Gunner Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the last gun I got at the auction...It's a Spanish FR-7 Mauser chambered in 7.62 NATO. Some minor stock damage, but everything else seems to be in good working order. I have to get a bayonet and some ammo (and maybe some dies, bullets, and brass) for it now, but neither of those should be to hard to find. I just thought it was a cool looking old rifle...Bought this one for $140.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of...a .308 has the same sized cartridge but is rated to shoot a higher PSI. The 7.62 NATO is lower pressure. It doesn't really matter as I just plan on picking up some milsurp 7.62 and use the brass to reload with.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I like John, should be fun.

G

·
0 Posts
nice!!! just remember these were small ring 7mm mausers rebarreled to 7.62 nato or 7.62 cetme.I bought one years ago and it was a sweet shooting little carbine.I also had a FR-8.I only shot cast loads out of both.
just do a head space check to be sure its good to go and keep the pressures low.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/fr8/index.asp

·
Registered
204 Posts
Remember the CETME 7.62X 51 round fired at 2,450 fps, and had a chamber pressure of 42,000 psi.

The 7.62 Nato at approx 2,750 fps with a chamber pressure of about 50,000 psi.

AVERAGE .308 Winchester factory ammo pressure hits up to 62,000 psi.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went to Kalamazoo yesterday, and the LGS that I like there had a ammo cans full of surplus 7.62 NATO. I picked up a pretty good supply for cheap. I'll keep the brass and just shoot low powered hand loads once these are gone.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
I built my 270 on a Remington 798 witch is a Mauser clone action . with the Mauser bolt. parker/Hale barrel
Don't you think the newer manf. actions with todays steel will be stronger?????

1 - 14 of 14 Posts