Gunner Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good morning,
I am an Italian hunter and I am writing here since I am thinking about buying a Winchester 94, 30 30 win, 20 inc barrel, almost new, 1956, at what sounds like a reasonable price (for Italy) 900 euro.
I would use it in a kind of wild boar drive (braccata), in a hilly, mostly wooded, area in between Emilia Romagna and Tuscany, animals can range from less then 40kg up to 150, average around 50-70 kg., most of shots are less then 100 yards, often less then 50 yards and I wouldn't pull the trigger when over 100, but they tend to have a lot of adrenaline due to dogs. Iron sights.

Would you say 30 30 win would do its job in this scenario?
If yes, do you have any advice on cartridges? I am fascinated by Hornady leverevolution FTX 160, but I have seen a lot of controversial comments.

I guess my questions have already been asked several times, but I haven't found a recent answer and thing change every year especially when it comes to ammo.

I will really appreciate your comments, opinions, suggestions ... I am in love with this gun, but I wouldn't like to do the deal just to have one more rifle waiting to be cleaned from the dust :)
Thank you very much in advance !

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
The 30/30 should be more than enough to handle the hogs even if they are driven. I would use a good 170 gr bullet that will penetrate to the vitals. It sounds like quick shooting and the Model 94 is made for that type of hunting. I hunted hogs in Texas and killed them with a 30/06 and a 270 Win. With a well placed shot they are not hard to kill. I had a friend down there that used a .22 mag and took head shots but that was over bait. The Model 94 is a classic and if it's in good condition that price is not unreasonable. Good luck and post up some pictures of the rifle.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
11,395 Posts
Sounds like quite a find. That gun has taken all kinds of game for many years, good hunting!

Reactions: bearcatter

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I had to convert Euros and kilograms. That is a decent price for a good vintage 94, 900 Euros is about $950 USD. I've seen them sell much higher. Brand new 94 carbine lists for $1250 USD.
That is some big boars, be careful out there!

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I always wanted a lever, but never bought one. I wanted a 22 LR with a loading gate, so I could reload like in the Western movies, but nobody makes that....:(

·
Administrator
11,744 Posts
I had a Marlin 336Cin 35 Rem and I stupidly sold it because I had to have something else.

My GF had a Browning 22 semi auto that was older than I was and he used it when he had a meat market. He then got out of that business and had it on the farm. I used to shoot woodchucks with it on the farm. It was a shooter. It looked a lot like the below.

Air gun Trigger Gun accessory Wood Gun barrel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts