Gunner Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, I have an old black powder pistol that was my late father's that has no serial or manufacturer identification besides an 'X' on the underside of the barrel. I've taken it to a local gun shop whose owner was perplexed, as was an associate of his, and a few other gun enthusiasts I've asked; who can only tell me that it's definitely a black powder cap gun, but that's it. Some Reddit folks were very helpful, mentioning that it looks like a well-made, one-of-a-kind boutique or homemade gun. It weighs 1 lb 4 oz and measures approx 9 in length and 5 in height (top of sight). Attached are a few pictures. I have someone who'd like to purchase it but I have no idea of its value, or even if it still shoots -though the mechanisms seem to be in good working order. I appreciate anything you can tell me.
Sleeve Grey Musical instrument accessory Everyday carry Knife

Metal Wood Auto part Natural material Composite material

Textile Sleeve Revolver Collar Beige
Metal Wood Auto part Natural material Composite material
Textile Sleeve Revolver Collar Beige
Sleeve Grey Musical instrument accessory Everyday carry Knife

·
Administrator
12,032 Posts
Any idea of the caliber? Is the bore rifled? Never seen a front sight like that? If you cock the hammer will it stay back? Is there a half cock? Will a #11 cap fit on the nipple??

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Could be one of the kit guns that were once really popular, but seems like that would have a maker stamp somewhere. Really unusual sighting !

Reactions: crusadercottage

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
That's the first time I've seen a rear sight on the hammer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea of the caliber? Is the bore rifled? Never seen a front sight like that? If you cock the hammer will it stay back? Is there a half cock? Will a #11 cap fit on the nipple??
Questions 1 and 2: No idea, but I will take these questions to a local gun shop guy who might be able to help answer them. 3. I haven't, either. 4. Yes, the hammer will stay back. 5. No half cock. 6. Refer to 1 and 2. Thanks Terry, I'll post better answers to these as soon as I get them.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
Looking at the fat grip, the hammer's shape, checkered spur, and the dovetail front sight.
My old brain cells tell me it's not very old.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I knew old Colts don't have a rear sight until they are cocked. No where to put one without a top strap. Doesn't look strong enough to do what it did.

Remington's was a much better design in that and other ways. Better barrel attachment and simpler action.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts