Gunner Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last month, we parted with our Marlin 1894 in 32-20 to finance more Smiths.

The Marlin was really a nice gun, but it just didn't want to settle down and shoot consistently. Would get a great group of three or four going and then I'd get a flyer WAY out there. Pulled the forearm and, sure enough, it was rubbing on the barrel in one spot; in fact it was cracked in that spot. Did some stock work and the it pulled the flyers in a bit more, but still not what I wanted. Messed with the tightness on the forearm cap screws, magazine to barrel connection and so on. Still not what I expected, so off it went on a trade.

In the meantime, I had plenty of factory 32-20 ammo left, so the hunt began for a different 32-20. Figured a 32-20 barrel for my Contender would be ideal, so the hunt began. Got lucky and found a barrel, last week, so topped it off with a TC 2.5-7x scope and off to the range we went.

Glad to report that the flyer issue with the 32-20 is no more - gone, kaput, zilch. What a wonderfully consistent, easy to shoot round for the Contender! No slouch in the accuracy department, either. Here's my first 50 yard group after getting the sights set.

Handed the gun to Bill to try and here's an only slightly larger group that he shot.

For those of you who have never shot a 32-20, let me tell you it is one sweet old timer of a cartridge to shoot. Factory 32-20 ammo in a Contender is little more than shooting a 38 Special. The 32-20, though, especially in the Contender, can be loaded right on up to 327 Magnum power levels and beyond.

Interestingly, the bore diameter on the Contender 32-20 barrel is .308", not the usual .312" for the usual 32-20 gun. That tight bore in the Contender poses no issues, though, because the 32-20 is such a low pressure cartridge. Indeed, one of the reasons we still have folks shooting the 32-20, these days, is that the 32-20 found a home in certain categories of silhouette shooting with the Contender, where it is powered up a bit, but not enough to ever be an issue with recoil. (By going to a 308 bore, competitors have a much wider range of bullets at their disposal.)

As for us, we'll just go right on relaxing at the bench shooting this oh so easy to shoot Contender rig, guaranteed to bring a smile to your face. Still have some factory ammo to use up before I hit the loading bench.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Back in 1981 at the State shoot 8 of us sat around the camp fire at night with Ken French of TC and designed the 30-20 with 1 in 10 twist and a .308 barrel , we also ask to put a 1 in 10 twist in the TC 30-30 which was 1 in 12 at that time . Which it all happen in a short time later . Below is the 2 bullets I shot in the 32-20 and the 30-30 with 1 in 10 twist and both were match wins .

200 gr cast was almost as long as the brass :-D

Sold all my 32-20 gun 2 yrs ago . It is a super accurate cartridge and fun to shoot .

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fun, for sure. Like shooting a 22. Did my homework on the .308 bore on the Contender barrel and everyone said, no problem at all, in fact, a good thing. They were right. Can't wait to work up some reloads.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Fun, for sure. Like shooting a 22. Did my homework on the .308 bore on the Contender barrel and everyone said, no problem at all, in fact, a good thing. They were right. Can't wait to work up some reloads.
32-20 or 30-20 will shoot and thing you put together . Any 30 carbine powder and loading data shoot perfect . My hunting and target stuff I use IMR4227 and Unique for my cowboy stuff .

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
32-20 or 30-20 will shoot and thing you put together . Any 30 carbine powder and loading data shoot perfect . My hunting and target stuff I use IMR4227 and Unique for my cowboy stuff .
I looked in my Hodgdon manual & they also use HP-38/W-231, TiteGroup, Trail Boss & Universal in bullets from 77 to 115 grain weight.

NCG,
It seems most the cast bullets are .314" diameter & jacketed are .312".

I am curious, what was the style/weight of the factory ammo you & Bill were using?

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
moakes, that's right where the factory 32-20 ammo is for both bullet types. The Winchester uses 100 grain cast lead and the Remington is a 100 grain jacketed soft point. Both shoot very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts