Gunner Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me some advice on how to get comfortable shooting from a bench? My range offers a chair, a square table, and those supports that adjust up and down but not very much. I have done very little bench shooting but will be doing more with my new Marlin .22.

Thanks.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I used to hate shooting from a bench way back. I did it only when sighting in scopes for the most part. Find a good rest to set your barrel on, I used a small sandbag, and get comfortable. That's the tricky part. At least it was for me. I could never find a position that seemed really comfortable. You have to be relaxed and able to control your breathing while squeezing the trigger. I used to shoot 30-06. It was harder because you also had to check the recoil and make sure you didn't end up with an eye full of scope. :lol: The 22 will be easier because recoil won't be an issue. Just experiment and find what is most comfortable for you. It's like shooting from any position. it takes a bit of practice.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yeah, it's quite awkward. Plus the table I was moving has wheels on it, so it moved around a little bit. And looking through a scope at 50 yards, a little bit of movement shows up a LOT in your scope picture!!

So once you sight in your scope, when you're shooting rifles with scopes, how do you shoot? Standing up? Or using a bench and just leaning your elbows on it? Standing up and holding that thing steady at that distance is really hard too!

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I used to shoot strictly off hand. Standing, kneeling, etc. That's how I hunted so that's how I practiced.

Wheels on the shooting table probably isn't a real good thing. :?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
maybe the wheels lock, I didn't think of that. But people move them around all the time so that's why they have wheels.

Maybe I should get one of those bipods you see big game hunters using!

·
Registered
6,063 Posts

That is the classic pose for shooting a gun off a bench with a rest while seated.

Notice a couple of things, the rest supports the fore end of the gun, not the barrel. To increase accuracy the barrel has to oscillate the same way every time. Putting the barrel directly on the rest will change the harmonics of the gun as the bullet leaves the barrel.

Notice too that the free hand is NOT supporting the fore end. Let the rests do its job! You can put the NON shooting hand as a support to the elbow of the shooting hand.

Sand bags make an excellent rest for shooting, but multi-purpose rifle rests also work well. Small sand bags for a rear butt-stock rest also help A LOT! I use Sandbags most of the time, and find I have better luck.

When using a shooting bench, stability is your goal. A wooden bench is fine, but a concrete bench is even better. Make sure the wheels lock, or at least chock them in place with a chunk of wood or something.

·
Super Moderator
10,941 Posts
I like to bag it front and rear so the rifle is stable. When I work up a load that gives me the best results. If you need to raise the sights just squeeze one of the front bags a little.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I never liked shooting from a bench, but when I did it was to sight in a scope..
I always had plenty of sandbags, you can place them in different spots to get comfortable..

Hey..Johngoboom...nice info and good pic
If i had never shot from a bench ,that would have helped... :cool:

how do you shoot? Standing up? Or using a bench and just leaning your elbows on it? Standing up and holding that thing steady at that distance is really hard too
I would be standing or sitting on the ground...I practice the same way that I would be shooting if I were hunting.. :cool:
Here In Arizona, you tend to do alot of walking or maybe sitting and watching a water tank..
Also here in Arizona, you tend to be shooting pretty far away at times..

this was a cool post...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Johngoboom said:

That is the classic pose for shooting a gun off a bench with a rest while seated.

Notice a couple of things, the rest supports the fore end of the gun, not the barrel. To increase accuracy the barrel has to oscillate the same way every time. Putting the barrel directly on the rest will change the harmonics of the gun as the bullet leaves the barrel.

Notice too that the free hand is NOT supporting the fore end. Let the rests do its job! You can put the NON shooting hand as a support to the elbow of the shooting hand.

Sand bags make an excellent rest for shooting, but multi-purpose rifle rests also work well. Small sand bags for a rear butt-stock rest also help A LOT! I use Sandbags most of the time, and find I have better luck.

When using a shooting bench, stability is your goal. A wooden bench is fine, but a concrete bench is even better. Make sure the wheels lock, or at least chock them in place with a chunk of wood or something.
Thanks John. Excellent.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Eddie, I shoot the 10/22 off a concrete bench much the same way as the picture above shows. I will put down a soft towel or piece of carpet to cushion my elbows and cross my left arm across in front of my chest to grasp the right arm for stability. That way I keep my left arm and hand away from the gun. I rest only the fore end on the sand bags. The key is to getting your head and shoulders at a comfortable level and still be supported at the bench and then bringing the sandbags / rest up to your level. Never let the rest dictate your position in relation to the bench. It can be fun if you get the riht position.
I think I would hate using a bench with wheels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts