Gunner Forum banner
2801 - 2820 of 2850 Posts

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
............ I got a 63 Plymouth with a slant six and that was quite an upgrade. It had the push button auto trans and the engine was solid. I had that until I graduated and went to work for GM .......
I had a white '63 Fury; with 318, paid $100 for it in 1975. Had like 90K. Two tires and brakes fixed it right up. I drove it two years, then the wife came home with a bad rod knock. I junked it for $100, not bad.

Then paid $300 for a '72 Cricket with 30k, that had some bad wires in the dash that cost me $20 to fix. Guy sold it cheap because it wouldn't start at first. I got it started and handed him the money. Then it took me two days to get it out of his driveway.....Crickets were actually British, the Hillman Avenger rebadged for Plymouth. The running gear was MGB. I drove it for two years, and actually sold it for $100 more than I paid for it.

·
Administrator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,802 ·
Today is our second day of rain and cooler temps. November gray skies in Oct. and the wind is supposed to pick up with gusts to 50 here this afternoon and tonight. A Noreasta (as they say in Maine). No good weather until Thursday-Friday then the opening day of muzzleloader Saturday supposed to be windy and rainy again. :mad:

·
Administrator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,803 ·
Got the Moderna booster jab yesterday so should give my immunity a boost by the time we head south in a couple of weeks. Just a little soreness in the arm but isn't bad this morning once I got up and moving around.

A little wind during the night and more rain. Only heard one gust that was howling pretty good and the rest in the 30-40 MPH range would be my guess. Could have had more but it didn't interrupt my sleep. Supposed to be sunshine tomorrow and Friday so looks like Fri is a day with the leaf blower.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
We had 30-40 gusts yesterday, but no rain. That's coming tomorrow afternoon through early Saturday. About 48 hours of it, but not forecast to be heavy. Temps are holding in the sixties. I haven't mowed for a month, thank goodness it's mostly dead and the weeds I have don't get tall enough to matter. It can wait until March or so......:cool:

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I happened to think about our most accurate forecasts. Channel 7 is pretty reliable. Might be helpful before you head south.

Weather (wdbj7.com)

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Good morning folks! Our local pharmacy is offering all 3 versions of the vax for boosters, we have to wait a couple of weeks yet.

We're on our second week of rain and had high winds over the week end. Of course, one of the 3 trees we paid the wife's son to take down in July came down on our fence just narrowly missing the neighbor's Jeep! Needless to say, I was super pissed!! But, very unusual foe me, did not say a word! It was hard though. This is between her and her son, but! No more will we help out financially by giving him odd jobs.By the way, he does have a tree service company and he offered but just cut money trees and left the three bad ones.

We are also the proud owners of a battery run chainsaw! Took my Stihl in for a tune up, hasn't been used for years, and had a burned piston and scored cylinder. Never used it muck, but that sucked! May look into rebuilding it myself, we'll see.

You all have a great day, and stay dry!

·
Administrator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,807 ·
We are in the process of getting the flooring done up stairs. We had carpeting and that has been removed and the "luxury vinyl" flooring was on a ship in Savannah. We ordered in May. It has been unloaded and delivered to the flooring CO. They are bringing it over tomorrow and will be out next week to install. We are also having oak stair treads installed and they are being made and stained to the color we want at some outfit in Maine and shipped. The treads are problematic so we told the salesman we could give them an extra week if that will help. The way it stands right now we are leaving either 11/7 or 11/14 depending on what he tells us about the treads. We have reservations at the FF Inn on Plantation Drive either the 8th or 15. We are leaning toward the latter dates. It should give me an extra week to hunt muzzleloader so not a bad option. Give me more time to get all the equipment oil changes done and winterized.

The flooring (will outlast us no doubt):

COREtec Plus Premium 7" penmore walnut vv458-02711 Vinyl Plank Flooring | COREtec (coretecfloors.com)

Thanks BC for the TV link as I get closer I'll give it a look. The biggest problem in Nov is on our way to Hazleton, PA as it is always colder than a well diggers destination as Red Skelton used to say. More often then not we have snow or freezing rain when we leave in the AM. Snow I can deal with freezing rain gives me the heebie jeebies.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
That flooring looks nice. Amazing what fake flooring can be these days. I've got 1949 genuine oak. I remember when they redid the carpet 20 years ago, the floor had several bad stained areas, would probably have to be sanded down to the joists ......o_O....The carpet is in the dining and living rooms, and a short hall. It looks more than 20 years old as the wife insisted on light green with thick padding. Getting it to look clean is no longer an option.

At least the exposed oak floor looks good, those rooms have area rugs. The kitchen has sheet vinyl. People that did the kitchen were afraid of asbestos, and put thin luan plywood over the floor and under the vinyl. God only knows what that looks like underneath.

Oh well, it will all be here after I'm not.......:(

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Good morning folks! Got the hot flash to join my son at Elk Camp this yea for a couple of days, in honor of my brother's 79th birthday the 28th and my 75th year. Had a great time breaking in the son's new Cricket trailer. It's a real bugger for an old guy with a bad back and knees to get in to though.Opening Elk was yesterday and only saw one Cow but most have seen 50 Mule Deer. Had a good time anyway, had to get back for Doc appointments.

Got in some trigger time, more than pleased with the P320C and the Wilson Combat mod. 15 rounds into a 2" x 1" stick at about 7 yards, amazed myself! Needless to say I couldn't be more please! Wish I would have had some actual targets with me. The Shield Plus, on the other hand, was pretty snappy and was more of a 6" circle. I was using up some of my old 115gr Sellier & Beloit ammo.

Hope you all have a great day and stay safe!

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Good morning folks! Happy Monday! I think the system was down the day I mentioned my good Stihl chain saw was dead. Had not used it for years so took it in for a tune up but rings were fused to the piston and the cylinder was scored, At $70 an hour and parts was not cost effective to repair so bought a little battery one. The downed tree was 12" at the base and 30' and the little 12" Stihl buzzed right through it. My back, on the other hand is complaining like crazy this morning. To be honest, I'm not sure I could have even run the other one. The aggravating part is, we had already paid the wife's son to cut it and two others down in July.
OK, moving on, we had a beautiful weekend with rain returning supposedly today and off to the pain management Doc tomorrow, finally, to see what he has to say. And, the Seahawks finally won a game!

You all have a great day and stay safe!

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
I bought an Oregon corded electric chainsaw three years back. Power company took down two maples for free, they were both dying anyway. Part of the deal was I was stuck with the wood. Not too bad, people passing by happily grabbed all the wood that could be lifted. That left me five big pieces. The Oregon didn't work very well trying to cut them in half. After the first few inches it would bog down and stop cutting. So, it's three years old and used maybe 2 hours. I've debated trying again now that the wood is dry and gray, but not this year,

·
Administrator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,812 ·
In early 2020 my primary care Dr. of 20 years decided he would rather be on his sail boat than giving physicals and he retired. The practice he was a part of redistributed his patients among existing practice Doctors. The result was the new Doc was rushed and not nearly as thorough and did not give a real physical. I searched new practices and picked an Internal Medicine practice and had my first appointment yesterday. He did the head to toe check up I was used to and I was impressed with the practice and his thoroughness. Looks like I am back in business with a good Doc.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Good docs are hard to find. Too many offices herd you through like cattle, and don't do much but write prescriptions. You should put this one on your Christmas card list......:)

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I bought an Oregon corded electric chainsaw three years back. Power company took down two maples for free, they were both dying anyway. Part of the deal was I was stuck with the wood. Not too bad, people passing by happily grabbed all the wood that could be lifted. That left me five big pieces. The Oregon didn't work very well trying to cut them in half. After the first few inches it would bog down and stop cutting. So, it's three years old and used maybe 2 hours. I've debated trying again now that the wood is dry and gray, but not this year,
My son bought an Oregon battery version, sawdust gets inside and shorts it out, no repair centers. Had to but another on Amazon and return the old one, only to be used for an emergency.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Good morning folks! Survived Halloween and the rain, off to the pain Doc today to see what he has to say. Maybe I'll just take up drinking, probably won't help but wouldn't care!

Have a great day!

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Good morning folks! From what little I have seen so far, looks like yesterday might have been a poor day for progressives, time will tell.
Met with the pain Doc, getting a muscle relaxer shot in a couple weeks and setting up a steroid shot to the lower spine in the near future.

And, the rain continues and we gained a critter under the house, time for the Rat guy! I may shoot my neighbor if she doesn't stop feeding them! Wifie is going to have another talk with her.

Have a great day!

·
Administrator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,817 ·
We got our first frost this morning and I suspect it was a freeze as well. Bright sunshine and no wind a nice crisp fall day. I figured the deer would be moving so got on stand about 15 minutes before legal time and settled in. Nothing came thru. I figure they must be rutting to some degree but haven't seen any sign. No acorns so imagine the does are where the feed is and the bucks are where the does are. Put out 3 scent bombs so we'll see how it goes.

I went out yesterday afternoon and was blowing leaves got almost finished and it started raining and spitting snow. Figured I could finish so stayed at it and it started raining harder so I was a little rushed at the end. Leaves are still coming so will do them once more before we head south and worry about them in the spring.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Roanoke hasn't quite hit 32 yet, 36 this morning. High will be 50, but forecast says 62 over the weekend. Mountains to the west got flurries yesterday. I hope it stays decent for when you're passing through..... :)

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Good morning folks! SOSDD! 40s and RAIN!

Have a great day and stay dry!

·
Administrator
11,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,820 ·
Had a 5 pointer come out this morning at 7:15 and he stood with his heart lung area behind a big tree and looked at me. I had the gun up already and had plenty of neck for the 50 yard muzzleloader shot and he went straight down. I put out scent bombs a few days ago and that got him curious. Not a monster as he dressed out 110# on the butchers scale but he was fat and should be good eating.

The flooring guys finished today and they did an excellent job. A cleaning with the vinyl floor cleaner tomorrow and then we bring all the stuff back up stairs they we got off the floor and brought in downstairs.

I have to change the oil in the tractor, lawnmower and truck and winterize a couple other things then it's time to get ready to leave. Looks like good weather all weeks and sure hope it holds for a wile longer.

2801 - 2820 of 2850 Posts