Gunner Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do I need to look for?

Do all Contender frames work with all the different barrels?

Are only some barrels tapped and drilled for scopes or do they make scope mounts for most barrels?

What do I need to know when looking for a used Contender?

Any help or knowledge on the subject would help. Thanks!

-John

·
Registered
313 Posts
Johngoboom,
I had one in 222 several years ago and all I remember about it was, Don't forget your ear muffs. They are loud.
I didnt keep it too long,the Remington rifle was more accurate on groundhogs. I should have said, the rifle calibers are loud and the normal handgun calibers are more normal. :eek:

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
t/c contenders are habit forming.........seems like you are always looking to add a different barrel/caliber whether you need it or not and soon enough you have two suit cases of barrels. :lol:

there were several generations of contenders with some minor design changes to them.

My first contender frame had the firing pin selector located on a machined screw on the hammer face. It was a golden oldie.

My next contender had the firing pin selector moved to the top of the hammer in the form of a lever to select the firing pin for center fire or rim fire,

These were i guess old style contenders and considered the "hard to open" variety though i never had trouble with them. These older contender frames would also lend themselves to excellent gunsmithing on the trigger and let-offs at under 16 oz could be obtained.

The "stinker" in the older model contenders were the "armor alloy" which were silver in color and what they had before stainless appeared in the contender line. Most armor alloy stuff will not innerchange with the blue or real stainless stuff unless some gun smithing is applied. i just always ignored armor alloy so i would not have to put up with any hassle.

In the older stuff the octogon barrels are becoming collectors items and they do require a different forend for them as does the older forends for the 10" are different for the super 14" contenders. Biggest problems with contenders as far as design i have seen dealt with the wood stock carbine versions. for what ever reason the wood stocks seem to develop stress cracks.

Can't tell you much about the new G2 contender versions except that they are suspose to be easier opening..........never owned one. The barrels are all suspose to be innerchangable with the older contenders (except armor alloy)

The contenders are scary accurate and from memory all are drilled and tapped except for the old vent rib 410/45C version. I use to own barrels in a lot of chamberings but my absolute favorites were without a doubt

22 magnum

7mm tcu

With contenders you have several choices for sighting. I had some with williams peep sights and others with the millet 1" red dot set-up on weaver bases and rings. There are other options for bases and rings. The millet held up really well as it was on a 44 barrel i had for silhouette. The 357 and 44 contenders did just fine with cast bullets. Some folks with the rimfire barrels actually used rifle scopes and did the "taco hold" putting the gun right in front of their face to get the eye relief.......not a problem with rimfires----forget it with about anything else. Not many shooters used actual pistol scopes with the extended eye relief as tremors drove them crazy..........red dots were much easier on the hunting guns.

Lots of barrels can usually be found used on the market and there are some fine off the wall custom barrels that can be had at a decent price if you look around. ed's tc's come to mind as well as bullberry for new and used barrels along with forends, grips, etc.

As i said, i am totally ignorrant about the new G2 series contenders.

G

·
I started shooting contenders years ago.deputy125 has given you excellent info on them.my last contender was a G-2 and I had a 223,30/30 and 44 mag barrels for it.the 30/30 was the meanest of the lot to shoot for recoil and muzzle blast but it was very accurate.I had a burris 4X scope on it.

now all that said I now shoot encores.I like them the best and you can get some mean cal's using a encore frame. :lol:

http://edstc.com/

ed is a great guy and his prices are not bad and has used stuff most of the time.

pete

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
how do you like the G2 compared to the older contenders?

rumor back when was the triggers on the G2 could not be made as light as the old style.

G

·
deputy125 said:
how do you like the G2 compared to the older contenders?

rumor back when was the triggers on the G2 could not be made as light as the old style.
there is nothing wrong with the G-2.I liked the part when hunting that I could lower the hammer and not have to open the action to re-cock the G-2.the triggers are not that bad on the G-2 I was happy with mine right out of the box. :D

pete

·
Registered
52 Posts
Any contender, original or G2 is a great piece of equipment.
The wildcat option of barrels seems endless.
The JDJ's really command respect.
The greatest asset that loading for the contender has given me is the appreciation of the powders, their weights and how they relate to case head size (breechface thrust) and pressures.
Bullet weight to velocity are really just outcomes of carefully considered formulations.

14" SSK Bbl in 6x223 w/shrouded forearm and custom grip (someone turned down the front 9" to 0.5")

...... but she's a shooter for sure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts