Gunner Forum banner

Ruger American Rimfire

6K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  rman43 
#1 ·
This is my new .22 rifle. The one I have is the compact model with an 18" barrel and the 12.5" length of pull. It came with both a low iron sight stock module and a scope sight module. I ordered the full-length scope module to give it a try. Switching them is easy - just unscrew the rear sling swivel and slide the module to the rear. The swivel screws into a nut in the module. They are a snug fit and there is no wobble or looseness.

The rifle uses Ruger's 10/22 magazine and that's a real plus. The 10-round magazine fits flush with the bottom of the stock, but they can also use the 25-round one. Feeding is smooth and positive. The magazine release is just like the 10/22 - just push forward on it and the mag drops into your hand.

The receiver is a tubular piece of steel and mounts to the stock with 2 allen screws. There are embedded aluminum pieces in the stock that fit into slots in the bottom of the receiver. This provides solid bedding and free floats the barrel for its full length. The safety is mounted on the tang - forward to fire and back for safe. If the action is cocked, the bolt can be worked with the safety on, a feature I like. There is a bolt release located on the left rear of the receiver. It is not necessary to pull the trigger to remove the bolt. The receiver is grooved for tip-off .22 mounts, but is also drilled and tapped for Weaver #12 scope bases.

The trigger is Ruger's version of the Savage Accutrigger and works pretty well. It's supposed to be adjustable from 3 - 5 lbs. I haven't adjusted this one yet. It's probably 4 lbs or so and has some creep, but breaks cleanly. I need to play with the adjustment screw and see if I can help it out. It's really a pretty decent trigger as is, but I think a little adjustment will make it even better.

The barrel has a medium sporter profile and it gives the gun a nice, balanced feel. It has a recessed target crown at the muzzle and is equipped with a green fibre optic front sight on a ramp and a Williams fold down rear sight, just like the 10/22.

The first time out I shot about 30 rounds of Federal bulk ammo using the open sights. I'm no great shakes at iron sights, so it was more of a function test than an accuracy test. I mounted a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40mm scope on rimfire scope rings for the next time out.

I bore sighted the rifle and took it out for a little bit this morning. The first shot was on the paper - an inch left and 2" low. It only took a few shots to get it zeroed. I shot a couple of 5 shot groups at 50 yards with Federal bulk ammo and the accuracy was pretty disappointing. I then tried a 5 shot group with CCI Mini mags and accuracy improved. The last group I fired was with CCI Standard Velocity and they grouped in a hair under 3/4" I couldn't get on the rifle range because of an SASS match, so I shot at the pistol range. Hopefully the next time out I can use a bench rest and a rear bag instead of a narrow shelf and a sandbag.

I'm impressed so far with this little rifle. The action is smooth, locks up tight and ejects fired rounds with authority. The stock feels nice and solid - not flimsy like some economy .22s. It's not pretty, but it's slick and functional. If you're in the market for an inexpensive bolt action .22, I think this one is pretty hard to beat.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the excellent range report, rman. That's decent accuracy, considering the price and the fact you didn't get the gun set up for shooting the way you wanted. Appears to be a well thought out gun, too. About time Ruger decided to compete with the affordable Savage and Marlin rimfire bolts. Looks like they have a winner. Also nice to know someone, here, has one in case we have questions.

Now we'll all have to bug Ruger to come up with a left hand version for 303. :)

#5 ·
Thanks for the replies! I've shot it some since the initial range report. That report was really about 3 weeks old. It definitely prefers CCI standard velocity and with those it's grouping between .5" and .75" @ 50 yards when I do my part. Now if I could just find some more CCI ammo... My grandson has a Savage Mark II FV-SR .22 and he thinks the little Ruger shoots better than his Savage. I'd say it's about a toss-up - they are both accurate little rifles. I needed another .22 rifle like I need an extra hole in the head, but dang it, it's a Ruger! What can I say?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.