Gunner Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent over an hour on the phone Saturday afternoon with someone from HP (India I imagine) on my computer. It wouldn't boot up so we went through a series of tests and procedures and he concluded the motherboard was bad. The notebook is one year and 15 days old with a 1 year warranty. HP said they would honor the warranty and are shipping a Fed X Box to return. I tried to boot it this morning and it came up just like it normally would. Maddening, now what do I do?? Guess I try it a few more times and if it keeps coming up then buy the extended warranty and forget about sending it back. He said sometimes static electricity locks them up like that and he talked me through pulling the drive and two circuit boards and it did nothing to help. After it came up I ran a virus scan and did an incremental backup so if it does crap out I have the data up to date.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
yep, it does frazzle the nerves....

we had a dsl outage last thur.
seems everyone else's computer in town ws back up and runnin' come friday mornin' except mine.
Sat went thru the whole 9 yards with tec support from unpluggin' wires and turnin things off and re-startin'.

Still would not work and come to find out that what ever reason my isp address was not reconized.
step by step got thru it with a man difficult to understand his english----but finally got it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Terryp,
Doubt that its the motherboard. Probably the hard drive. Tey one from another computer
and see if it will act like it willk boot. Had the same problem with our E Machine. Had a black
screen which indicats the Windows Op.System is gone. Would not take a restore disk. Went
to that dismal place(Wally World) and bought a new hard drive. Switched it out and bingo-
ready to take the restore disk.Worth a try.

·
Administrator
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rp_cavanaugh said:
Not a dv6000 I hope?
How did you know? Whats the issue they weren't telling me?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Shot in the dark.

We both have one here. Uh oh.......

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
deputy125 said:
yep, it does frazzle the nerves....

we had a dsl outage last thur.
seems everyone else's computer in town ws back up and runnin' come friday mornin' except mine.
Sat went thru the whole 9 yards with tec support from unpluggin' wires and turnin things off and re-startin'.

Still would not work and come to find out that what ever reason my isp address was not reconized.
step by step got thru it with a man difficult to understand his english----but finally got it.
I've had that happen twice after power outages. I had to unplug every cable conecting my computer from the wall where it comes in to the computer and then hook them all up in order from in the house to in the computer. What a pain! You'd be surprised at how many naughty words I can cram into a sentence. :|

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
that dang internet thru the dish network satellite is sure lookin' better and better.............
still under a "contract" with verizon phone lines at the moment................

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I don't have a contract, but I'm not sold on the dish for internet yet. :?

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I have mine bundled thru our cable company... broadband is so much faster, can talk on the phone at the same time and watch TV as well

·
Administrator
11,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have Verizon FIOS (actually its Fairpoint Communications after they were spun off). It's a fiber optic feed that gives both phone and BB internet access. They are also bringing in cable TV to the area soon. When they first brought it out I ordered it as my driveway is 700 ft long and they were willing to do it for no cost just a two year deal and I was still able to suspend when I head south. Phone and internet are $60 a month so it's not outrageous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts