Gunner Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting guns since I could walk but I have never owned a handgun. I am a great shot with just about anything, so I figured it's time to invest in my own handgun. I am wondering what you think the best handgun is. I am a skilled beginner; so I am looking for things such as power, accuracy and easy maintenance. Please share what handgun (s) you think are best and/or what you would recommend to my situation. Thanks for all the replies!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Depends on why you want one
By my bed - 380 ACP [ mustang II ]
My wife carries the Beretta 22lr with snake rounds for snakes / critters in yard
Hunting as a back up Desert eagle 50 AE .
Plinking at gun range - from the Winchester CO2 BB , 22lr , 25 ACP , 380 ACP , 9 mm , 357 , 38S , 44 , 45 ACP and 50 AE .
The BB's and 22lr - I don't reload - everything else I do .
I would suggest you rent a few before you decide .
The cops , FBI and even the military can't decide what is best .

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Have always loved 1911s and always will, but arthritis in my left hand now makes racking the slide on any auto with much of a recoil spring a real problem, even for casual shooting at the range. That's a an even more serious handicap for using one as a carry gun. Once had a dozen 1911s, but now down to one in 9mm.

That's okay, because I grew up shooting revolvers and love them. A 357 mag revolver will do anything I ever need to do, whether for target work or SD work, up to and including black bears, which we do get in the yard. Doesn't get more versatile than a 357 mag revolver. Don't need no stinking' auto loading gun. :)

·
Administrator
11,732 Posts
I'm a confirmed revolver guy so a Ruger GP100 in 357 Mag, Ruger Redhawk in 44 Mag or a S&W 686. If you are looking to carry concealed then the Ruger SP101 or S&W 642.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Hey bigdog, you've had one post in eight months. Are you still here?

For what it's worth, there is no one "best" handgun. It depends on what you're going to use it for. I don't care for semi-autos being less than 100% reliable, so I like revolvers. I particularly like single-action revolvers. Nice simple mechanism, and they give you time to think a little while you load and unload.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you haven't fired a handgun you may be in for a minor shock at first. I would start with a less powerful handgun until you get used to it and then move up from there. NCG makes a good point about the .357. it will do anything you are likely to need or want and you can start out using .38 special wadcutters and then move up from there. Just like your rifles, start light and slow and move up. IMHO

·
Registered
84 Posts
The few revolvers I have owned were either given away or traded .
Like most , I started with revolvers because they were cheaper .
By the time I went to 'NAM - it was just the 45 . [ also carried the Remington
w / 00 buck or darts , M-14 and the M-79 . ] I did not like the issue 38' revolvers .
Even now at gun range , revolvers spit out burnt powder before the bullet even
leaves the barrel .
One thing you learn in service is to clean your weapon and keep it that way .

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
I've needed a gun 3 times in my life . I had 5 shot J frame one time , then a 6 shot 1911 Detonic another time and 7 shot 1911 the last time . There was more bad guys then I had ammo . I got lucky all 3 times . Now that is why I carry a 15 shot Glock 23C and a NAA 22 Mag . I won't get caught with my pants down again and under gunned ever again . :-D :-D :-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.