Gunner Forum banner

What is your favorite caliber?

4K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Johngoboom 
#1 ·
I own 30/06, 270 Win, 257 Roberts, 250-3000, 222 Remington and 22 LR. All are bolts except the 250-3000. It is a tough choice for me as both the 270 and 250-3000 will shoot under an inch and my M700 Remington in 30/06 will hold an inch, all with handloads from sturdy bagged rest. The 30/06 is the most versatile and is usually my go to rifle for larger game so that has to be my favorite.

#2 ·
I don't own one at the moment, but I had a few and loved 'em. I hunted with a couple different Remington Model 700's in 30-06. 30-06 is by far my favorite rifle caliber. Whitetail deer to Grizzly if you know how to use it.

#3 ·
250 savage for hunting.

But i must admit, for shear numbers of rounds fired year around, costs, fun, and family time,------its got to be the lowly .22 LR.

#6 ·
unfortunantly i only have 2 bolt action rifles, and i'm pretty ordinary in caliber

30-06
and .22WMR.

they're both awesome to shoot.

#7 ·
These type of questions are impossible for me to answer. I love em all! I have at the moment:
Two .223s
30/06
30/30

I guess my favorite to shoot would be the .223, as it has no recoil and you can blast away with it, but as b. roberts mentioned, it is hard to beat the good old 30/06. You literally can do almost any job with it, from prarie poodles with 110 grain bullets to deer with 150-180 grain bullets to the really big critters with 220 grain bullets. The .308 can almost do anything the 30/06 can do, but not quite, as the case is not big enough for those big 220s. However, the .308 has always seemed to have the accuracy edge between the two, all other things being equal.

#8 ·
Drummer said:
I don't even have one right now. But when I was a little kid my dad bought us a 22 bolt action rifle at Sears. I had a lot of fun with that gun. I think he traded it and some other stuff for a revolver at some time.
that's all I have :lol:
A 25+ YO Sears .22 bolt action. I just recently bought some parts for it, and found it was originally made by Winchester.

I'll hopefully be purchasing a 30/06 this year to hunt with in the fall.

#12 ·
If I was rich, I wouldn't have a favorite caliber. There are so many great ones out there. I want a .223, a .270, a .308, one of the short magnums, and a .338 mag. That would handle all the animals that I hunt. However, the 30-06 and a .22 lr also handle all of my hunting needs.

#13 ·
Guess I'm a little different. About 20 years ago, I had a Rem. mod 742 in .243 Win. I really liked that round. It was the first gun I ever loaded for, and we ran some nice hot rounds through it (about 3400 - 3500 fps). Very accurate rifle, very flat shooting.....

#14 ·
My 22 is a Marlin Model 80 that I bought mail order when I was in high school so I've had it for 45 years. The Model 80 is a bolt and is still a good shooter. I put a 1" Redfield 2x7 scope on it with a set of groove mounts and that really helped my accuracy.

#16 ·
Easy for me to answer which ever one I have in my hand at the time. I have 22's up to 338 Win Mag. amd just about all point in between, I love them all and want more, there is never enough guns or ammo and there is never going to be enough time in my life to shoot all I want reload all I want and go to matchs all I want. If hunting around here wasn't so expensvie I would hunt the rest of my life with no complains.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.