Gunner Forum banner

2481 - 2500 of 2509 Posts

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Good morning folks! Nice sunny day here, only 45 though. May have to finally get the lawnmower out for a first of the year pass, the Deer just are not keeping up with it.

Stuff is still slowly trickling in for our upcoming trip, CPL should be here today. Got a second remote key fob for the car so we both have one, just much handier for both of us to have keys to each other's autos, but $350, yikes! That was with programming. Still waiting on the holster and pistol. I did print out the State regs that state only a 10 day hold required and if no response on the check, they are free to release the gun, but, will they?

Since this has become a once in a lifetime trip, we are reaching middle age, 75 and, our 15th anniversary, my son talked us into expanding it a little. Wifie has family in MI, she hasn't seen in 45 years and I have family in MN. and VA. so it looks like this is going to be quite an excursion. So, looks like we have also thrown Branson, Memphis, Nashville and Deadwood SD into the mix, LOL. A LOT of curvy mountain highways, new front brakes on the Durango! Had warped rotors when we bought it and the Dealer re-surfaced them and I can feel them pulsing again, I want good brakes! This is going to be interesting!

You all have a great day!

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
WOW! I just noticed, I'm a new me! 44s Rock was fun since I really enjoyed shooting my 44 revolvers for almost 60 years. My hearing isn't happy about it though. SmittyJ more accurately represents who I actually an since my name is Jim Smith. Yes, really, one of several million. LOL It is always fun signing in to a Motel!

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,483
Looks like Philip cleaned up all our open issues.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Good morning folks! Happy April 1. Well, wonders will never cease, within 15 minutes of each other, yestrerday3I was notified the holster arrived and my gun was cleared for pickup and it wasn't April Fools day! So, I'm outta here shortly for my second 90 mile round trip to Cabela's.

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,485
Two weeks from today we will be heading back north and should be in GA by this time and headed to Athens. Leaving on the democrats Christmas April 15th. Will be in Roanoke on Friday the 16th and Hazleton the 17th. Like to head home Sunday and get going early and miss a lot of the nasty traffic. If I was alone I'd get on the road about 3AM but that isn't happening so shoot for 6:00 to 6:30. Get home about 1:30, unload and see how the house survived.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
20151030_125102_002 (1).jpg

Photo test, a picture of one of our "rustic" Elk camps.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
The photo test was just to see if I could post pics, have not tried for years. The camp was outside of Liberty Wa, a small mining / ghost town in the central Cascades. We hunted the area for over 40 years.

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,488
Good morning folks! Happy April 1. Well, wonders will never cease, within 15 minutes of each other, yestrerday3I was notified the holster arrived and my gun was cleared for pickup and it wasn't April Fools day! So, I'm outta here shortly for my second 90 mile round trip to Cabela's.

Ah the new gun trip always an exciting time. Post up some pics when you are done.

Hey that camp looks like a luxury hunting camp there. Generator power or do you have any hook ups?

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Ah the new gun trip always an exciting time. Post up some pics when you are done.

Hey that camp looks like a luxury hunting camp there. Generator power or do you have any hook ups?
I run a 2000 Honda for the two on the left for C Paps and my furnace, the 5th wheel has a built in 4k Onan but only runs it for cooking and battery charging. That was the last time my brother was able to go, 2017, I stopped 2019 and sold the rv last week.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
New future EDC, after some range time, all cleaned and ready to go! Safariland IWB holster, not the one I was waiting for.
20210401_222900.jpg

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,491
Nice. Congrats and now go shoot it and enjoy it. Looks like it will work well for carry.

A 4KW generator works well. I had one in the motor home but didn't get one in the 5th wheel. Our only rig now our Lance pick up camper which has a propane fired 2.5 KW. It was great for our AK trip. We stayed in a bunch of National or State Forest Campgrounds with no hook ups. Run the Generator when you wanted to use the microwave and then enjoy the quiet.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Well, [email protected] 7:30am call from Cabela's, seems they missed a signature block! 😒 Offered me a box of ammo and $50 gift card for my troubles. Ended up with two 100 round boxes of Herter's, a Portable Security Safe and the $50 gift card. Guess they were happy I came back. Met me at the employee entrance and was out before they opened. Boy, was there a line, word was out they had ammo today, 5 box limit but don't know the price.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Good morning folks! Tested out the new Safariland 576 GLS setup for the P320C all day yesterday. Very comfortable and like the lock system. Had to install a shim for the proper fit but once installed nice and snug. I went with the Tan or Sand color since I wear (live in) light colored pants so it is kind of inconspicuous where are in open carry only States, should be only three. Today I'm giving the Shield Plus and Safariland #27, as shown, a road test. With a dark blue T shirt, wifie didn't even notice, even with me trying to make it obvious. I'm not a fan of the single clip because it is usually right where my belt loop is so I prefer the 2 clip or pancake style better but, so far it quite comfortable. I tried to talk the wife out of her BlackRhino CTS, NOPE! Mine is fore the Shield with CT Laser and too loose. It really pains me to have to test these, LOL, but it got to be done! Off to the range soon!
Oh, people keep asking on FB about the difference between the Shield and Plus. The slide width is the same at .90, grip on the standard is just under 1" with the Plus at 1-1/16", not muck but feels like more and the trigger, for me, is just a natural fit! To be honest I do not notice much difference in the grip texture between the 2.0 and the Plus. Now that the wife has tried all 3, she's sticking with her baby. The have been through several classes together and she's not parting with it! LOL

Well, you all have a great day and be safe!

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,494
So how do the grips on the S&W's compare with the P320 and what grip size do you prefer. Mine are all small as they feel the best in my hands.

Cooler the last couple days with some strong winds yesterday and breezy today.

Hope that baby is nothing but 10 ring SmittyJ.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
So how do the grips on the S&W's compare with the P320 and what grip size do you prefer. Mine are all small as they feel the best in my hands.

Cooler the last couple days with some strong winds yesterday and breezy today.

Hope that baby is nothing but 10 ring SmittyJ.
I have the Medium on the P320C and fits the same as my M11-A1, the Shields are definitely thinner but still feel good to me, especially the Plus. I did kind of unintentionally fib on my Shield comparison, they were a 2.0 and a Plus. The Shield I tested in my BR CTS was a 1.0. I've got to get the calipers to that one because I tried the Plus in that holster (Fits the CT Laser) and with a little tightening of the tension screw it fits great.

Me too on the 10 ring, lol. I know the wife's did not like 148gr Browning ammo, the full size M&Ps and Sigs shot it fine. Every thing we have seems to run great on 124gr so we try to standardize (when and where available) on that. Target wize lately all I see is 115gr.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Good morning folks and Happy Monday! Well, our countdown begins in earnest today. We ordered some last minute things, final Covid shots Wednesday, brakes on Durango Thursday and detailed next week, with a goal to be at my brother's in Post Falls the 22nd. Our rough estimate is 9050 miles and 17 States with our only time constraint being Virginia City, NV. after May 31st. We have quite a "Wish" list and a fill in "maybe" list of Mining Towns, Ghost Towns, and Old Cemeteries. lol. Our trip will take us from Coast to Coast and Border to Border, at least as planned. Kind of crazy for two old farts at 75, Maybe that should be one old fart and his wife, but if not now, it will never happen. Oh, and I ain't flying !! I haven't been on a plane since I retired.
Both the wife and I are well schooled in Situational Awareness and plan on avoiding major big cities, especially Minneapolis. In my travels I have gotten off the beaten path a couple of times.

Might have to start a Travel log to periodically post Pics , cwap, new batteries (and spares) for both Nikons and $800 cell phones, the dang things ought to take the pics all by themselves! All we have to do is make sure they are charged! Oh, and a $50 cord because the new phones won't work with the old car chargers. 😕 New technology

You all have a great day and be safe!

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,497
Sounds like a great trip and a travel log would be great or even a blog and definitely pics.. I knew some people that went full time RVing and their site was wherervnow.com. Something like that but obviously without the RV stuff.

You get out NH way give me a call. I'll you PM my cell number and address.

·
Registered
11,075 Posts
Sounds like a great trip and a travel log would be great or even a blog and definitely pics.. I knew some people that went full time RVing and their site was wherervnow.com. Something like that but obviously without the RV stuff.

You get out NH way give me a call. I'll you PM my cell number and address.
Would love to do that, also have a Cop Niece in NH, but, at least at this point, we are planning on heading West from VA to Kalamazoo MI. Thankfully my map gave me a friendly reminder to watch for toll roads and my Garmin has an avoidance setting also.

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,499
We'll be there if you change your mind. Say the secret word Lobstah

·
Super Moderator
10,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,500
Three days ago the bucket trucks were out on the street and my wifi stopped working. After phone calls and tech visit it was concluded the guys in the street screwed something up. Finally this morning I have it back.

One week from today we are heading back north. Today we are going shopping to top off the groceries to get us thru to next week.

2481 - 2500 of 2509 Posts