Gunner Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had some recent snow fall up high on the tops of the ridge over looking Columbia Falls, Mt

Shot from the same place by the Flathead River, as you can see there is alot of water flowing very swift here.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Now this turned out real nice, if you look closely you'll see it is snowing off in the distance. Your looking into the Gateway that leads to Glacier National Park which is just a few miles off from here.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
It truly is God's country. What are the average seasonal temperatures in Montana? I hear your winters can be fierce but no one mentions spring, summer and fall. Just curious.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Natalie said:
It truly is God's country. What are the average seasonal temperatures in Montana? I hear your winters can be fierce but no one mentions spring, summer and fall. Just curious.
Now that is a good question..... what is normal for the rest of the country is not normal for Montana. Right now it is 44* and raining, last nights temps were 38*. Todays highs are expected to be about 67* with this next week expected to get 10* to 20* lower than normal. The only question is "What is normal?"

If visiting Montana, it is wise depending on just where your gonna head to here to carry 4 seasons of cloths just in case you run into bad weather. We have been known to get snow in Glacier National Park in mid July, while the weather in the Flathead Valley is nice and sunny... go figure.

But it is always wise to pack along a rain coat/jacket, sweater, long pants, sweat pants, warm socks etc for the un-expected during a summer visits.

But on an average day here in Spring can range 50 to 69* Summer can range from 60 to 79* normally then August/Sept heat up to 75 to 85* usually here in the North West, but can reach up to the high 90's. Winter can be the worst of the worst for sub-zero temps been known to reach -67* zero wind chill temp where you want every inch of exposed skin covered. Then that is not the normal seasonal temp as the average can hover around 10* or 20* which you can put on enough cloths for.

One must aclimate to Montana, and usually takes about 3 yrs to get used to our weather here in the NW parts.

Here is a picture I took one year while hunting above the Flathead Valley, and as you can see the valley was clouded in, and I was up in the clear COLD weather. As I remember this day it was around 0* that is ZERO DEGREE physical temp, and had trouble getting my camera lense to stop fogging up.

My brother who lives down south in Huntsville Al once said, "How can you live in that cold" and just simply reminded him, that we don't have their snakes, their Virginia Creeper vines, poison ivy and humid conditions like they do.

I can tell you though, that the coldest place to be on a winters day, is the back side of a horse :D

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I don't think I could stay there...I hate extreme cold...and snow...but the pictures you've shared show it to be some of the prettiest most awesome country on Earth...and I know the camera can only capture so much....seems like most of it hasn't been all screwed up by man...when my 20-year-old was born, our mid-wife was from Montana....she talked about what the strip mining has done to some of it...she also said at that time, Montana had fewer people than any state in the Union...always wanted to see it....

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sheepdog said:
I don't think I could stay there...I hate extreme cold...and snow...but the pictures you've shared show it to be some of the prettiest most awesome country on Earth...and I know the camera can only capture so much....seems like most of it hasn't been all screwed up by man...when my 20-year-old was born, our mid-wife was from Montana....she talked about what the strip mining has done to some of it...she also said at that time, Montana had fewer people than any state in the Union...always wanted to see it....
It really is not all that bad, you can get used to it. Alot of our retiree's are snow birds and head to Arizona for the winter. The strip mining for the most part was over in the Butte area. She was very right about our states population with less than 1 million people state wide. They say our biggest export are our educated youth, as they leave to make the almighty dollar else where moving to such places like California etc.

But for those that want to see my side of Montana here is a link: Flathead Valley, Montana

Montana State Information

Enjoy

PS: I truly believe that Montana beats Hawaii by a long shot.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Hawaii has no appeal for me...but your state is breathtaking...a little short on hula girls, though......

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
God I love Montana.

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
He does, too, by the way He dressed it up so pretty...and a bit wild.....

·
Registered
3,985 Posts
Beautiful. Nothing like June snow! When my wife and I went to Idaho a couple years ago, we left KY in June. When we arrived in Ketchum, ID, there was still quite a bit of snow left on the mountain peaks.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sheepdog said:
Hawaii has no appeal for me...but your state is breathtaking...a little short on hula girls, though......
Some of those hula girls leave a lot to be desired, and I will leave it at that.... ah but those cowgirls and I don't mean the cheerleaders..... mmmmmmm there is just something about a woman who can ride a horse and wears a set of Wranglers if you know what I mean.

This is a sign I found.....

·
Registered
977 Posts
man that is some beautiful country.....almost makes me wanna move. I'm deffinately going to visit......

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
You ain't wrong there...knew lotsa them barrel roper girls in ETex growing up...most of them goooood wimmen....and blue jeans done proud on them gals for sure...full length or cutoffs....most of 'em grandmas now...times do change things......

·
Registered
892 Posts
:cool: Those are some absolute knockout photo's. How high are the mountains in that area ? I've been in Colorado, & they look similar to those. Sure is a beautiful country, isn't it ? I think My favorites are Colorado & New Mexico. No matter where You go in this country, there is variety & beauty !
:roll: Well, . . . . maybe not Kansas. Never liked Ks., as it is just too flat & featureless, & "HOT" for Me. Seems like You drive for hours, & don't even have to turn the steering wheel ! Or, maybe I just didn't get thru the interesting parts. They do have some good Steak Restraunts in Ks. though. Other than that, the only other place in Ks. I found reason to stop, was Dodge City ! (Loved it !)
SO SORRY, if anyone here is from Kansas. :oops:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't know the elevation, but do know they are lower than one range I climbed to the top of that is 7900 ft called Mt Anayus where you can see 75 miles in any direction. I'm headed back up to Columbia Falls area on Tuesday, and if it is clear I will be taking some more pictures.

BTW - we got good steak houses around here with a good Rocky Mountain view :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts