Gunner Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son-in-law just got his concealed carry license, and came to me for advice about buying a gun for both concealed carry and home defense. Up until now the only gun he has ever owned is a Taurus 85 that I gave him when he married my daughter almost 25 years ago. The discussion included so many guns that I told him that he needed to see what fit his hand, and budget the best as well as how well he fired different guns. Fortunately there are several large gun shops near him, with firing ranges, where he can rent a wide selection of handguns so hopefully he will find what works best for him. But it made me really think about how many fine guns are on the market, and how he really is unlikely to go wrong no matter what he ends up buying as long as he sticks to recognized quality manufacturers and to one of the acceptable calibers for personal defense. I don't think that this was true 25 or 30 years ago, but today there are multiple excellent guns from Glock, S&W, Ruger, Sig Sauer, Kimber, H&K and others that are reliable, accurate and with good capacity for defense purposes. A good time to be a gun buyer, other than possible shortages right now due to the recent upsurge in gun ownership. I ended up telling him that if I had to recommend a single gun to him, it would be a Glock 19 which I think could excellently meet any of his desires right now and still be affordable.

·
Administrator
11,351 Posts
If he wants a 9 MM then a Sig P365 should serve as easy to carry and with the extended mags a good nightstand pistol. If he wants to go 45 ACP (my personal favorite) then a Sig P320 compact. You can get the full size mags and slide a grip extender on the mag and viola a full size for nightstand.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Your advice for him to try the various types was excellent. My basic advice to anyone is to go minimal. The smallest lightest gun and caliber you are comfortable with. Big guns are more likely to get left at home because they are a nuisance to carry.
My choice is the .32 ACP North American Arms Guardian semi-auto pistol. All stainless steel, seven shots, fits in a shirt pocket, and only weighs a pound loaded. .32 ACP is considered too small by most people, but research told me it was only slightly less effective than .380, which is popular. The Guardian is available in .380, but weighs 6 oz more and kicks a lot harder.
I like revolvers better, they are easier to operate, but only five shots, and none is as small as a pistol can be. Your SIL's Taurus 85 is also about a pound loaded, and has a light polymer frame, which makes it easier to carry, but felt recoil is worse. If he is okay with how it kicks, he's one step ahead on choices. It's a good carry gun, out of the many choices he should still try.

·
Registered
11,305 Posts
I kind of agree with Terry, but, I really love the S&W Shields so went with the Shield Plus 9mm and love it. That being said, it is my backup for my P320C 9mm which is my EDC of choice, especially since I added the Wilson Combat grip module.

Reactions: bearcatter

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to buy a Shield, but liked the trigger on the LC9s much better and bought that instead.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My edc is a rockisland, m1911 a1 cs. 45acp. night stand is 2 S&W 41mag. My thinking is if they come in they dont leave upright.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts