Gunner Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me it's been Florida for many years but I do like to travel to other places when I can. Ft. Myers, Florida has always been a favorite spot as well as down in Chattanooga, Tennessee. The majestic beauty of South Dakota, Montana and parts of Wyoming are appealing to me as well. If I ever win the powerball I'll be getting a second home in Montana at the foot of the Rockies. So where is it you go to vacation or at least get a little down time when needed? :mrgreen:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I don't ever go anywhere except to work. :( But I want to go to Deadwood and visit Wild Bill's grave one day. So much history there. I also love the southwest. :cool:

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
My wife and I had a really great vacation once in western North Carolina. Rented a cabin, had a blast. We've always talked about how we loved it there but haven't been able to get back.

However, a few years ago I met and fell in love with western Montana. Took my wife back the following year and she loved it to. But man, the flights are EXPENSIVE! So although once you get there it's cheap, it's hard to make that trip every year like I would like to.

I drove through Lake Placid once and would like to go back for a vacation. Stunning.

Yep, now that I think of it, those are my three favorite places I've been to in this country: western NC, western MT and upstate NY.

·
Registered
977 Posts
We don't tend to go very far...4 kids and 3 dogs tend to keep us close to home. But we do own a camping lot on a lake about 10 minutes from the house.

Camping with a/c, fishing, and 4 wheeling seems to wear us all out.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
If we're staying in one place, I like to camp. If traveling, I'd rather not unless in a travel trailer. There's beauty all over the U.S. and sometimes the season of the year increases that beauty. Rich and I usually had to take winter vacations so we've been down south a lot. We've yet to go to Texas and Arizona. We've spent a lot of time in Colorado because John lives there and N. Carolina because Anne lives there. The Everglades were our favorite spot in Florida. We had a blast there. I think Virginia is breathtaking in the fall and I love the Carolinas and Kentucky especially in the spring. Upstate New York is gorgeous but so is Northern Michigan. We were in Nevada when John was stationed there. Las Vegas is fun but the real beauty of that state is elsewhere. Rich and I love to drive around and explore. I long to see Montana, Wyoming, Alaska and the East Coast.

Taurus, when's the best time to visit Montana?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Well see'n as how I find myself on perminant vacation , I just go out to my wood shop to unwind. I'm so calm & collected I never get wound up if you've noticed. :twisted:

·
Administrator
11,128 Posts
We retired 5 years ago so there is no unwind left. We RV to Texas for the winter and back to NH for the summer. The best summer we have spent was in Alaska as the weather was super on the Kenai and the fishing was even better. Last year we decided to spend some time during the summer in the Dakota's. Figured it would be cool weather up there. Who knew it gets over 100 pretty regularily. It's pretty country up there but one day we were in Pierre, SD and it was 114.

When we used to be in the working world we liked the Florida Key's, had a great time one week in London one year, spent a week on a Windjammer (it was an old sailing ship from 1876) and came close to a concussion a number of times, but the one that took the cake :roll: was we spent a week on Great Duck Island about 10 miles off the coast (with no means to get back other than a water taxi or emergency helo) of Rockport, ME at the only house on the Island. We were alone on the Island except for the damn seagulls, and the owner of the property was a control freak that wanted us to call him every day. There was no electricity except for a small generator that we would run to charge batteries. We had to lug in all our water in when we went over as there was no fresh water wells so we had to bring enough to wash, cook and drink. We went walking each day and on Wednesday there were people all over one end of the island. We walked over to them and Martha Stewart was filming a segment for her show about some bird they had on the island that lived underground. We meant and talked to Martha, it was long before her incarceration, and she was actually quite pleasant to talk to. Those are a few of the more notable ones that came to mind the rest were pretty standard stuff.

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
The woods. Any woods will work. But, I think I had the best vacation of my life a couple years ago when the wife and I went to Ketchum, Idaho.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Deadeye said:
Well see'n as how I find myself on perminant vacation , I just go out to my wood shop to unwind. I'm so calm & collected I never get wound up if you've noticed. :twisted:
"WHO" are you talking to? One of those other voices have taken over.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
North to the woods or were ever my boy happens to be stationed.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
XLCH said:
Danny, want me to find you an avatar???

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
no where............ :cry:

one of these days, i'd like to go see MT. Rushmore and also Yellowstone park. I really want to ride one of those passenger trains that travel through the northwest to see the country with the dining/observation car like i've seen in the movies.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
Natalie said:
XLCH said:
not sure I can trust you :eek:

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
XLCH said:
Natalie said:
XLCH said:
not sure I can trust you :eek:
YOU CAN'T . . . I'm your sister! ha ha :twisted:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts