Gunner Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now before anyone gets upset with me I'll say this all are bad and shouldn't be done by anyone. Chewing and dipping are safer than smoking reason many a barn have been burnet down because of a carelessly dropped or tossed cigar or cigarette. On the western channel Bob Bodell was saying there was a gambler that left a cigarette on the edge of the water closet, it ended up burning down 3 block of the town.
Yep ya got it I chew lol but not passing judgement on those that smoke. Its cheaper from me to chew than it is to smoke. We do live in a different world now I can remember my dad telling me he would rather I dipped or chew rather than smoke. He knew I was going to try one of them and was in his mind hoping to save the barn, and figured the dipp or chew would make me sick. Ofcourse I did try the chew, just like any other 5 year old boy I have to have a mouth full as I was going to do a full days work after I did have my barlow knife. Anyhow I got sick alright ya would think that I wouldn't chew or do any of it but I do.
I know I have stories well heck whats life for but to share stories of the life and times of growing up. I was raised on a farm sure glad I was, we was poor but shoot I never knew it I had all I wanted and all I needed.
Ya know I just notice that my messages can only contain 6,000 characters, Bounty Hunter come on now a man like me long in the story and deep with the wind? Guess I'll have to double post to get the story told lol.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
It's all bad for you and to ask if one is better than the other is looking for an excuse. Yes I am an ex-smoker, but never smoked where it caused problems with other who didn't want to be around smoke. I either didn't smoke or go where I couldn't.
Dipping and chewing is just nasty, and belongs out in the country where you can spit anywhere you want. I believe you should be able to do what you want as long as it doesn't interfer with others desire to do what they want. I have a couple of co-workers that dip or chew, and they are always spitting into an old coke can or a bottle.
Remember - you did ask for opinions-----

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I used to smaoke. I smoked for 12 years and quit cold turkey. Talk about hard! It's a nasty and now very expensive habit. Chewing is just gross. I know people who do and it's their choice, but all that spitting! :eek:

Snuffy I'll fix it so you can post more words. :D

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
I dipped Skoal for over 20 years and finally quit the stinking stuff. I also lost over 100 pounds before I tried to quit dipping. Quiting dipping actually made me feel even better than losing the weight. The stuff will kill ya, even if you don't realize it is happening. I can't say for sure if it was the weight, or the dip, or both, that gave me high blood pressure. All I can say is losing the weight did not keep me from having it, but quitting dipping did! Was taking pills for it for over 5 years, and now I don't take any pill, and have not been back to see no stinking doctors for about 6 years now. More money to spend on guns and ammo!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
quitin' is easy!!!!!! :D
heck i bet i quit dippin at least 4 times last year!!!!!! :eek:

What's hard is stayin' quit which i have not managed to do yet. :roll:

i hate smokin' as it's what kiled my daddy and brother. i lost my brother 2 years ago to lung cancer at age 59. But i'm guilt of chewin' and dippin'. I swore i'd quit when snuff got over a dollar a can. then i swore i'd quit when it got over two dollars a can. Now-a-days cope is runnin over 5 dollars a can and guess what? i've quit dippin' Cope but have instead switched over to grizzley as its a bit over 2 dollars a can.

Everytime i had quit, the wife can't stand me and runs out and buys a can to calm my nerves.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I didn't ask for anyones opinon, but your all welcome to give your opinon. I was merely tellin a story about me that's all nothing more. Bounty Hunter great now I can get long winded lol. Deputy125 lol ya got a point there.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
What's dipping?

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
It told me 6000 character limit, too, once last week when I got long-winded...betcha noone is surprised....60,000 is more gooder.....

I never did ciggys, I smoked cigars when I was a macho young cop....part of the syndrome...quit one day after I burned a hole in a new uniform shirt....never inhaled anyways....what I really love is the smell of a good pipe.....seldom found anymore...I do understand the addiction both chemical and nervous habit types...one of my uncles quit for 3 months at 43...we BEGGED him to start smoking...he was HELL to be around...smoking he was one of the nicest guys ever...died of lung cancer--at 72.....but happy....I've seen the pics of mouth cancer...you couldn't pay me to dip...and it's bad on romance...I dated this collie once who kept a lipfull...it'd drip down her chin and was a real turn-off!!! My advice to my boys was don't start...it might be hard to quit...so far, two of my five kids smoke some...one quite a lot....wish they didn't....but don't harass them....it's a very personal choice.....honestly still crave a good cigar now and then.......

·
Registered
739 Posts
OK, Let me say this. My father was my best friend. He was the coolest guy I ever knew. He worked on cattle drives in Utah and Arizona, rode in a few rodeos and was also the smartest man I ever knew.
He lost all of that because he used tobacco.
He was having trouble with left leg pain and the doctor told him he had “Nicotine veins.”
The doc said, “If you don’t give up the use of tobacco products, you’ll lose that leg within six weeks.” He added, “75% of the people you see with their legs cut off, had it done because of nicotine veins. Most people think it is diabetes but it’s not. We in the medical field call it nicotine veins because the nicotine takes over the tissue in your veins and makes it harden like plastic and clogs it until the blood can not flow through them.”

Dad asked what about if he gave up smoking all together and just chewed.
The doctor said, “If your problem was your lungs that might help. But it’s not, it’s your blood veins, your arteriolar system. Chewing a wad of tobacco puts more nicotine directly into your blood system than smoking a carton of cigarettes. Right now, you have blood flow the size of a thread in your lower leg. I don’t know if replacing the vein would help.”

3 weeks later, his left leg came off above the knee. He lay in bed, chewed, and smoked. One year later, his right leg came off.
Then he had a stroke and only had the use of his right arm. He made my Mother light cigarettes for him.
She died of emphysema and he went to a nursing home where he had one more stroke that killed him.

It was a very sad thing to see that great man lying in bed with no legs and helpless.

I do not allow anyone to use tobacco in any way, anywhere on my property. It has cost me enough.

Everyone Please, do your loved ones a favor. Do not use tobacco.

Thanks for reading,
John

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Deadeye said:
Its dipping snuff, ya know like chew'n tobbaco. I'm dipp'n now to stay off the cigs. Sure miss my Marllboros Tho. :(

I was hooked on cigarettes for way too many years and am amazed at how horrible it smells to a non-smoker and yet as a smoker I couldn't smell it on me or anyone else. There are times that I still miss it. Sometimes I dream I'm sitting under a tree smoking one after another. I hardly ever have a drink anymore because to me one goes with the other. I quit because I prefer breathing over smoking. It can be a rough road though. There's a new pill (prescription) that my girlfriends husband took to quit. He said it removed the cravings. If you're interested i can get the name for you.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Drummer said:
OK, Let me say this. My father was my best friend. He was the coolest guy I ever knew. He worked on cattle drives in Utah and Arizona, rode in a few rodeos and was also the smartest man I ever knew.
He lost all of that because he used tobacco.
He was having trouble with left leg pain and the doctor told him he had “Nicotine veins.”
The doc said, “If you don’t give up the use of tobacco products, you’ll lose that leg within six weeks.” He added, “75% of the people you see with their legs cut off, had it done because of nicotine veins. Most people think it is diabetes but it’s not. We in the medical field call it nicotine veins because the nicotine takes over the tissue in your veins and makes it harden like plastic and clogs it until the blood can not flow through them.”

Dad asked what about if he gave up smoking all together and just chewed.
The doctor said, “If your problem was your lungs that might help. But it’s not, it’s your blood veins, your arteriolar system. Chewing a wad of tobacco puts more nicotine directly into your blood system than smoking a carton of cigarettes. Right now, you have blood flow the size of a thread in your lower leg. I don’t know if replacing the vein would help.”

3 weeks later, his left leg came off above the knee. He lay in bed, chewed, and smoked. One year later, his right leg came off.
Then he had a stroke and only had the use of his right arm. He made my Mother light cigarettes for him.
She died of emphysema and he went to a nursing home where he had one more stroke that killed him.

It was a very sad thing to see that great man lying in bed with no legs and helpless.

I do not allow anyone to use tobacco in any way, anywhere on my property. It has cost me enough.

Everyone Please, do your loved ones a favor. Do not use tobacco.

Thanks for reading,
John
I didn't see this before John. This hit me like a ton of bricks. It's the best testimony against tobacco that I've ever heard. We all have choices - best to choose well. I never went back to smoking because of the smell and I like my white teeth and breathing. Your reasons for hating it are real and intense. The tobacco companies have forever lied to us. I will remember what you've shared here. I know a couple of kids in their 20's that I'm going to send this to.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Snuff is fine ground tobbaco that you put a pinch between your cheek & gums. It goes in your bottom lip, you don't actually chew it just kinda suck on it & yes spit a lot. The prescription you mentioned is Chantix. I tried it & it does take away most of the craveings. Its expensive bout' $150.00 a month. Thats about what you would spend on cigs. My problem is I'm a true Addict, I used to smoke Bong hits for breakfast, then twist up a "Fatty" & have a couple of beers for lunch (thats the "Construction Trash Lunch Break"), then by quitt'n time all bets were off! Then when the weekend rolled around I'd do the old "Yanky Cranky" so I could stay up all day & night Fri & Sat then crashout & sleep all day Sunday. Then start all over again Monday. Its like I have an Evil Beast inside me that must be fed something bad all the time. If I can't do dope I smoke like a freight train (just go to a AA or NA meeting sometime if you want to see some world class chain smokers) or drink like a fish or chase nasty women or spend the mortgage $ on "cool stuff" that I bring home drop in the corner & don't even take out of the bag. My Headshrinker asked me onetime what my drug of choice was, I said "More" (too much is never enough). I've tried the whole 12step/heavy duty praying thing, just doesn't work for me. I've stayed off the dope & booze pretty much for the last 8 1/2 yrs (I've fallen off the wagon & just drug along behind a few times but no big binges). I've learned to stay away from people that do (if you hang out at the Barbershop long enough your gonna get a hair cut sooner or later). It truly is a disease, its the only disease that you get in trouble for haveing. There is no cure & it will kill you sooner or later. I'm very lucky to still be kick'n, theres only 2 of us (me & my my old runn'n buddy Doug) from the old gang that are still alive & not ate up with cancer. The only thing you can really do is just learn to stay away from it & recognize when its getting out of hand.

I just love when the "Idiot Masses" start the "Just say no" Bullshit. Telling an addict to just say no is like telling someone who has Manic Depression to "Just cheer up". Don't ya think if it was that easy they would? Being this way is no picnic trust me. Some people are just born with it, I come from a long line of Boozers & Dopers. Everybody thinks "Their just out there have'n a good old time" & sure it starts out that way, but once you pass a certain point your just trying to feel normal again. I know have to take painkillers due to my Degenerative Disk Disease & Arthritus (every joint in my body aches like when you have the flu all the time). So I guess you could think of Addiction like physical pain but its in your head & you can't get it out. Quitings no bed of roses either, after I quit the booze & dope I started having Anxiety/Panic attacks. Boy wanna talk about a real fun time, you think your having a heart attack. My blood pressure would shoot up to like 275/150 (try that a couple of times). You can read a lot of medical B.S. about it but my personal theory is that all the chemicals I ran thru my brain screwed up my brains ability to balance my natrural chemicals so my brain (whats left of it) would just decide to dump a ton of adreneline on my for no reason & off I'd go. When it hits you your heart beats about 200mph & you can only gasp for breath. So now I have to take pills to keep those away & the voices from telling me to to get loaded, chase nasty women, spend the mortgage money etc.

Hope this helps you understand a little bit better. If you have someone in your family with addiction problems tough love is the only thing you you can give them. If you try to help them with money, a place to stay etc. it only enables them to stay in the shit longer. They have to want to straighten up or they never will. The sooner they hit bottom the sooner the may pull their head out of their ass. Unfortunatly some poeple have a high tolerance for the bullshit & don't make it till its too late. The ones that don't get it end up dead or thrown in to prison where they just get worse, because our wonderfull system just doesn't want to deal with them. If we spent 1/2 the money our wonderfull system spends in grants to study the mating habits of some spider in Africa maybe we could find a way to help addicts other than just leaving them to rot in prisons & intitutions where it costs even more of your tax $ to let them sit & stare at the idiot box or better yet join a gang & run a round stabing each other on your tax $.

Now this might seem like some heavy duty stuff for a disscusion about tobbaco. My point is that Johns father had the same disease I have, its obvious when they cut off parts of someone & they still insist on using. I've watched several of my family members & friends die from cancer etc. and yet I still dip & not an hour goes by that I don't want a cigerette. Nicotine has been compaired to cocaine & heroine as just as hard to kick. Ray Charles said that heroine was nothing compared to nicotine. And its harder to stay away from, everytime you walk up to the counter in a store there it is.

The Corporate Nazi led Regeme we live under is making too much money on the product & all the quit smoking crap that doesn't work to look for a real solution to the problem. If you dig deep enough you will find out that the Corporate Nazis are producing tobbaco on one end & quit smoking crap on the other. Not to mention how much money our total failure we call "The War on Drugs" is making. The money that the Corporate Nazi Regeme makes in drug sezures is in the billions every year. Does anyone really believe they really want to stop it? During prohibition the mob was making money, now the mob is running the show. The drugs they seizures they put on the news are litterally a drop in the ocean compaired to whats comming in. All Smoke & Mirrors my friends.

Well hell its time to put away the poison keyboard for now, Tune in next time for more cheerie
news from the Deadeye!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
To live with the disease of addiction is a curse. It is due to choices we make but often they are ignorant/stupid choices made in the days of our youth. Deadeye, you are a like a warrior fighting a huge battle. Addiction is hereditary making some people more susceptible than others. It is a disease that affects the whole family and scars all. Don't you ever give up. You're worth is great.

I've been on the 'other' side of the fence with my husband. With him it was alcoholism and cigarettes but not drugs. He's been clean of it all for 11 years now. I also quit smoking and I don't have a alcohol problem but I rarely have an alcoholic drink out of respect and love for Rich. Our marriage was almost destroyed. I knew deep down that he really loved me and I hung onto that knowledge with all I had. Before I ever went to Al-Anon meetings, I tried to hide what was going on from our kids and the rest of the family. I lived among my own lies as well as his lies and made so many lame excuses. I felt deep shame and embarrassment because of my soul mates alcoholism. I cried a lot and I too had to seek help. We were all suffering. Ignorance creates the shame. It doesn't have to be plastered on a billboard but having it in the open helps everyone heal and honesty brings relief.

I have a sister-in-law that fights everything that you fight and has not conquered any of it yet. It has affected her brain. She is also emotionally child-like. My best friends daughter died 3 years ago from drugs. She unknowingly used some bad stuff. She had been off of it all for a few months. She was only 26. Only one needle mark was found. Much good resulted from her death but her mom, dad and sister suffered intensely. The tremendous anxiety that you talked about is part of the problem with staying clean. We had to drop some friendships and make new ones.

I've been to many Al-Anon meetings and tough love (standing firm and not falling for the manipulation) is the way. All you have said is the truth and then some. Our government is two faced and the big green always wins. I was older when I began to see that we're treated like political puppets and to research before I swallow. Our country is GREAT but so many of our politicians are not.

I respect you and your poison keyboard. ;)

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
GREAT THREAD EVERYBODY!!!

I quit smoking a couple of years ago...I smoked for about ten years, and when I figured out how much I was spending a month that I could be spending on ammo I quit with the help of the gum.

The booze and I had a little go around too! I got trashed one night about 8 years ago and put my car straight into a telephone pole at around 45 MPH. When I came too, I had busted out the windshield with my head! I got a hold of a GOOD friend with a car hauler trailer at 2 AM to come get my drunken ass. He picked me up and took me home and got my busted up car out of there so I never got a ticket. There was no property damage (the pole was fine) and it was in the middle of a busted up cornfield.

A few butter-fly stitches closed up the cut on my forehead, and when the chain vomiting finally stopped from the concussion I poured out every bottle of Whiskey I had on hand. It scared the living crap out of me! I had my buddy take the car down to the local scrap yard and turned it in for $100. I pulled the plate, cancelled the insurance, and paid off the rest of the car over the next year. It sucks paying for a vehicle that is scrap metal. But it was a heck of a lot cheaper than the court costs would have been!

I didn't touch a drop for about a year while I made sure in my own mind that the drinking I was doing was more out depression and not alchaholism. When I reexamined myself I realized that I was in a much better place mentally, and that I hadn't really missed the booze at all. It was just something to pass the time. I still drink some, but I am very careful!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts