Gunner Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's out of town competing in a horse show this weekend, and I always surprise her with some home project while she's gone. This year it's the window boxes in front of the house she's been wanting forever.

My question is, once you get them installed, do you just put dirt in them? Or do you have to put gravel in the bottom like you do in a potted plant sometimes? It has drain holes in it.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
You have three options for planting your window box:

Plant directly in the container.

Drop in potted plants and fill around them with moss, bark, or another lightweight material.

Put plants in a plastic or metal liner that fits inside the box. With this method, you can rotate liners and add fresh plants when current plantings pass their prime.

Basically, you plant the same way you do in any container. Cover the drain holes, fill with soil mixture, and firm soil around plants, leaving at least 1 inch at the top for watering. Use routine good care on the window box, starting with regular watering, feeding with a liquid fertilizer, and deadhead to remove faded flowers and leaves.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Natalie. There's a hose right there so they will be easy to water.

I never thought of putting potted plants in there pots and all, I like that idea! As long as the pots are not taller than the sides, that should look fine.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bountyhunter said:
Cast&Blast said:
My wife's out of town competing in a horse show this weekend,
:?
Okay my wife and her horse are out of town at a competition this weekend. :D

Gotta watch what you say when Bountyhunter's watchin'!

·
Registered
11,450 Posts
Bountyhunter said:
I wasn't saying anything. :lol:
:lol: :lol: I didn't catch the nothing that you said until you said it. You're razor sharp BH.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts