Gunner Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080421/od_ ... K9EVoZ.3QA

Laser pointers banned after attacks Mon Apr 21, 12:11 PM ET

SYDNEY (Reuters) - A major Australian state has banned laser pointers after a spate of incidents in which aircraft pilots have been temporarily blinded, the government said on Monday.

High-powered hand lasers, including so-called "star pointers" used by astronomers, would be listed as prohibited weapons in New South Wales state with jail terms of up to 14 years for anyone carrying them without a permit.

"It is a gutless and cowardly act that could result in an horrific outcome. It only takes a fraction of a second for a pilot to become temporarily blinded and that could have catastrophic consequences," said state Premier Morris Iemma.

Several pilots have recently reported high-intensity lasers being shone into their cockpits during take-offs and landings, and police recently enlisted intelligence agencies to help combat what papers called "laser lunatics."

The latest incident occurred over Sydney's south at the weekend when an ambulance helicopter was hit by a green beam.

The ban will build on planned national importation controls announce by the federal government earlier this month, treating laser pointers like firearms.

"It's destructive, dangerous behavior which needs a coordinated response across Australia," said Home Affairs Minister Bob Debus.

(Reporting by Rob Taylor, editing by Sanjeev Miglani)

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I am not a pilot and of course wouldn't know if the pounter could do anything to them are not. But I guess farting in public will be next, if that is so I can't leave the house.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
What about my laser level, hate to be arrested while laying out a project at home!
This is a good example of making something illegal when they ought to be putting their energies into arresting the people doing this instead. I would think anyone doing this would heve to be pretty close to the aircraft, not miles away. It is illegal to interfer with a pilot by any means! Next they'll be wanting to ban the headlights on my car cause it might blind a pilot!

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
lol, they will get you in trouble from what i understand in Texas. The allmighty UIL has banned them from football games as reported some fans were interferin' with games by distractin' t players on purpose............................

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it's funny that you can do 14 years if caught with one. :roll:

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Not if your the one doing the 14 years. I have seen what could happen a gun show someone pointer a lazer point at someone accross the room and a fight also most incurld.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Snuffy said:
Not if your the one doing the 14 years. I have seen what could happen a gun show someone pointer a lazer point at someone accross the room and a fight also most incurld.
Could i please sneak in here with an unrelated question? Would this be OUR SNUFFY minus his cowboy avatar?

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
None other but OUR Snuffy-but I didn't know he'd had his avatar removed...hope you heal soon, Snuffy-don't lift anything heavy or you'll tear your stitches.....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
sheepdog said:
None other but OUR Snuffy-but I didn't know he'd had his avatar removed...hope you heal soon, Snuffy-don't lift anything heavy or you'll tear your stitches.....
What stitches? Why are there stitches? Just gone too long :(

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
:lol: Ok Natalie think about it! He had his avatar removed, ya know like surgery. :lol:
You really need to come down here to Texas fer some cultrual edgecation! :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts