1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very wise words........to heed.

During this political season lets be reminded of these
wise words.

You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich.

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the
strong.

You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging
thrift.

You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage
payer down.

You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting
class hatred.

You cannot build character and courage by taking away
men's initiative and independence.

You cannot help men permanently by doing for them,
what they could and should do for themselves.

--Abraham Lincoln

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Great words indeed!

Why don't you like Lincoln, Wizard. :?

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Abraham Lincoln is the only president in the history of the United States to ever invade his own country with the military. Maryland legislature was just before voting on whether or not to secede from the union, and the prevailing feeling was that they would secede and join the Confederate States of America. Lincoln ordered the union army to invade Maryland, and to put the governor and the legislature into prison, before they even had a chance to bring it to vote....he placed Maryland under miltary rule.

Secondly, the only reason Lincoln passed the Emancipation Proclimation was because he was sure the he was going to be defeated in the upcomming election. Lincoln did not care whether slavery existed or not...the only thing he cared about was keeping the Union together. He even stated that he did not believe that black people were the equal of whites, and also said that he did not believe they should have a vote concerning elected officials because he did not believe they were capable of making intellegent decisions. In his state of the union message, he said that if keeping slavery would keep the union together he would keep it...if abolishing slavery would keep the union together, he would abolish it. He just didn't care one way or the other when it came to slavery.

The crap that has been taught about Lincoln in our school system is a lot of mis-information. The blacks have been led to believe that he was their big savior, second only to Jesus Christ, himself. That is just flat wrong. Abraham Lincoln didn't even like black people. But, as with all other things, people just accept what they are told....most people are too lazy to do a little research on their own. I have studied the whys and wherefores of the War Between the States for many years, and to be perfectly honest, this is definately a case of "the victor writes the history"......

BTW: prejudice (no matter who it is) is intollerable, and totally unacceptable....but, in my opinion, so is mis-information.....

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
Thanks for explaining. When I have a little more time I'll post more on the subject.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts