Gunner Forum banner

Ruger American Rimfire followed me home

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  303Lithgow 
#1 · (Edited)
I was working in Anderson SC today about a 2 hour drive south of Charlotte NC. There just happens to be a Cabella's in Greenville about a half hour back up the road from where I was working. I had a nice late lunch in the diner, I had the Wild Boar sandwich. It was very good, of course it is ham but not as salty and not fatty tasting like domestic ham.
And of course I had to take a walk around the firearms department. A Ruger American Rimfire standard caught my eye. The serial # puts it at around mid 2013 but this rifle was clean as the day it was made. I doubt that it was fired more than 100 rounds. No scratches or wear inside or out. My guess is that someone bought it and couldn't feed it so traded or sold it to Cabella's. It came with everything, extra cheek piece, magazine, lock and paperwork. No box but I don't need it anyway.
So now I have an excuse to go shoot it tomorrow as long as work doesn't get in the way.

#3 ·
Comparing the Ruger to the CZ I can't imagine that you missed out on anything. But for the price this looks like a very good rifle. I won't be shooting hundred yard targets wit it so I think it will do for me. It has a built in tip off rail and is also tapped for weaver #12 scope base.

#4 ·
Congratulations Seabee. That ort'a be a nice plinker.

#8 ·
Congrats again. If that rifle had been available when I bought my Savage 93 in .17HMR, I would have got it. Definitely give us a range report & let us know what scope you pick.

I have a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire 4X on my only .22 rifle, an old Stevens/Savage 954 & it is great for the way I shoot the rifle, which is 25 to 75 yards.

I got it after hearing NCG talk about it & I am glad I listened.

#10 ·
Good for you, Seabee. Reports I've read say that the American is a lot of gun for the money. I'll add my vote for the Nikons. Best optics for the dollar inn a rimfire scope. Even the straight 4x will bring out all the accuracy your rifle can deliver at 50 yards.

#11 ·
Range Report

Good news, bad news.
Good news it shoots exactly where I aim it.
Bad news I can't see the sights clearly enough to aim it consistently.
I need new eyeballs!
I have a Nikon Rimfire 4X32 currently on my 10/22 so I can move it or buy another.
I also have a Bushnell rimfire thanks to Mr. 303 so it may find a new home on here.
Or I might just pick up a new Nikon P Rimfire 2-7X32 it is real tempting! http://www.midwayusa.com/product/69...ts-bdc-150-reticle-matte?cm_vc=ProductFinding
I am also considering a set of Tech Sight adjustable aperture sights. http://www.tech-sights.com

I was very pleased to get the results I did get at this indoor 25 yard range.
Bad lighting is an understatement. Actually the lighting in this range is not bad out to 10 yards, beyond that it is poor.
I took four different types of ammo;
CCI standard velocity 1070 fps 40 grn round nose.
Federal Champion 1240 fps 40 grn solid.
Federal Target auto match 1200 fps 40 grn round nose
CCI Minimag HP 1260 fps 36 grn

Shot in that order all from a rest seated using 10 round magazines.
I started at 25 yards to see if I could hit the target.

The first round looked real good, point of aim was the bottom of the 3 inch orange sticker.
WooHoo!
CCI standard

The next 19 were spread out and climbing but the few times when I was sure of where my front post was they were where I thought they would be. These were all at 25 yards.

Federal Champion
First 6 at 25 yards It was easier to see the 6" Black target. But I was not happy with not being able to see the target.

I moved the target to 15 yards the rest of the 20 were much better. There is a group of five to the right of the center bull. And a group of three just below and to the left.
I had one get away high.

This next one is Federal Target 15 yards. For the first ten my point of aim was the bottom of the 2" orange sticker. The highest ten rounds are all from that magazine.The two rounds at the bottom of the sticker were from the second magazine where my point of aim was the bottom of the 6" black target.

This last one was CCI Minimag HP at 15 yards. point of aim bottom of the 6" target. That's all 20 of them. If I could see my sights more clearly I am sure I can do this at 25.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.