Gunner Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm new to firearms and I just received my FID and hang gun purchase permits from my local PD. I will be taking a basic hand gun course in order to get familiar with hand guns and to get a feel for what I want and what feels best in my hands.

In the mean time I'm wondering if any fellow forum members can tell me where in Bergen County, NJ (or the surrounding area) I can find a friendly firearms store that doesn't mind talking to newbies. So far I've called Meltzers in Garfield and whoever I spoke with on the phone had a serious attitude problem so I won't be spending my money there.

·
Registered
16,373 Posts
I live across the country and can't help you find a specific store but most places are willing to talk to newbies. Just try searching on the internet.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I have to say that so far the few guns shops I have called have had a serious attitude problem. When I called one place the first thing I said was " how are you" all I had on the other end of the phone was dead silence for a few seconds followed by "what do you want".

·
Registered
16,373 Posts
Thanks, I have to say that so far the few guns shops I have called have had a serious attitude problem. When I called one place the first thing I said was " how are you" all I had on the other end of the phone was dead silence for a few seconds followed by "what do you want".
Gun stores are very busy right now and aren't in the best of moods because they are running out of product to sell and their futures are uncertain. A lot of gun stores won't even answer the phones because they are ringing constantly. They want to spend time with the people in front of them. Around here we have several gun stores and some are real nice and some are aren't.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your explanation makes sense. From the phone calls I've made it seems like the bigger sporting goods outfits by me seem friendlier than the smaller gun shops. However, I would rather give my business to the smaller local shops. My main reason for making the calls is to get an average feel for the cost of the shotgun and handgun. My budget is a bit tight for both so I need to be sure that when I walk in I'm not wasting the shop's time.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Cant really help ya either. I will always go local than I will go to the BIG stores.. My 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
16,373 Posts
Your explanation makes sense. From the phone calls I've made it seems like the bigger sporting goods outfits by me seem friendlier than the smaller gun shops. However, I would rather give my business to the smaller local shops. My main reason for making the calls is to get an average feel for the cost of the shotgun and handgun. My budget is a bit tight for both so I need to be sure that when I walk in I'm not wasting the shop's time.
You picked the worst time possible to want to buy a firearm.

·
Super Moderator
10,832 Posts
Do you know anyone with an FFL and whatever NJ license they need to sell firearms? I would do an FFL search for your area. If there are gun clubs close by they may be able to help and it would be good to join one and further your instruction until gun safety is ingrained in your psyche. The reason I mentioned an FFL is you could then buy from national outfits like Buds Gun Shop or the FFL could go thru a wholesaler for you.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Good info Terry.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts