Gunner Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I load the tube on my 97 and try to cycle a shell into the chamber the shell gets stuck as it starts out of the tube. The shell never gets into the bolt area and it is difficult to get the shell back into the tube and close the breach. Anyone have a fix for this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How busy can a man be?

Sorry folks for not being on the forum for a bit but I am in a big move and trying to get years and years of stuff packed is a bigger job than I thought.

Well this 97 I have here is a Black Diamond Trap gun I bought last year from a guy on the internet. Well it looked good and of course didn't have shells in it to check the workings but the slide seemed smooth and it dry fired... Needless to say it was a few months before I loaded it and went to pattern it when I discovered the cycling issue.

Now what happened is with the breech open the shell should release from the feed tube and enter but it only releases but never enters. Something is stopping it from feeding. Hence the failure and that has me stumped. I will take tx gun runner's advice and tear it down and see if there is something visible. This is an original 97 Trap gun. I have another but it's not in as good a condition but it shoots. Also has an interesting story.

Thank you all for you kindness to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well here I am 2100 miles later in Missouri. I am going to look into a better breakdown of this model 1897. If anyone has an address where I may obtain a schematic of this action I would appreciate it.
Happy new year to all and thanks.

·
Registered
11,626 Posts
Well here I am 2100 miles later in Missouri. I am going to look into a better breakdown of this model 1897. If anyone has an address where I may obtain a schematic of this action I would appreciate it.
Happy new year to all and thanks.
That paste I posted has a Schematic in it . The difference between a 1897 and a model 12 Winc is the #12 is a hammerless and 1897 has a hammer . Most parts and barrels will interchange beween the #12 and 1897 so most parts are easy to find . Try Gun Parts in paste below

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

·
Registered
1 Posts
1897 win won't cycle either

I have the same issue as italstalyon. My 97 12 ga take down won't feed the shells from the mag to the carrier. It seems as if the rim of the shell is hanging up on the lip of the carrier like the carrier doesn't drop down low enough. I used it for ducks some time ago and it always worked just fine. I did loan it out to a friend and it came back with a busted fore end which I replaced. I didn't try loading it at the time but the action seems fine. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2 Posts
1897 win won't cycle either

I have the same issue as italstalyon. My 97 12 ga take down won't feed the shells from the mag to the carrier. It seems as if the rim of the shell is hanging up on the lip of the carrier like the carrier doesn't drop down low enough. I used it for ducks some time ago and it always worked just fine. I did loan it out to a friend and it came back with a busted fore end which I replaced. I didn't try loading it at the time but the action seems fine. Any thoughts?
it’s the ring that stops your pump handle from going down farther. beat that ring down the mag tube and it will let the carrier drop more

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
Not to pick at a new guy, but you just answered a six year old post; and it was the poster's first and only post.

Anyhoo, welcome from Virginia......:oops:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not to pick at a new guy, but you just answered a six year old post; and it was the poster's first and only post.

Anyhoo, welcome from Virginia......:oops:
well no one could answer his question and i saw it on google and figured i’d make account to answer it.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
well no one could answer his question and i saw it on google and figured i’d make account to answer it.
I appreciate it.
If I ever have that problem with my 97, I'll remember what you said.

·
Administrator
11,062 Posts
Why don't you post up a thread in the new users section and introduce yourself. Thanks for posting the info and welcome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts