Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He's been hangin out on my lane the past month not far off the gravel county road that people like run 60 on. If he ain't careful he won't reach 15, mph or inches!

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
He looks like someones future insurance claim. Are they fit to eat?....hmmmmmm

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Good thing they can run 60 mph.
I don't see'em alone too often.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He looks like someones future insurance claim. Are they fit to eat?....hmmmmmm
One of the most tender and flavorful of all wild game. Trouble with em is most folks shoot em after they've run a mile and a half then throw em in the pickup, hide on in 75 degree weather. If ya catch one just wakein up and you get him skun quartered and on ice quickly, you'll stun people with yer cookin skills!

·
Registered
4,180 Posts
That is one steep hill. He must run good sideways.....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That is one steep hill. He must run good sideways.....:mrgreen:
This site's more mobile device compatible now. How do you like it? It was right side up in my phone when I attatched to the thread. When I preview the post and click on the attachment it's right side up. Then when I post it it looks like this......different than the op this time and the only thing I did different was preview and click on the attachment.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya that's about average.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I agree, they can be very good eating when prepared, properly, by someone who knows what they are doing. Have had some great Pronghorn steak dinners with a friend who hunted them, every year.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Dennis, maybe you should get the recipe from NCG and save someone having a terrible accident....;)

·
Administrator
10,960 Posts
One of the most tender and flavorful of all wild game. Trouble with em is most folks shoot em after they've run a mile and a half then throw em in the pickup, hide on in 75 degree weather. If ya catch one just wakein up and you get him skun quartered and on ice quickly, you'll stun people with yer cookin skills!
That must be why I have heard you cook them with a brick, throw out the meat and eat the brick. Never have shot one or eaten the meat. I know the secret to good venison is to get it clean and cool quickly so no surprise that would apply to other game as well. I get the deer to the butchers cooler as quickly as I can. I know some that hang them outside and they go thru the freeze/thaw routine which makes them rank. If I shoot one in the AM and the temps starts warming up then 2 bags of ice in the body cavity and head for the butcher. Late afternoon I will let them hang outside overnight if it is going to cool down into the 40's then they go to the butcher the next morning.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A lotta years ago you could shoot 7 doe antelope in Wyoming. We were goin thru a check station behind a truck and flatbed Trailer with Indiana plates and 28 doe antelope strapped to it, hides on! I suspect they may have started that brick story. There's generally two kinds of antelope, those that are runnin, and those that are thinking bout runnin. Neither kind eat very well when handled like that. It truly is my favorite red meat. I've heard bighorn and dall sheep surpasses it. Maybe someday I'll get to do my own comparison.

·
Administrator
10,960 Posts
I have heard Sheep meat is excellent but at 69 and used to the seacoast elevation I doubt I will ever find out.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I was on a mountain lion hunt in Colorado, and the guide cooked up some elk.
It was much better than venison.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard guys say mountain lion is excellent table fare as well. Another I haven't tried. I've got a pile of preference points for sheep.....hopefully someday....

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
My guide said he did not like lion meat.....but the trail dogs all got a piece of it, and they enjoyed it.
I got a mounted lion, but no meat.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts