Gunner Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be purchasing two new computers in the near future, a laptop and a desktop, and would like to hear those who own pcs with Vista or who have experience with it. I'm trying to make the determination if it's a reliable O/S and ergo, worth purchasing or if I should stick with XP? Dell still offers laptops and desktops with that O/S so I've been mulling it over.

Your thoughts and opinions of Vista, please. If you'd like to weigh in on brands of pcs as well and your opinions of them, please feel free to do so. Thank you!
:D

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Trust me....stick with XP. I've set up Vista and it uses way too much overhead, and isn't as stable as XP. To tell you the truth, XP is the most stable and the best operating system MS as ever released.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
we have a wally-world computer at a desk that is xp.
we have a lap top (paying on it) from del that has vista.

xp wins hands down as some of the programs that del put on this thing ain't compatible with vista.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input so far guys. My gut instinct had me leaning towards XP but your feedback is validating said instinct..

:eek:

·
Site Founder
25,453 Posts
I've heard that XP is better, but that shortly only Vista and Vista compatable programs will be available. My fear would be buying XP and finding it obsolete within a year.

·
Administrator
10,959 Posts
I've used an HP load with vista for close to a year. It was able to load the M/S Office for XP Professional without any problem. My old Palm PDA (ancient from 2002) wouldn't load and the software for my digital camera wouldn't load but I did a plug'n'play and microsoft recoginized the Sony Cameral so don't need the software as microsoft will pull the pictures in with a cable connection. I use Tax Cut for income taxes and it was compatible. With XP my HP laser printer wouldn't function after I loaded a photo printer drivers but Vista handles both. I thought the printer had broken but it works fine now.

I really haven't had any of the horror stories you hear and the PC boots about twice as fast as my old Toshiba XP machine. The speed of the machines isn't that much different so it must be the software. No problem here.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
The hospital I retired from just finished conducting a 3 month study of several machines using Vista....they are staying with XP.....determined they did not want 4000 problems hanging off they network.....

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Why mess with a tried and tru system - XP all the way.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I now have Vista, IT SUCKS in so many ways I don't have time to go into! I talked to one of those Geek Squad guys & he said if I switch over my other hardware won't be compatable! :evil: Also if you want to stay with XP you need to be sure your hardware is compatable. Microsoft is going to phaseout XP in June 08, so finding compatable soft & hardware is going to get tough. Just another example of the Corporate Nazis break'n it off in your old Bunghole once again! :evil:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds like a case of, damned if you do and damned if you don't. I guess if I get the laptop with XP and a desktop with Vista, I'll only be partially damned then. lol :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it's damned by 2x now. LOL I figured I'd be better off with going ahead and doing the painful thing now (like ripping a band aid off the skin and a lot of hair going in the process) and getting Vista and getting accustomed to it since it's going to be THE O/S in the near future. I ordered a Gateway desktop with 4 gigs of RAM and a HP laptop with 3 gigs of RAM so I hope I'm ready for this resource-hog. I'll keep you guys appraised of how they perform after I've gotten them and hooked 'em up. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wondered how that happened. :oops: I typed it out and hit submit and saw I was on another unrelated thread so hastily deleted it after cutting and pasting. All is right with the world now. LOL :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts