Gunner Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stupid piece of crap lawnmower is pissing me off. Here's what happened:

1. I topped it off with gas and it started and ran fine.
2. I drove it from the back yard to the front and made one trip around the front yard.
3. Sandy came out to talk to me so I turned it off.
4. After it turned off, there was a really loud backfire.
5. It startled me.
6. Conversation ended, I tried to restart.
7. It wouldn't start. Not even close.
8. Still wouldn't start. So I thought maybe the gas I put on top was bad (I've heard gas now doesn't last as long.)
9. I syphoned all (well, as much as I could) of the gas out of the tank and went and bought new gas.
10. Put a full tank of fresh gas in, and it did start, though it was stubborn and didn't run well AT ALL.

So, I think the gas was bad, the new gas helped, but didn't entirely do the trick.

Questions:

1. If it was bad gas, what else do I have to do to make it run right other than just put fresh gas in it?
2. What do people do with gas they need to get rid of? Put it in an open trash can and let it evaporate?
3. Has anyone else seen Juno? Fantastic movie.

Thanks.
Ed.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Re: stupid lawnmower

Possible the backfire f'd up your timing somehow. Some small engines can fall out of adjustment fairly easily.

What kind of mower? I'm always looking for a new racer.

·
Registered
419 Posts

Backfires are common when you turn off a warmed up small engine without letting it run a bit to cool down.
I think the backfire maybe screwed up your carb or blew part of a gasket out.
In the future you might add some Sta-bil or Seafoam to any gas that you won't
use up within a couple months. I'd call your local small engine shop or dealer
that works on your brand.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

rp_cavanaugh said:
Possible the backfire f'd up your timing somehow. Some small engines can fall out of adjustment fairly easily.

What kind of mower? I'm always looking for a new racer.
Gee, RP, I'm not sure where to start! Timing sounds like something I can't easily fix myself. :(

Right now this mower is most certainly NOT a racer!

·
Registered
203 Posts

Out of desperation, you might try instaling a new sparkplug. Your plug may have gotten
fouled with carbon when it backfired. just a thought.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

jaredshs said:
Out of desperation, you might try instaling a new sparkplug. Your plug may have gotten
fouled with carbon when it backfired. just a thought.
I thought about doing that just because it's the only other thing I know how to do. I will pick up some plugs tomorrow and change them.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts

Your mower has the same disease my Bro. in laws has every spring: No stabilizer in the gas! If you store gas for more than 2mos. It will turn to varnish & gum up your carb. You may be able to douche the carb with carb cleaner & get it to run & like Jaredshs said a new plug is easy & can't hurt. If you do get it running I would suggest running a tank of gas with some carb cleaner in it thru it (also can't hurt).

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'll give all that a try, thanks. I did make progress, I mean at least I got it to start. So maybe some of these other things will bring it farther along.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts

You're on a roll buddy. First the chain saw now this. I'd suggest carb cleaner and changing out the plug. I think you'll find it'll work wonders. If not I won't charge you for this advice. :D

·
Registered
22,098 Posts

I would say God's trying to send you a message and, since you're obviously not listening, I will translate:
1. Immediately sell all weedeaters, mowers, edgers, tractors, and other implements of yard slavery.

2. Use the money on arms and ammunition and accessories.

3. Go to the range daily and await further instructions.

4. Call the kid down the street to take care of the yard...

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

sheepdog said:
4. Call the kid down the street to take care of the yard...
Kids don't work for money anymore. I've been trying to get someone to clean my very simple gutters for years. If kids nowadays want money, they just ask for it and get it. Why work? :x

·
Registered
11,450 Posts

The kids not working part of this topic raises my blood pressure. We'll have a bunch of spoiled ninnies running this country in our near future.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts

I'm raising 3 future Sheepdogs...they'll make a difference....with dirty hands and strong hearts....won't be afraid either to love with all they are or to stare down evil in the street....good men coming up....I'm sure there are more than we see.....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

sheepdog said:
I'm raising 3 future Sheepdogs...they'll make a difference....with dirty hands and strong hearts....won't be afraid either to love with all they are or to stare down evil in the street....good men coming up....I'm sure there are more than we see.....
Well there had BETTER be more than we see, or we're in trouble!

·
Registered
22,098 Posts

We're in trouble either/or......we'd better be teaching any young men/women in our influence how to handle it.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts

Natalie said:
The kids not working part of this topic raises my blood pressure. We'll have a bunch of spoiled ninnies running this country in our near future.
We already have that.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey I fixed it!!! Thanks guys. I replaced the spark plugs and they were FOULED big time!

So the backfire caused the plugs to foul, correct? And likely the bad gas caused the backfire? So I solved the primary problem by replacing the gas with fresh gas, but the secondary problem had already been caused so it didn't run right until I changed the plug. Does all that sound right?

Regardless, it runs like a top now!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I believe you got it right. Glad you fixed it. Ain't nothing worse than a lawnmower that ain't running right.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Except a lawn mower that's working perfectly when you've got something better to do than mow the yard...which is just about anything.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts