Gunner Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
i think it is because they are a "protecterate" or something like that of the U.S.---kind of like guam. Not a State, but still considerd to be part of the U.S. but with a heck of a lot more independence-----not a bad postion to be in.................

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Hey at least we stopped all that nonsense talk about making Puerto Rico the 51st state.

I believe their official title is "territory", what ever that means.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
John, why shouldn't we make them a state? They now pay medicare and SS tax, why not make them pay federal income tax like the rest of us....they get the bennies....tax them.....shoot, they even have a big V.A hospital there.....

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Because I don't THINK we give them money for things like infastructure and schools...But I could be mistaken, that was just always my understanding of the deal.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
According to the website http://welcome.topuertorico.org/government.shtml , Puerto Rican people are ineligible to vote in the Presidential election. It says that they also do not receive some revenues that are reserved for states....

BTW: Puerto Rico is a "self governing commonwealth, in association with the United States of America". Puerto Rico's President is George Bush....it's vice President is Dick Chaney, and it's Governor is Anibal Acevedo Vila.

PR also has representation in both the federal House and Senate, but, that is a non-voting representation. PR government controls it's internal affairs...everything else (a very long list of things) is controled by the USA.

I still think they should be a state and have to pay taxes the same as us....

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
But if I'm not mistaken (having never been there) isn't Puerto Rico VERY poor. Wouldn't we be just getting a bad deal on that one. If they're poor, they wouldn't pay anything in taxes, but we would have to pay for LOTS of social programs.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I went to Puerto Rico 4 times in the 1970's. That place isn't that poor. You have the different levels of income, just like any other American State. Their tourism is almost as good as Florida's.....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It's kind of the only vote they get. They have an observer in Congress, with no voting power. Same as Guam.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
John, if you want to see poor, go to Haiti, sometime. I went 4 or 5 times in the 1970's -courtesy of Uncle Sugar's Great Canoe Club - now that place is dirt poor. At that time, the average annual income for a Haitian household was approximately $4.00 US/year.....the place had raw sewage running in the streets of Port AU Prince...the capital city. We stake out cows...they stake out chickens....if they have the chicken.....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
rp_cavanaugh said:
It's kind of the only vote they get. They have an observer in Congress, with no voting power. Same as Guam.
Wonder how much that guy gets paid. Sounds like a sweet gig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts