Gunner Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
To help break everyones boredom and worry about the Biden/Harris Goonies coming to your front door, I will post a small project I did my Springfield Ronin Operator 4.25"
.45acp. Dang, that's a mouthful.
The pistol did not come with a checkered front strap. Initially I used an aggressive Talon grip tape. It did not take long for the "grit" to come off the tape. I found a thin stainless steel checkered front strap made by Wilson Combat. Just loosen the grip panels and slide in the Wilson piece. Simple, unless you have more than two thumbs. The texture is very aggressive, which I prefer. The finish is a bit too shiny, but I reckon it will dull in time. I am very happy with it. Now I need to justify throwing money down range, what with the cost of ammo.
I love my Springfield, however, the finish is not holding up well with daily use in a leather holster. It is not meant to be a safe queen, so the wear gives it character.
Okay, back to guarding the doors from the BHG's. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Leather sure is hard on bluing. I leave my bisley vaquero in a leather holster and it has worn some of the bluing off. I really need to get a 1911, it's such an iconic firearm.

·
Super Moderator
4,286 Posts
The front strap looks good. I will have to look into getting one for my Para.
Thanks for sharing this beautiful pistol with us.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I decided to change the grip on my SA Ronin 4.25". My purpose on the changes is to get a grippyer grip. I think it also adds a nice cosmetic improvement. Here is before and after, going from factory, front strap with a Talon grip tape, to Wilson Combat stainless checkered overlay, to G10 grip with stainless overlay.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I like the G10 the best. Balances the look with the dark slide. G10 is supposedly about indestructible, too.

I noticed the picture you laid it on. Looks like that saloon has about every western star who ever was. Nice !

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My wife gave me the cowboy picture for Christmas. I thought it would make a nice gun backdrop even though the 1911 is from a different era. Study the picture closely and see how many actors you can identify.

·
Super Moderator
10,706 Posts
Nice job on you Ronin. It sure is a looker.

·
Registered
11,014 Posts
Looks good Ridge! Thought I spotted Chuck Conners right off, had to go back and look at the others, cool picture!

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Lookin good, Ridge.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks y'all. I'm tryin' my best to stay busy tinkerin' with guns, while fighting the urge to buy another. Fortunately nothing is in stock.

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw one of those pieces of wood that supports a bottle of wine. I figured the same could be done with a pistol. It quit raining today so I tried my hand at making one. Here is the final product.

·
Registered
11,014 Posts
Looks good!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts