Gunner Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here it is. I figured I would show you how it's going...

Here is what I have left to do. I picked all this up at my uncle's house today.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Bountyhunter said:
Looks like an outhouse with a leprachan door. :)
Hooboy, good laugh!!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Good job John but won't there be any shelves for nesting? Didn't Sheepdog suggest a rooster weather vane? If you went with the rooster weather vane you could pipe in the cockadoodledoo. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was talking to a guy that I work with that used to raise 200-300 laying hens all the time. He said that chickens that can come and go out of a coop will share a nesting box fine. He said that he was set up for one nesting box to 10 hens. He also said that a milk crate about six incehes off the floor and half filled with straw works well, so that's what I tried. I'm only planning having a few chickens to start with so one nesting box is plenty.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
First you force them to be spinsters and now one hen in the nest and the rest have to stand all night? Cruel and unusual...

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
You should let a few run around in the woods for a bit. We'll call them feral and hunt them with big revolvers. :)

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Where's the drain...I'm glad I ain't gonna have to clean it out....and you ain't lined it in tin foil yet...the powers that be will be able to broadcast to them...ain't no tellin'...they could lay armadillo eggs........

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Natalie...

Chickens don't sleep in the nesting box. See in the middle photo the rod that runs from corner to corner. That's a roosting bar for them to sleep on. They all jump up on that and sleep next to each other. I was told 6" of roost for every bird.

Sheepdog...don't worry. I put a layer under the tar paper. My egg fortune is SAFE!

Wizard, thanks I hope so.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
:eek: Oh ... I'm a city gal -I didn't have a clue. I only realized that the inside looked different from the ONE I've seen. How do you keep the inside clean?

Well then John, you've done a FINE JOB!!!!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Since you're almost done with their HOME SWEET HOME, when will you be going to get the girls?

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To keep it clean you put straw in the bottom of the coop and rake it out every couple of days and replace it with new. This cuts down on the build up. Also every once in a while you spray the inside out with a hose.

I might have to order them through Murry McMurry and get them as chicks. I hope not, as this is more work, and it takes a few months for the hens to start laying. I'm trying to talk a guy that I work with that has a some laying hens to sell me some. Also there is a large commercial chicken farm near me that sells "past prime" hens. Hens that are over 2 years old don't lay quite as frequently as "prime" hens.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
now just put a ladder on the side.........

bolt a swivel chair dead center on top............

and a 3' high (or there-abouts) shootin' rail all around the top edge to prop your rifle on.....

and drap the shootin' rail with burlap to hide ya'..........

doubles as a huntin' blind ;)

of course ya can tell the neighbors its a guard tower to stop chicken theives :p

·
Registered
977 Posts
:lol: :lol:

1 - 20 of 66 Posts