Gunner Forum banner

Would You Do This?

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  tx gun runner 
#1 ·
I recently picked up some ammo for my GSR, and this ammo is marked as being designed for HD. Now, I'm no ballistics expert, but I'd be hesitant to use a .308 for HD unless I was in a real pinch....I'm thinking about excessive muzzle blast and overpenetration, even if the intended target is struck. The only reason I bought this ammo was because I needed some .308, and it was all I could find at the time. Still: Would anyone here consider using a .308 for HD?

#3 · (Edited)
Oops, sorry about that, 303...let me rectify that omission right now: It's Winchester PDX1 Defender ammo, 120 grain split core HP. Emblazoned in red on the box is the legend "Stop The Threat". I've seen this ammo line in other calibers, mainly handgun rounds. But this? Nope, not until recently. If it's designed for HD, as the packaging indicates, one would think the bullet is constructed in such a way so as to minimize risk of over-penetration, but still.......

#8 ·
Home defense as in an intruder in the house? It certainly wouldn't be my pick and I don't even have to worry about hitting next door neighbors. Home defense as in someone is attacking you from outside the house? I could see a 308 in the right gun, sure.

#12 ·
I personally, would not use any .308,(or any centerfire rifle for that matter) regardless of ammo, for inside HD, except as a last resort. That is what shotguns, handguns, and pistol caliber carbines are for. But if everything else was exhausted or unreachable I would use whatever I could get my hands on.

#13 ·
Brother has a HK91 as a SHTF gun, says it would be good on a yard full of Zombies...:-D

#15 ·
I would use that at my Eburg place, sitting on my hill I had a good 300 yard field of fire, better to stop intruders before they got in the house. Not a fan of long guns for home defense!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.