Gunner Forum banner

2401 - 2420 of 2516 Posts

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Good morning folks! Well, the HC guy showed up Tuesday, no leak and no $800 test, bad equalizer valve. ??? Very confusing since, to an extent, he was contradicting previous service tech. I have all the records since purchase and we went over of the maintenance and service calls and the reason he was there in the first place. He only charged a $50 service call even though he was there over an hour ($250HR Rate) and said he would discuss the problem with the lead tech. I contacted the Service department yesterday morning and explained my issues and the lead tech was at our door at noon and thoroughly explained the workings of our system.

Unlike Terry's situation, or maybe similar, Washington, especially our area, takes full advantage of HC systems that have the Auto function that cycle between Heat and Cool but also have the auto defrost the Terry had described. This had something to do with high humidity combined with major temp swings. We constantly get the icing and defrosting on the heat pump but this past summer we had the inside condenser have the same problem with no defrost. Seems the equalizer valve controls this and an internal piston was stuck and when techs got a low Freon reading and topped the pressure all would be fine for a while and compounding it, one tech said it was better to set the stat manually which froze up the piston completely. So, yesterday, another hour and a half, no charge!, he un-stuck and lubed the valve, reset the stat to auto and will be back in a wee or so, no charge, to re-test everything to make sure all is well. He is also contacting the factory since this has been an ongoing issue since it was 3 years old. Guess we'll see!

You all have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,402
Close to 80 today with sunshine and just a slight breeze. Pretty near perfect.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I am envious......We had 65 and sunny Wednesday and Thursday. Forties and wet since, with some sleet thrown in last night.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
40s and rain here!

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,407
Niece and hubby got burned out today. They just got out with their 2 cats and the clothes on their backs. There has been high winds and power outages. He ran a portable generator to give them power and somehow the fire started. It may have been in the garage near the open door, don't know. They did save a car but his pickup is gone. Our generator kicked on at the house and ran for several hours. It calls us when we lose power and we did on 2 separate occasions today for a run time of about 10 hours.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
So sorry to hear that. Glad everyone is okay. I know that no matter how good your insurance is, some things just aren't replaceable.

I lost an apartment years ago, when the one across the hall burned. Luckily I just had a few things damaged by water and smoke, including a couple of books I kind of treasured. It never makes sense, only two apartments had fire damage, but the fire department destroyed the rest of the building with water. It was January, and the two floors below mine were pretty well flooded. Fire fighting hasn't changed much in 100 years.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Niece and hubby got burned out today. They just got out with their 2 cats and the clothes on their backs. There has been high winds and power outages. He ran a portable generator to give them power and somehow the fire started. It may have been in the garage near the open door, don't know. They did save a car but his pickup is gone. Our generator kicked on at the house and ran for several hours. It calls us when we lose power and we did on 2 separate occasions today for a run time of about 10 hours.
Sorry to hear this. My prayers are with them.

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,410
They have 4 English Setters roughly the same age and one by one they have died over the last year and a half. The last one was Sunday so it's been a helluva week/year for them.

We are now in a seasonal pattern down here mid to upper 60's and 40's at night. and warming next week Not too tough to take. NH has had high winds and it is 26 now.

Crews respond to a fire in Kittery | newscentermaine.com

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Sorry to hear that Terry! We know what they are going through, the thought of fire scares the crap out of us now, super careful! After 10 years still finding things we lost and had not thought of at the time.

Got our first Covid shot yesterday, had to go two counties east but easy peasy. No side affects yet, first day though.

Well, biting the bullet and selling the RV. Haven't used it in over a year, our camping group has either died or just quit and the new members are drunks and my Elk camp buddies have moved out f state or in my brother's case had to quit for medical reasons so we decided car travel will pay for motels and we won't have to lug the trailer around and we don't have pets to be concerned about. I see another Ghost Town / family visit in the near future! At this point, not sure how far east we might get, got a daughter in MN and son in VA but that's quite a shag. Pretty much everything is gun friendly for my WA CPL (or open carry) except MN & IL. so we are good there. Speaking of CPLs, was able to renew mine on-line and for + $2 they laminate it and should get it in about two weeks, guess we'll see.

Well, you folks have a great day!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Didn't mention before, my father retired with 38 years on the city fire department. Finished up with about 12 years as Captain. Luckily he was only in the hospital once, for a little too much smoke. When he died, the department had two officers in dress blue at every intersection the hearse passed, saluting. Nice gesture. He told me some amazing stuff that happened over the years. Made me extra careful about fire my whole life.

Reactions: SmittyJ

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,413
Looks like showers this morning and then great weather the rest of the week with temps moving from 60's to close to 80 at the end of the week. Lows in the 40's at night. Looks like it's getting time for another shot at fishing.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Well, got the RV unloaded and off to the Dealer (not without some issues), first time it's moved in over a year. Had to have some heavy rain of-course, blew up my cheap compressor and too wet to set my brake controller but only a shot run. Did stop by the tire shop to check the tires and all were good but commented the brakes were hot. Guess we'll see what happens!

Rain for the next two days, got to love the PNW!

Have a great day!

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'm sure you know how wet weather will do a rust film on brakes. A year of PNW weather probably did a lot of it. That would make them hot until it rubs off. The buses at work will get enough over a damp weekend, parked indoors, to grab and squeal really bad the first mile or two.

Hope it's something simple with a small bill........ o_O

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,416
Could be rust stopping them from releasing all the way. They may work out.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Could be rust stopping them from releasing all the way. They may work out.
Two long hills, wet, and yes, probably rust plus not set correctly and using more trailer brake than truck brake I'm sure caused them to really heat up. It was only a 15 mile run and mostly level so should be OK . I or anyone else should get the brakes and bearings checked out anyway as a standard service on a new purchase. It only has 4K on it but still, I would do it anyway. That was on my list along with new batteries, although running a C-Pap I always use auxiliary power.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Good morning folks! Another WET Sunday. Got to start sorting through camping gear for lighter travel and finding new storage space plus diving up duplicates to our camping kids, two of which recently bought travel trailers. My son just ordered a pretty interesting back country trailer for 4 wheeling.

We are starting to plan another Ghost Town adventure for our 15th anniversary, maybe a month long event April or May starting at Glacier Nat. Pk. and south to Virginia City, Nevada City and points between and south to southern AZ. Actually we'll begin at my brother's in Idaho and we'll visit family in Utah, Nevada and Arizona along the way. A side trip to Yellowstone might be fun, only been there in February. We have family in Minnesota, Daughter and granddaughter, and Michigan, wife's relatives she hasn't seen in 50 years, not sure how we'd work that in, or VA to see the oldest son, surely would be an excursion. We thought we would do this before we have to mortgage the house to buy gas or while we can still buy it!

Have a great day folks!

Reactions: RidgeRunner

·
Super Moderator
10,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,419
Made a deal with the owner to buy the site here in FL. There are 6 stilted cottages that sold quickly and once they put the other 23 sites up for sale less 4 small cottage sites it was a feeding frenzy. The owner asked us to wait (make lease payments) and we did and he rewarded us with an excellent price for the lot. We were the last to buy and will close when we get back in NH in mid-April as he lives about two miles from us in the same town. Never meant him before he bought down here. Small world. We helped him out quite a bit as he wasn't familiar with RV parks so it came back to us.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Made a deal with the owner to buy the site here in FL. There are 6 stilted cottages that sold quickly and once they put the other 23 sites up for sale less 4 small cottage sites it was a feeding frenzy. The owner asked us to wait (make lease payments) and we did and he rewarded us with an excellent price for the lot. We were the last to buy and will close when we get back in NH in mid-April as he lives about two miles from us in the same town. Never meant him before he bought down here. Small world. We helped him out quite a bit as he wasn't familiar with RV parks so it came back to us.
Sometimes good deeds pay off!

2401 - 2420 of 2516 Posts