Gunner Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this single-shot .22 rimfire rifle two days ago for $ 85. What attracted me to it was the Lyman 559 rear peep and an early Lyman globe up front. The globe takes the same inserts as my new 17A.

This rifle is very unusual and I'm not familiar with the action at all. Or even the peep for that matter. To remove the bolt you have to remove the sight first but only the sight and not the mount. Looks like it was designed for easy removal.

The trigger is just an easy pull back at around three pounds. But the real surprise is the trigger doesn't move till it has lets the bolt break. I don't think I have any other firearms where the trigger doesn't move some.

At the range today in the rain I got three half inch groups at 25 yards and these were 10 and 20 round groups. Another surprise was it was already zeroed.

When I bought it the rifle was covered in baked on oil and dirt and there was some rust beginning to appear. A little 0000 steel wool and a lot of CLP and it cleaned up quite nice. It is never going to be a show firearm.

It was made by the J. Stevens Arms Company from 1937 to 1947. I don't use photobucket anymore so no picture.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I'm glad to see you out and about. Those old single shots are fine shooters.
Hopefully next time out, it'll be sunny and calm for you.

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Wonderful to have you back, 303. Really missed you around, here.

Love those single shots. Doesn't get more basic than that.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Welcome Home. We missed you.
It sounds like you found another treasure and keep us posted on your progress to make it another part of your collection.
I have always been told to use brass wool rather than steel wool. Brass residue won't rust. Do you have any opinions on this?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I'm glad to see you out and about. Those old single shots are fine shooters.
Hopefully next time out, it'll be sunny and calm for you.
Wonderful to have you back, 303. Really missed you around, here.

Love those;d single shots. Doesn't get more basic than that.
That is a great deal and amazing groups. Glad it turned out to such a good shooter for you.
+1 to all. Glad you found a treasure & shared it with us.

·
Super Moderator
10,708 Posts
The quality of those old single shots is surprising. They hit where they are pointed and are designed to take a lot of abuse. They teach young shooters to make every shot count. Nice find and glad to hear from you.

·
Registered
16,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome Home. We missed you.
It sounds like you found another treasure and keep us posted on your progress to make it another part of your collection.
I have always been told to use brass wool rather than steel wool. Brass residue won't rust. Do you have any opinions on this?
This is the first time in decades I used 0000 steel wool. I usually use CPL and a terry cloth but using a cloth will take hours and hours instead of just a few minutes.

·
Registered
16,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The quality of those old single shots is surprising. They hit where they are pointed and are designed to take a lot of abuse. They teach young shooters to make every shot count. Nice find and glad to hear from you.
With the long 24 inch barrel and sights I don't think this particular one was made for a youth. I imagine it spent its life putting dinner on the table.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Thanks for the link. Mine isn't a fingergroove but it is in a lot better condition.
No fingergroove makes it from the later years of production, from what I've Googled. For me, I'd prefer the plain forearm. I read that there were no serials, or even date codes until 1948.

That rifle has quite a lineage. Stevens made it for Springfield, but Stevens was bought by Savage in 1936. So you actually have a Springfield-Stevens-Savage 53B.

I can Google a Lyman 55S peep for it, but no mention of any 559?

I'm surprised that Numrich shows no parts available except a stock for $ 65, and it's the Stevens model with a black tip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts