Gunner Forum banner
2641 - 2660 of 2689 Posts

·
Administrator
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,641 ·
We went through the Mojave Desert when I was 9 in our 1956 Pontiac with no A/C. Not knowing any better we went thru in the daytime. Stopped a a restaurant for a cold drink and asked the waitress what the temp was and she said "only 116". I remember thinking it was like being in an oven with the air that came in the windows as we motored down the road. We live in CA for 3 or 4 months and my mother got homesick and back to Vermont we went and eventually to western MA as my dad began working on construction and worked on the Mass Pike. In the 4th grade I was in 3 different schools. :eek:

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Welcome back Smitty. Sounds like a whirl-a-wind adventure and a great time. Was it crowded in the National Parks?

In the 90's here the next 3 days and I got two pails of driveway sealer down yesterday so got one more for this week. I'll do 3 a week until I get down to the road. Figuring I'll get there in September.
Parks weren't too bad. We did have a 10 mile backup for Old Faithful and decided to pass since we had been there before and we had road construction at the Glaciers entrance to Glacier NP that was 3 hours of stop and go on a rough dirt road but, the Durango has 10" ground clearance and great AC and we packed a lunch! You definitely want to plan potty stops!

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Fourth day in a row of +90 temps with dew points running around 70. Set two records in a row for this area and probably a 3rd today. Been doing my indoors jobs. Lined the inside of the toilet tanks with a foam insulation to reduce the condensation on the tanks. Stuff is like working with bitch-o-thane. I also put a new flush lever on the upstairs toilet and actually had to hack saw off the old then after I got it off I figured out it was a reverse thread. :oops:
We took our trip when we did to hopefully miss the heat. The highest we hit was 103 in Sheridan WY. but came home to 4 days of 100+. We had 1 @ 104 and 10 @ 108 at the house here on the peninsula a block from Puget Sound and a State Record of 115 at Forks near the Olympic Rain Forest! We're not supposed to have this kind ho heat in western WA.

·
Administrator
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,644 ·
It's 60 here right now and threat of rain. Rained a lot yesterday with highs in the 50's. After the 90's a couple days before it seems strange for 4th of July. Memorial Day was the same cold and rainy. Feel bad for those working for a living trying to enjoy some time off.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Good morning folks and Happy Independence Day! Hoping for a quiet and flameless day and night out west, most events and areas have been canceled due to high fire danger but we had and hour of booming last night. We'll keep the water hose handy here.

Hope you all have a great and safe day!

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Some of the Knives we picked up on our trip. The top 3 are NRA promos the Son gave us, one for each hand and a backup, lol. The two Buck folders are gifts for grandsons, one more on the way. The last two are an Anza, top, for me, love their knives, and the other from Bear Tooth Leather in Bozeman. Nice an, even opened his shop on Sunday for us.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
More knives, lol. Anza for Wifies son for Birthday and the trusty Buck folder for work around the house while we were gne. The little Damascas Little Finger copy we an anniversary gift from Wifie picked up in Jerome Az.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
One of the biggest hikights if the trip was Wifie, and me, meeting Tom Oar from The Mountain Men TV show along with his friend Will Stringfelow at Will's Willow Bend Trading Post wher I picked up another knife of course! Another obvious hilight was finding a much needed outhouse in the middle of nowhere! LOL

Attachments

Reactions: RidgeRunner

·
Administrator
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,649 ·
Quite a knife collection to got there Smithy. Traveling is so much fun and you're always happy to get home and then a couple days later it's like now what.

I never watched the Mountain Man show but Tom Oar looks like a character. Looking on the web it looks like he is still in Montana but thinking about moving to FL.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Quite a knife collection to got there Smithy. Traveling is so much fun and you're always happy to get home and then a couple days later it's like now what.

I never watched the Mountain Man show but Tom Oar looks like a character. Looking on the web it looks like he is still in Montana but thinking about moving to FL.
Rummer, he hates Fl even though his kids live there. He has no plans on moving there and even talked his brother into moving from Idaho to the Yaak last year.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Good morning folks! Finally got the yard cleaned up, now cutting down some deceased trees, e couple extremely rotten. Amazing what you find when you get the brush cleared. Got the F150 brakes done, now to get the Durango in at the end of the month!
Finally went to the Doc about my back / hip issue. Had problems for thirty years and finally requested x-rays. YIKES! S curve between L1 & L4, severe arthritis and bone spurs. Past time to fix the problem instead of pain meds and muscle relaxers. Probably had this curve all my life and never knew. Next, off to see a neurosurgeon for an evaluation, maybe they can blast with a laser?
You all have a great day!

·
Administrator
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,652 ·
The tropical storm Elsa ran up the coast and not sure what it is right now but a lot of rain here today. Temps in the 60's so a good day to stay in the house. I did get the door between the cellar and the garage painted. It's metal over wood so used rust-oleum. It stunk so bad I took the door off and did it outside over 4 days on saw horses. One coat primer and three coats white. Looks a lot better as I did the wood door frame with 2 coats of latex while I had the door outside.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Smitty, have you been to a chiropractor?
Nope, don;t believe in them. They just rearrange thing and never fix the problem.
First time ever for an x-ray so getting a referral to a Neurosurgeon, probably get an MRI for a better look. My guess is, it's been this way for 75 years.

Reactions: Happy Pappy

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Good morning folks! More trees coming down, looking good! Going to get some more winter sun.
Hope you all have a great day! We are off to the big city to visit GGranddaughter and soon to be little brother. :)

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
A Sunday drive:

Reactions: SmittyJ

·
Administrator
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,657 ·
Pouring rain here today as we are projected to get over 3" today on top of the 3" we got Friday from Elsa. Hope the weatherman stops telling us how dry it's been. Not helpful to my driveway sealing project. I heard a tree go down this morning, probably uprooted in the wet soil on the hillside. Newton strikes again.

·
Registered
11,167 Posts

·
Registered
11,167 Posts
Good morning folks! No rain for days and none in sight! Getting pretty brown around hear.
Well, bit the bullet and bought a new smart tv, time to move in to the modern world. Wifie will be happy when football season starts again!

You all have a great day!

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I've got a smart Samsung. At least 50, I haven't counted, free channels. Some are good, like Paramount Movie, others look like something a teenager made in his basement. Newsmax is the best one, getting honest news.

Our weather here has been anywhere from 88 to 95, with seventies at night. Very little rain in the past six weeks or more, but I'm glad it keeps my yard kinda brown..........Mowing once a month is okay with me......:rolleyes:

2641 - 2660 of 2689 Posts