Gunner Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a LC9S for my wife and am having firing issues. I can usually fire off two rounds and then it seems like something doesn't reset the striker/firing pin? I have cleaned it and the slide travels freely & smoothly.

Any ideas?

Many thanx.

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
Did you strip and clean when you bought it to get the grease and factory grime out of the pistol and the mags? Actually the manual has pretty good steps on what to do on P20/21. I couldn't copy from the PDF file and if you didn't get a manual you can print one out here:

http://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/LC9s-Hf8E3P74Sa.pdf

I'm guessing grease in the firing pin channel.

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
If a good scrub down doesn't do the trick and it acts the same with both mags then Ruger has excellent customer service. They should send you a mailing label for free shipping back to AZ. If they don't insist and ask to talk with a manager.

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
TGR:

I thought the problem might be grease in the firing pin channel not telling him to grease the firing pin channel. Guess I wasn't real clear on that.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
TGR:

I thought the problem might be grease in the firing pin channel not telling him to grease the firing pin channel. Guess I wasn't real clear on that.
No ......you were 100% correct . I watch people putting grease and oil on firing pins causing stringing and wild shots from weak firing hits . Also they let cleaners run in firing pin hole . My carry gun is dry and will run 500 rds easy and I will lube it when I go to the range to shoot it .

·
Super Moderator
10,891 Posts
I put a little grease on the rails after cleaning and clean the BBL and light coat of oil. Slide I wipe down. The key with lubes is to use sparingly not give them a bath in it.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
I knew what you meant, no problem.

On non-striker semi-autos, I've always put a drop of oil on a cotton swab and wiped the firing pin and spring. Just enough to prevent wear. With floating pin revolvers, like Rugers, I just put a drop in the front side of the hole. Never a problem. I haven't owned a striker fired pistol.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Here is how Glock works and most striker guns . There is no hammer to hit firing pin and use a spring on firing pin to hit primer . There is good and bad things about them . Most strikers have a super fast lock time , so oil or grease will slow down speed and travel [1/4"] of striker . That is why a Glock will run forever and I love them .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1VD1D1hLsQ&t=41s

1 - 10 of 10 Posts