Gunner Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080502/ap_ ... dent_death

Police: Slain student apparently dialed 911; help not sent By RYAN J. FOLEY, Associated Press Writer
Thu May 1, 11:50 PM ET

MADISON, Wis. - A college student apparently called 911 from her cell phone shortly before she was killed but a dispatcher hung up, failed to call back and never sent police to investigate, authorities said Thursday.

Madison Police Chief Noble Wray said it was too early to know whether a better response could have prevented the April 2 slaying of Wisconsin-Madison student Brittany Zimmermann or helped police capture her killer.

Authorities refused to release the content of the phone call, but Wray said it should have been enough for the Dane County 911 Center to take it seriously.

"It would be accurate to state that there is evidence contained in the call, which should have resulted in a Madison police officer being dispatched," Wray said at a news conference. "The 911 center did not call back to the telephone number, Madison police were not notified and no officer was sent."

Zimmermann, 21, was found slain in her apartment in an apparently random crime. Police believe someone broke into her apartment before killing her. They have not identified a suspect but have ruled out her fiance, who found her body in the apartment they shared.

Dane County Public Safety Communications Director Joseph Norwick said the dispatcher who received the call from Zimmermann's cell phone inquired several times to determine whether an emergency existed. The dispatcher hung up after receiving no answer and then answered another 911 call that was waiting, he said.

The dispatcher failed to call the number back as required under the department's policy, Norwick said.

Norwick said he was investigating the incident and reviewing whether policies should be changed and employees should be disciplined. But he also said, "I don't think there's anything to apologize for at this time."

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
When folks call 911, its happenin' now--------not 7 minutes from now which i understand to be the avg response time to a "hot" 911 call..................and thats for city folk, believe me the further out of the city you live the more you're on your own..............................

The cavalry usually does not arrive in the nick of time to save the day.............

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
If you guys are right, why does that job exist? That's an important job and if the employees go there to read a book or chat, then give them a permanent good-bye. Whoever took that call wasn't doing their job! Feels like no one can be trusted anymore. My husband always carries. I walk around with just me - no gun or anything. Maybe I'd like one for Mothers Day. Where we live 911 always immediately responds and keeps you on the phone till the cops arrive. Our Fire Dept and Police Force are top notch. Actually, if you're going to live in the burbs, ours is the BEST.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wizard said:
I'm telling you, folks.....DONT TRUST 911.....place all of your trust in 1911..... :twisted:
Oh I do brother! I do! :twisted:

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Deadeye nailed it...my trigger is my alarm device...when I'm done, Happy Maids could do about as much good as 911-----I've called our center shared by 3 towns over a dozen times in the last ten years....the officer never gets the info I give...I have to answer all their stupid questions before they send anyone...and they miss all the important info the officer needs.....it's scary for us and the officers.....I am my own first response.....

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
I wouldn't mess with you! No sir, and I used to be a tough cookie. ;)

I fibbed. I was never really tough.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Wife was a Dispatcher for our police Dept, I have seen that job in action and it is crazy..
I have seen her with a phone in each ear and talking on a radio at the same time she is on the phone then also typing info...I have also seen the constant calls on 911 that are about directions and misc...stuff that a person would call on a business line...
I have seen those kind of calls tie up the 911 system..She has to answer and decide if there is a problem..

"It would be accurate to state that there is evidence contained in the call, which should have resulted in a Madison police officer being dispatched," Wray said at a news conference. "The 911 center did not call back to the telephone number, Madison police were not notified and no officer was sent."
That kind of call should have made that dispatchers red flag go off... :oops:
That is protocol all the way..There is no way that should not have been taken seriously..
that is very sad to hear...

I live in the city so our police response is very fast and they are awesome..I used to live in the county..There it could be 30 minutes to a hour before a officer shows up...

For Me, I am always armed... :cool:

These are some great replies on this..cool post :D

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
Well, I gave Deadeye credit for Wiz's post...sorry....Natalie...911 serves a purpose...it is something the helpless can do...it brings medical help....but when your door comes open at 11 p.m.---the cellphone won't help us at all...put your hand on a gun and pray not to miss....THEN call 911 and fight the myriad questions they'll ask before they send anyone out.....the only difference I would advise is if the problem is happening and you are ready to stop it....dial 911 and throw the phone down between you and the entry....let them hear what happens and document things you might forget....don't pick it up till it's all over...you can't talk on the phone and fight effectively....don't trust the police to save you...it's not their job, and they have to go to the bathroom, too...I'm not dying because the beat cop is stuck in the local service station restroom out of paper.............not me.....

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Natalie, lets assume that 911 operator is doing the job correctly and swiftly...that person notifies the police, and a police officer is dispatched to your house. By the time said officer arrives (even if it's only 3 - 5 minutes), the bad guy has already done you in....now, what good did 911 do for you. I trust myself and my wife, and our firearms to protect us....not someone on the other end of a phone. The bad guy is here and now...some am I, armed with my firearm.....

·
Registered
189 Posts
you all are correct there...by the time someone gets in my house or whereever...they best be ready to fight..

dial 911 and throw the phone down between you and the entry....let them hear what happens and document things you might forget....don't pick it up till it's all over...you can't talk on the phone and fight effectively....
that is about the only way I would do it after being prepared to deal with the threat...
:twisted:

this is a intersting post...I like it..makes you think :cool:

·
Administrator
10,959 Posts
At night when the perps do their work they will have to break in to get into my house. They may be poor and misguided but at that point the police can come over and put a chaulk outline around one of us.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
You guys are right. Richard can shoot and he can carry concealed and he always does (is that CCW?). He totally agrees with you guys. He and my brother have been trying to make me understand because I don't like going to bed with a loaded firearm nearby. I can be bull-headed sometimes. I thank you guys for helping me to understand the whys. I cannot carry but should probably take the course and then I could. This world has changed so much since the times when people would sleep with their windows open and doors unlocked. Anymore it's not always at night but also daytime that homes are broken into. Wizard, is your wife licensed (or whatever it's called)? How long does it take. How good do you have to be?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Yes, my wife does have her CCW, and can shoot every gun we have....sometimes, better than I can. :eek: I'll be honest...I might be a little parnoid but I have at least one gun in every room of the house....in my bedroom, I have three handguns, two rifles, and 2 shotguns....all loaded, because an unloaded gun is of absolutly no use.

The rules and requirements for CCW are different from state to state, as is the time it take to get your CC permit from the state. Here in Florida, it seems as though everyone is applying, so the lag time now is about 8 - 12 weeks.

·
Administrator
10,959 Posts
Wizard said:
I might be a little parnoid but I have at least one gun in every room of the house....in my bedroom, I have three handguns, two rifles, and 2 shotguns....all loaded, because an unloaded gun is of absolutly no use.
Now I understand why you are the supreme ruler of the known universe. I only have one upstairs and one down, the rest are in the safe.

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have one next to my bed, one on me, and a few in my gun/reloading room that I can get to pretty fast. :)

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I sleep in a pair of cutoffs with one .45 in the belt...another about 3 steps away..a .20 and P95 in master bedroom, .38 and .357 in other two....and a little suprise in the laundry room....High Standard 9-shot .22....and a .20 in the garage...two steps away is too far...need to have something literally within arm's reach...home invasions are on the rise....3-5 armed punks kick in the door and grab whoever they can use as hostages...they're not playing....neither are we......

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Oh, was I supposed to count the one I wear????? :lol:

The other safety feature we utilize is steel bars on all windows and doors. Of course each window has an escape to it. I go around once a month and ensure the locks on those windows are working properly.....

·
Registered
22,098 Posts
I wouldn't mind the bars on windows bit...long as they had the escapes....used to be the home invasions were only in the fatcat areas...now they are everywhere...any knock at the door at night gets met with .45 tucked behind my leg....this ain't poker...

1 - 20 of 38 Posts