Gunner Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I haven't worked my job for about six weeks, I'm officially retired from there three days ago. I've been more than busy with all the wife's affairs, which still aren't finished. I'll almost miss it when that's all done. I don't do much else. I look after the dog. I go to the grocery store. Too many trips to post office. I'm barely driving, 1/4 tank a week. I'm emptying the house one curb can at a time.

Otherwise, it's computer stuff and TV. I'm thankful I have the free Samsung TV Plus. Most of it is junk I don't care for, but there are a few decent channels with older movies. I've got a cabinet of DVDs if all else fails.

I'm eating out of the microwave, sandwiches and donuts. Last I went for Sam's Club pizza, they were out of boxes, the bad supply chain?...:(...What contacts I still have concerning the wife are in the afternoon email or snail mail so I stay up late for that. I have a table full of papers I'm not done with. I can't seem to sleep more than 3 hours at a time, anyway.

How do you guys cope with the joys of retirement? Losing my occasionally better half sure left a gap in my days.

·
Super Moderator
4,325 Posts
After 26 years with Kodak I tried retirement for a couple of months. Ran out of projects to do around the house, I did enjoy going to the local gun shop and range once a week. But I needed something to do that wouldn’t cost me money and get me out of the house. I started job hunting and wound up accepting a job as custodian at a High School 12 miles from the house. Six hours a day and absolutely no pressure. I got to pick my hours as well 10:00 to 4:00. The pay is okay and if I stayed another three years I would draw a small monthly annuity. Leaving before five years will get me a lump sum payment of retirement deductions from my pay plus interest. I have been there two years now but will likely leave at the end of this school year. My wife is retiring this December due to the jab or job Biden bs.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
You might try the cooking channels and become a Gourmet! :)

·
Administrator
11,217 Posts
Start an exercise program. Plan a walking route and take the dog for a nice long walk. Start with a couple miles and build up to 3-4 a day. You'll sleep better and feel better.

There is a lot going on in your world right now but once things calm down learn how to prepare veggies and make decent salads, eat healthy. There is very little microwave food that isn't loaded with crap your body doesn't need. Amy's entree's are the exception I am aware of.

Your project right now sounds like is getting the house ready. A lot of stuff can be sold for some extra pocket cash. You would be surprised how much stuff you think is useless someone else wants. Deal in cash and I was always armed when someone came to the house but never had an issue with anyone. We sold a tons of stuff we didn't need anymore.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Start an exercise program. Plan a walking route and take the dog for a nice long walk. Start with a couple miles and build up to 3-4 a day. You'll sleep better and feel better.

There is a lot going on in your world right now but once things calm down learn how to prepare veggies and make decent salads, eat healthy. There is very little microwave food that isn't loaded with crap your body doesn't need. Amy's entree's are the exception I am aware of.

Your project right now sounds like is getting the house ready. A lot of stuff can be sold for some extra pocket cash. You would be surprised how much stuff you think is useless someone else wants. Deal in cash and I was always armed when someone came to the house but never had an issue with anyone. We sold a tons of stuff we didn't need anymore.
I wish I would have done that, I probably wouldn't be having the back problems I am having now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I never had much in the way of hobbies when I was younger. Between work and kids activities I barely had any time for myself. The kids grew up, and then at 70 I retired. Mornings are for coffee, the internet, and either a nice long walk with the dogs or riding my stationary bicycle if outside bike riding is out due to weather. Then shower, get dressed and by then its lunch time. Good weather means afternoon nice rides on the motorcycle, after which I'm ready for a nap. Not so nice weather can mean a trip to the indoor pistol club range, or errands. That's my life, mostly, and now after several years being retired I've started a very time limited volunteer job. As a veteran myself, I visit veterans in hospice care, usually at their home. It just takes a few hours a week but the structure of being a volunteer helps pass the time and makes me feel so appreciative to be the same age as these patients but still healthy, and certainly not actively dying. Down time can also be filled by watching TV or movies that I have on hundreds of DVD's. So I rarely feel bored, feel little stress (other than worrying about my modest investments as they grow or lose money in the stock market). Oh, and numerous doctor visits for my various ailments that remind me that I am 78 years old. But its still nice to be on the green side of the grass.

·
Administrator
11,217 Posts
I wish I would have done that, I probably wouldn't be having the back problems I am having now!
I was lucky enough that PT worked for me when I slipped L3, 4, & 5 and a couple years later T8 on the spine. I do know how painful it is and hope you can get on top of it.

Vito any day topside is a good day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts