Gunner Forum banner
2741 - 2760 of 2785 Posts

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,742 ·
Smitty sounds like you didn't (couldn't) move in there. Hopefully they won't find anything structural and you can knock it down with PT and/or a shot.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Good morning folks!
Well, not a good week at the Smith Family this week. First off took a week from computers and the internet to get my blood pressure down, lol.And to get my shoulder and arm working, boy they messed it up! Got the report back on the MRI, looks like I've been in a serious auto accident, lol. Amazing what years and nature can do. The short of it is, it is really f'd up but surprisingly the back is not the problem, it's the hip. Waiting to talk to the Doc to see what she has to say, I had to look up half the words in the report .
The real downer is my 14 year old grandson. He is the most cheery, fun loving, up beat young man you would ever want to meat but, this Covid lock down last year evidently threw him into quite an unknown depression. Seams in early April he was communicating with a girl in Michigan and said he was going to to, or thinking about, committing suicide. Thankfully she called the police who contacted our local police who paid my son a visit. Apparently this only took a matter of several minutes. Grandson was taken to the hospital then several months in a rehab facility for an eating disorder, he was starving himself and binge eating, evidently common with this situation. He finally came home under strict supervision and was allowed to start school last week. Thursday, Mom went too the mail box, 25' out the front door, and he found his Med stash and downed 40 ProZak! CWAP! He is now in a State Hospital where, I Hope, he gets help this time! Nobody talks about these costs of this past year!

Sorry to unload on you guys, just had to vent, no one in the family knows but my son and wife and the wife and I.

Back to my cave, you all have a great day!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Everybody having health issues ? I need some advice here.

I wrote a while back about my wife falling, the Friday before Thanksgiving. Landed on right thigh, no real pain, so it was decided to wait and see. Swollen spot for a day or so, said it just felt "sore". She has a very low pain threshold, so if it did hurt, I think even the neighbors would know. She's made slow but steady improvement, but still on crutches. Just complains the hurt leg is "weak".

As of about two weeks ago, seems she started losing energy and appetite. Her legs have swollen some, third time since the accident. Doan's and other diuretics have so far cleared that up each time. Rarely gets off the couch. For the most part, she's always disliked doctors (an understatement) and she's very scared of the China virus.

She says if I contact her doctor, I'll pay dearly, she'll blame me for everything, and see me in jail. She wants to trust time and God, although her condition is worrying me, she's not.

Her doctor can only be contacted through a specific webpage. I don't know the ID or password. And I'm taking a chance just typing this. Our computer is across the room from the couch, and right now I feel safe since she's dozed off. If she finds it, it will mean WW 3. Seriously, I think she could set the house on fire.

Nine months of doing all the cooking, washing, shopping, laundry, etc.,. etc. has been exhausting.

From what I understand, so long as she's coherent and says NO to the doctor, I can't do much ? Anybody know of a similar situation and how it ended up?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Thanks for that link. She's got roughly half the symptoms listed, especially the weakness and swelling, which could also be from just too much time lying on the couch. I don't know, depression from the lack of mobility could do it. Months on crutches would make anyone miserable. At most, I'll give it another day or so.

Most all of her friends are from church, and she spends a lot of time talking and texting with them. None of them seem to be suggesting any real help, though; just patience. Not good, she listens to them more than me.

EDIT : We finally had a good talk, after she couldn't even sit up without help for TV. Ambulance just left with her. Good news, the EMT's checked her over good, and are happy with her heart function. They are most concerned with the swelling, which can be brought down pretty quickly.

They said if I'm a couple hours behind her at ER, that's good, so I'll take care of dog, find her a change of clothes, and go.

• Love
Reactions: SmittyJ

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,747 ·
Good thing you interceded. Let the Doc's figure out the problem and get her back on track. Hope she is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Thanks, Terry. I think unloading here helped me decide a good argument, and just lucky she then gave me a good time to use it. The hospital's message site shows she got an echocardiogram at 6 AM. Don't know any more, not even a room number yet. I left the ER at 2 AM, test was at 6, they never let you sleep.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Thanks, Terry. I think unloading here helped me decide a good argument, and just lucky she then gave me a good time to use it. The hospital's message site shows she got an echocardiogram at 6 AM. Don't know any more, not even a room number yet. I left the ER at 2 AM, test was at 6, they never let you sleep.
I'm with Terry, good thing to get the Doc involved! Better to be wrong and well than ignore and cause more sever problems.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Good morning folks! Finally got a call )message) from the Surgeon Doc, more X-Rays required and threw around surgery rather loosely, we're going to need to have a good chat! Evidently he is not liking something around L4-L5, admittedly a bunch by their list, but I'm making no decisions without a very good chat and I haven't even met this guy.

All the new shows started last night so I may just have to bury myself in NCIS for the next couple of hours. LOL

You all have a great day!

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Just got home from hospital visit. Final verdict seems to be 90% sure wife has a narrowed heart valve, I think the upper left. So they have a tentative surgery date for Tuesday to replace it. They need two more tests, and still to get more fluid from her swollen legs and feet first. I hope these high-tech valves are miracles, doctor acts like it's a routine thing. Years ago they actually used pig valves.....

She just started Medicare in December, and her supplement is called Part G. Supposed to beat the Parts A & B they constantly hawk on TV. I don't know, but she researched a lot before deciding. She says it covers everything that Medicare doesn't ; A & B have more exceptions.

Work has me on leave of absence until FMLA kicks in, I just got the forms today. There goes the paycheck, but I keep the job, which I probably won't go back to anyway. I'm 65 in November, so might as well go for retirement. I was hoping to work another 14 months for the bigger SS check.

Poured rain all day, and more until tomorrow noon. Sure didn't help my mood.

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,752 ·
We'll say a prayer for her BC. I have a couple of in laws that had the heart valve replacement and both came out of it just fine. From what I understand the pig valves last about 10 years and then you have to do it again and the mechanical 20-25 but you need to take a blood thinner. They probably have come a long ways since I was up to speed on them.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
Thanks, Terry. Reassuring about your in-laws' experience. I've had my Occasionally Better Half going on 24 years, and I'd like to keep her around a lot longer.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I had a scary day Wednesday, and not sure if it's over. Doctor called early, saying wife had refused any further treatment and did not want to be resuscitated either. Soon as I calmed down enough to risk driving, I spent three hours talking her out of it. Or at least she promised she would tell the doctor that this morning, he comes in about 9. I'm praying she keeps her word. I know she's pretty miserable laying there, and scared. I hope her reasoning stays clear on this.

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,755 ·
Time for the clergy at her church to accidently walk by, cheer her up and encourage her to seek treatment. Maybe a phone call from you could make that accident happen. ;)

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
I called both of her pastors, neither offered to visit, one called her but she wouldn't talk to him. That was earlier in our talk, though; I may try again today if need be.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
No luck on the pastors. No luck changing her mind. She says treatment is a waste of time, because she has cancer, which she doesn't. She somehow read that into something that was said, which she is good at doing. Very destructive imagination this time.

Wife has no life insurance, that went with leaving her job, no plot, etc.. New problem is that most of our money is in one of her IRAs. Bank says standard procedure requires a notarized signature before it can be rolled into our joint savings account. Wife can't do that from a hospital bed. Bank manager said she'd research if there's some other way, after I told her that if I wait much longer I can just give her a death certificate instead. She's supposed to get back to me tomorrow. She does understand I'd rather have means to pay everything before the fact, instead of after when I'll be a total mess.

Folks, don't wait to the last minute. Have everything organized beforehand.

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Just got home from hospital visit. Final verdict seems to be 90% sure wife has a narrowed heart valve, I think the upper left. So they have a tentative surgery date for Tuesday to replace it. They need two more tests, and still to get more fluid from her swollen legs and feet first. I hope these high-tech valves are miracles, doctor acts like it's a routine thing. Years ago they actually used pig valves.....

She just started Medicare in December, and her supplement is called Part G. Supposed to beat the Parts A & B they constantly hawk on TV. I don't know, but she researched a lot before deciding. She says it covers everything that Medicare doesn't ; A & B have more exceptions.

Work has me on leave of absence until FMLA kicks in, I just got the forms today. There goes the paycheck, but I keep the job, which I probably won't go back to anyway. I'm 65 in November, so might as well go for retirement. I was hoping to work another 14 months for the bigger SS check.

Poured rain all day, and more until tomorrow noon. Sure didn't help my mood.
Praying for you guys! Hope all goes well!

·
Registered
11,226 Posts
Good morning folks! We are having a sunny Saturday before the rain returns tomorrow.
Finally broke down and ordered a 1791 OWB holster for my Shield Plus, shipped next day. Shure better service than the last two I ordered. I have the same one for my M11-A1 and it is very well made so I am expecting the same with this one. $51 and no freight is not bad either, most are $80 to $150 + freight.
Well, got my consultation for my back set up for early next month, don't know why they need more x-rays but they do and they seem to really be pushing the surgery. Seems to be because of the issues with the L4-L5 area. We certainly are going to have a serious discussion about it!
Hope you are all doing well! Have a great day!

·
Administrator
11,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,760 ·
Yesterday we went to an interesting and solemn event. My wife's great grandfather was the Fire Chief in Dover, NH and was killed in a gas explosion in 1925. It was an in the line of duty death and yesterday his name was added to the state memorial for fallen firefighters. We attended and there were 4 names added to the memorial, two they called legacy names and two that were current. A TV news report:

Four names added to New Hampshire Fallen Firefighters Memorial (wmur.com)

2741 - 2760 of 2785 Posts