Gunner Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a Savage Model 720 that was used to train air gunners in WWII. I've had this for quite a while now. The previous owner was an older fellow who used it to shoot trap and decorated the stock as seen in the pics..he was a good friend and has passed on several years ago. It is all original and falls in the number range for those used in WWII..69400-88500. This one's receiver has number 76638 and the barrel has number 77258 which is normal for the trainers at that time. I don't shoot trap but have shot it. I was thinking about redoing or replacing the stock but decided to keep it as is with the inlay in the stock. Nice old piece of Military Memorabilia.:p

Rich
SAVAGE MODEL 720 MILITARY TRAINER

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Fine old shotguns, for sure. Never owned that one, but did have the Remington version in the Model 11 and of course, an A5 or two. Also, a Remington 11-48, so the old shuffle action guns are familiar to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
im glad to hear youre leaving it as is. so many of them have been changed around, its hard to find ones in correct shape.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im glad to hear youre leaving it as is. so many of them have been changed around, its hard to find ones in correct shape.
I just love the old military arms and really appreciate the history that they represent. I guess it's just me, but I feel kinda sad when I see a fine old war time firearm messed with. If I want a rifle or shotgun to hunt with or target shoot, I'll just go find one and not mess up an old military firearm...doing that is like ripping pages from a history book. Rich

·
Registered
8,994 Posts
I just love the old military arms and really appreciate the history that they represent. I guess it's just me, but I feel kinda sad when I see a fine old war time firearm messed with. If I want a rifle or shotgun to hunt with or target shoot, I'll just go find one and not mess up an old military firearm...doing that is like ripping pages from a history book. Rich
Guess you better not look at my father's old GI 1911A1. I first shot this 54 years ago when I was 11 years old and it was loose then. When it came my way I just retired it but I decided it deserved to be shot so I had it gone over and restored. It was already a mongrel with a Colt frame and Remington slide so I was less inclined to see it as a collector gun and more leaning toward making it a shooter again. I was glad I did the first trip to the range. These old 1911s have charm for sure. I guess I also remember when surplus arms were common and cheap as dirt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts