Gunner Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just became an official Old Fart on the public dole. Did my application tonight, a relatively painless 20 minutes. I expected to see things pop up in red print telling me every box was filled in wrong, but so far so good. No goofs, no requests for any documentation, right up to the "Submit" button. Hopefully they'll stay happy with everything; I requested it to start in December. Now I have to set up my Part G, and I think one phone call should cover that.

Hopefully SS will do right about my being a survivor, wife's benefit was larger than what mine calculates. Website says that's done automatically in the system, I hope so.

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
Retiring is a great feeling. I always thought I handled the stress of my job well, no problem but when I retired it was like a huge weight came off my shoulders. It's unreal but I could physically feel the difference. Set up a routine and include at least an hour a day of an exercise program. I walk 4 miles a day 5-6 days a week and do a weight bearing workout the others. It helps keep you young and keeps the brain functioning by improving blood flow. The weight workout helps keep the ever present arthritis at bay. The old adage use it or lose it actually applies to the entire body.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Shucks, and I thought I could throw those old five pound dumbbells away. And there's a treadmill in the basement I was going to take apart to get it back up the steps. Only access to the basement is steps that come out at the back of the kitchen. There's an old 24 inch CRT TV down there, that still works fine. That thing has to be 100 pounds. I remember almost breaking a leg getting it down there, tied to a two wheel cart. It has to come out someway.

Otherwise, I find my biggest problem will be temptation. I'm finding that I have more money than I know what to do with. Yesterday I found two more IRAs she had, and there's a small savings account in another bank that I thought she had closed. I think about every penny I spend, knowing that money has to last until I'm ten toes up. No one in my family has made it much past seventy, in which case I'm fine, God forbid. I could end up bucking the trend, though.

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
If you made it to 65 and are healthy then no reason you shouldn't see 85-90.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts