Gunner Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been polkin' around here and there visitn' a few boards doin' some research for my next purchase and a re-occourin' theme keeps poppin' up----what has happened to American made firearms?

Readin' over things, it strikes me an awful lot like the automotive industry. Either the foreign companies are settin' up plants here, or the US makers are settin' up plants over-seas and bringin' in foreign made parts or copies.

Reington has apparently given up on producin' more affordable quality guns and are doin' the russian lines under the "spartan" name....

Smith & Wesson has gone into "turkish" made shotguns............

Mossberg--as i understand it----now are assembled in the USA.........but the only shotgun parts that are made here is the stocks and receivers, the barrels, trigger assemblies and such are made in old mexico and trucked back in for assembly and final finishing.

Springfield armory is in name only, they produce nothing and are an importer........

Winchester shotguns i believe are now over-seas such as the o/u, and of course winchester and browning are both owned by belgium............

Don't know anymore about weatherby and if the vanguard is USA or still jap made......

H&R has its imported pump guns from china

Marlin has its high-end shotguns from spain?

Beretta is on US soil soley because of a military contract

Taurus built a plant to produce the 22 pocket pistols only to get around the gun import laws

The number one guns in police holsters are all foreign with glock, sig, and beretta leading the way.

So far, at least we do have the market cornered on the ar-15 and high-end 1911's.
Colt, Ruger, and kel-tec are still all-American as far as i know in their guns and gun parts---oops! never mind........done forgot, they are contractin' with mecgar out of Italy for magazines.......

This global economy has dang near been the death of the US gun industry. Heck, the gun grabbers don't have to lift a finger! With domestically produced guns disappearin', sooner or later we will pi**-off the wrong folks and import bans will take place and we will be high and dry for guns, gun parts, or magazines!!!!!!!

Just about the same thing can be said for ammo. Cheap US ammo is gettin' hard to find while the imports keep makin' inroads into the market....Imagine what would happen if the import ammo dried up..........

Just a rant, heck, i know its my fault. Too many years i guess cuttin' corners at times and buyin' because solely on price point........but at the same time, i feel that US companies can become competitive if they want to and that the feds need to offer some protection for our industry in the form of tarriffs to make the playin' field more level......After all, labor in china is what-- a dollar a day???? And i read somewhere that mexico labors gets $250.00/month. Free trade in one thing, but this is absolute BS It's only free trade if our livin' standards drop down to theirs........

From a nation of producers to nation of consumers----the future looks bleak..........

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
The other problem is that the industry is owned by a few holding corporations, and the CEOs don't know their ass from a hole in the ground about guns. They only know how to look at ledgers, and make useless guns that they see in lame action movies. Hence, a Remington AR. And it seems a bad national security and military strategery policy to have foreign manufacturers making out weaponry, with Chinese steel. "Hey Italy, we need some more M9s, cause we are planning to invade you next week."

Airline industries file chapter 11 because they suck, they get a federal multi-billion bailout. Pro sports bleed states dry. Ridiculous union benefits packages are backed by the Treasury. Winchester goes broke producing M1s at a loss for war efforts and get the big F.U.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Since WWII....we have been giving this country away...building by building...business by business...by people AND politicians who have nothing in mind but their own financial benefit...a few hundred thousand...a million..."I'm set for life"....screw the USA and all my friends and neighbors....from the layoffs of loyal employees with 20+ years faithful service to the "outsourcing" of telephone operator/customer service jobs....leaving thousands of Americans without jobs....it's all about profit and nothing about what's good for the USA....our grandmothers and grandfathers would be shocked, outraged, and ashamed.....

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Amen, Sheepdog. People used to put the country first. Now it is all about what is in it for me. But, the #1 entity that is the most guilty is our own government. They have sold us out for their personal enrichment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts