Gunner Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I were watching one of those shows that show the security camera footage of guys holding up gas stations. The scenario is this...

Your at the gas station, pump your gas, and go inside to pay. You decide to get a soda while your there, and walk back to the coolers. While your towards the back of the store you hear someone run in and yell "Give me all the money in the register."

You pull your gun and turn towards the the robber who you see is pointing a handgun at the clerk. He hasn't noticed you yet...

Now what should you (or do you)do?

1. Stay behind the cover of the shelves (which really is pretty soft cover considering the only thing between you and a bullet is some pretzels and a few boxes of cornflakes). And in a loud voice demand the robber drop the gun. If he turns the gun on you, you're forced to fire...and now your going to need a good lawyer. But your conscience is clean, and one more piece of crap is off the street for good.

2. You stay low and behind cover, but so you can see the robber. You say nothing hoping the clerk will give the guy the money, and he'll leave as soon as he gets what he came for. You have your gun on him, and if he shoots the clerk, or notices you and turns the gun, you now have no choice but to let fly. Your going to court, but it's a no-brainer for ALMOST any jury.

3. You step out with the gun and show him that unless he backs down right now he is going to get shot, all the while yelling for him to put the gun down NOW. Again, your going to jail, but hey, if it all works out right, your going to get free coffee for life at the gas station.

4. Your a sheep, and the only thing you have to defend yourself with is the bottle of coke you just got out of the cooler. (I know that nobody here would be in that position, but it makes the point about carrying when ever you can.)

·
Registered
11,450 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I think that if you too ka shot with no warning you wouldn't even be charged. Like Sheepdog said he was commiting a felony. He was a threat to everyone in the store and others that weren't there. I really don't know what I would do. It would depend on a lot of things. If I was alone, what time of day or night, how many people in the store, etc.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...too many shoot the clerk for no reason...lady killed down here was not even given the chance to give him the money...he shot her and helped himself...take out the transmitter and the body gets no more signals...that's called "stopping the threat"...everyone but the scumbag goes home safely...we carry concealed for the power of surprise...to give him time to react is foolish....

Also...a basic rule I taught my rookies...DON'T TALK!!!! Yell "Drop it" once....nothing else...if you're talking, you have to stop talking to shoot...and a lot of them know it....as a citizen, we don't even have to warn them...just stop the deadly threat to defend ourselves or others to the extent they could defend themselves if they were able....

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
sheepdog said:
Head shot-no warning...I'm not a cop anymore...he's in comission of a major felony...case closed....

+1

be carefull of a partner----like wolves, they do run in packs.............

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sheepdog said:
as a citizen, we don't even have to warn them...just stop the deadly threat to defend ourselves or others to the extent they could defend themselves if they were able....
Are you sure that your justified in using deadly force to defend others? Seems to me, (that while it may be the right thing to do) they MIGHT try to make a case that the poor BG was never going to hurt anybody.

I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. I think giving the bastard a DT after yelling "put the gun down" is the way to go.

Let's all hope we never find out.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Texas does have a deadly force clause for defense of a 3rd person..............don't know about other States...

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
I should not carry until I learn how to quickly assess a situation and then arrive at a good conclusion. Also should know the law. I have had no exposure to this. These threads are good learning tools.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Natalie said:
I should not carry until I learn how to quickly assess a situation and then arrive at a good conclusion. Also should know the law. I have had no exposure to this. These threads are good learning tools.

Take the class

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...You SHOULD carry, if for your own personal defense only...you don't have to be a lawyer...just learn your states' laws concerning use of deadly force and go for it....

John, I know you live in a repressive state, but in Texas, we can still be men of courage and help other people when they can't help themselves....and you can get it changed in your state if you can get enough voters off their butts....

While you're yelling, he's turning...and you're alerting anyone with him....you're not trying to make an arrest...just stop the threat...learn your own state's laws...I know mine and they're lots better than many....Huge difference from one state to another...

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
...I have purposely avoided going out at night shopping or popping in for gas or a candy bar since I quit policing...just to lessen the chance that I'd happen in at the right(or wrong) time...but, lately, they don't just hit at night...in broad daylight with customers coming and going is almost as likely to be a bad situation...it's so very important to CARRY ALL THE TIME EVERYWHERE....and YES, I'm yelling...imagine the regret of being in a situation and your last thought as you go down is "I thought it was too much trouble this time..." especially if a loved one is there, too....ain't gonna happen....

To be honest, I have gotten lax this summer...only carrying my primary, but as of last week I'm back to primary and a backup...and I'll not get lax again...you might find someone willing to help yet unarmed...your primary may malfunction...I knew better but just got a bit lazy...shame on me......

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Florida also allows the use of deadly force for the protection of others. I agree with Sheepdog.....stay as concealed as possible, but put a round into his head....there is much to be said about the element of surprise...that's why they call it "concealed" carry.....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Walk away, never pulled my gun, never saw nothin. With the culture of litigation and the persecution of gun owners, if it's not threatening ME, I am not getting involved. Guess the clerk should have had a gun to protect himself, just like I have my own.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
You're right Jim. In most states the difference between an armed robbery sentence and a murder sentence is less than 10 years. What do they care. If they are on drugs they are more likely to kill someone. Pop 'em when they ain't looking. It's what they deserve.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.