Gunner Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deputy's post about the suspenders got me to thinking about asking you all for opinions....my wife is wanting a new gun.....and, because she usually wears a vest (western dress), she has decided her preferred method of carry, will be a shoulder holster. Right now, she is considering a S&W 642, or a Walther PPK or PPK/S.

I've looked on Galco's webite, but, it can be a little confusing about holster/gun conpatability. When she walks in the afternoon with her mother, she wears my Kahr, in the Hume IWB, but says she doen't want to carry that way, because of sitting....If you carry at 2:00, like I do, then when you sit, the muzzle is right in line to make a mess of the Femor.

Anyways, do any of you have any experience with a shoulder rig?.....

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
From the few times I have tried one, don't bother going cheap. I tried an Unkle Mikes setup that was REALLY uncomfortable. Maybe it was me, but I like their products, and that one didn't work.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...SUCK!!!

on a more constructive note...have her check out paddle holsters...close, comfy, easy off/on......and pancake holsters....high and tight....

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
might i suggest that if she likes to wear a vest, the best solution might be just to sew a pocket/pouch/holster under the vest.........i've seen them marketed that way as dedicated concealed carry vests with the western cut/style and very sharp looking........will try to find a link for you to give you some ideas as the gun could easly be carried on one side and the ammo on the other......

the 642 airweight should make it easy with its light weight.......

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I have never wore one I liked, no matter the price or what it was made out of. But, she may love one, everyone is different.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I like the pocket hositer . In the summer slide in my ft pants pocket and fit in a vest pocket of vest or jacket . And in a jacket it hides better that a shoulder hositer . It's not fast but I can go to resturant and that my jacket off . And they are under $15 and 4 sizes fit all or it can modified easy like the one on the right .

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I wish I had a shoulder holster to send you so she could try it. My buddy uses one sometimes, but it's kind of a pain and doesn't really hide well unless he has on a jacket. I would try and talk her into trying a few other ways to carry first. I think the IWB, or an inside vest pocket would be better. That's just my opinion, and yours may vary on this and every subject. :lol:

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I talked to her about the suggestion that Deputy has.....she has seen some of the vests in magazines, but wants to see one up close and personal....wants to try one on.....She doesn't like the idea of IWB....I told her that just because I carry at 2:00, didn't mean she had to. What she doesn't like obout the IWB is the fact that you have to pull the shirt tail up with the off hand and draw with the strong hand....I don't know, I've never worn a shoulder rig, and don't think I would like it at all.....BTW: her brother's wife bought herself a S&W 642 this morning. We will probably go to the range tomorrow..... :D

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...ain't it fun to induct someone into the shooting family...especially if they buy the ammo and coffee...and maybe lunch!!!

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went to the range, all I can say is WOW, I like that 642.....After my BIL and SIL and wife shot it, I shot it....really easy to stay on target while staging the cylinder. Once the cylinder is staged, the trigger pull is really nice. We shot mostly 158gr LRN through it, but I also put some Hydra-Shok +P through it....it really is a nice gun.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I already have the SP101. The price and it being built like a little tank pulled me in. :D

I think we know what Wizard's next gun is going to be. :p

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know, BH....remember, I'm happy with my Kahr CW9....Now my wife might get her a 642, but my next gun will probably be a Mossberg 500 or 590, in 12ga.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts