altho' I, too, appreciate the .250 Savage cartridge.

Kinda want th' same...someday...in th' #! International, maybe in 7x57. I'm a "lefty" also and just don't do right-hand bolts well, with the exception of the Ruger 77/44, which has a very short action that I can operate without movin' the stock from my shoulder.

I use a #1 .308 now ( used but nice condition when I found it) with a fixed 4X. I watched n' waited for out-of-season sales on scopes and picked up a Zeiss Conquest fixed four power at a really cheap price. Like you, my effective range is gonna be under 300 yds or so, and th' combination of .308 and 4X will do all I need to do.

Kudos again on an outstanding choice and, heck, a little self-indulgence now n' then, well, that ain't such a bad thing!!!

#22 ·
thanks! :D

The RSI No. 1's are indeed a sweet little carbine. And are more compact yet than the bolt RSI.

As for RH bolts..........i more or less always treated them as a "single shot" that has convenient built-in ammo storage. I don't think i ever held a left-hand bolt until i was about 40. The LH bolt was so awkard for me as i was use to RH bolts that i never seriously considered one again.

a No. 1 in 7 mauser would be an absolute fantastic all-around carbine..........now you got me a wishing!!! :lol:

#23 ·
I had the same feeling on the LH turn bolt, however I have a Swiss K31 that I installed a Buergin device (for us lefty shooters) & a left handed straight pull is definitely out of this world.

When I first saw the post I started to drool a bit then immediately went to the Ruger website to see if they offered an RSI in a left hand verion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.