Gunner Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine, talking about my new Marlin, said he had a mess of .22 "Stinger" rounds he'd let me have if it would work in that gun. What is that? He said it's not magnum, just a higher velocity .22 long? Do you think it would work in my 39A?

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
It'll work just fine. I've never seen any difference between stingers and non stingers. Same crap if you ask me.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent! he said he ;) had a bunch of it!! free ammo is cool.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
The bullet weight is reduced so the velocity is higher than standard 40gr 22 ammo. If it hits it is expands rapidly. I have had mixed results with it shooting well in some guns and not so much in others. The price is right so shoot it up and enjoy.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Actually the case is just a touch longer on stinger ammo. Terry is right too, the bullet size is reduced to make sure that the over-all length is the same.

Stingers have a noticeable "crack" to them compared to bulk stuff. Some guns like them for accuracy and others don't.

They should cycle and fire just fine out of your gun, and the price is right, so shoot 'em up.

As a side note, the .17 Mach2 is necked down stinger case and not a .22 LR case as most people think.

This is from Wikipedia, and sums it up fairly well.

The CCI Stinger was the first "hyper velocity" .22 LR cartridge, and provides a significant increase in velocity over standard .22 LR rounds. The Stinger uses a longer case, a stronger charge and copper plating on a lighter bullet. The case is longer than that of the normal Long Rifle cartridge, yet Stingers will fit in most Long Rifle chambered firearms. The powder is designed to burn more slowly and thus make the most use of the length of a rifle barrel. In the Stinger the extra case length is compensated by a shorter bullet, which is only available as a plated hollow point. The thin copper layer on the bullet functions as a lubricant and reduces the friction between the high velocity bullet and the barrel, thus reducing barrel wear. It also has an oxidation-preventing effect on the lead bullet. Lead tends to oxidize if stored over long periods of time; as a result of this, the bullet's diameter increases to a level that might both prevent the insertion of the cartridge in the chamber and might cause the pressure in the barrel to rise to a dangerously high level. The increase in pressure may lead to the case rupturing and potential danger to the shooter. Standard and subsonic cartridges tend to use a type of wax for the same purpose.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Man I've shot tons of that stuff and never noticed a difference. It can't be much of one. Either way it'll function just fine. At least it always did for me.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
it's good huntin' ammo and considered the best "defense" round for mouse guns.
But in the target games, i prefer the std velocity stuff over high velocity...............

·
Registered
892 Posts
To Terry P ;

What the Sam Hill do You mean, "If it hits, it expands rapidly", of course it is gonna hit !!
We are all crack shots here don'cha know ??

I personally ain't sure all the time, what it's gonna hit !! But, I know it'll definitely hit something in the immediate vicinity of what I was aimin at !!

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
We have the same target, Jim. Whatever's in front of the gun! :lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts